Page 1 of 3
Call me a n00b for not being in on this one. I hear this term thrown around a lot, and from what I gather, hipsters are basically indie kids that wear scarves and enjoy art. And they wear plaid. And do drugs.

Also they have beards?

Share your first hand experience with so called hipsters. I don't know of any that live where I do, but if I run into any, should I try to keep them off my lawn, or are they basically harmless?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
"Hipsters"?

I have no real information on this subject, but it seems that they are just new-age hippies, so long hair, beards, trippy music, drugs, love and peace?
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Don't talk music with them.

+1

"im so indie i listen to band that dont even exist yet."

that is their favorite quote.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Why do hipsters donate to Haiti?

Because it's underground!

>.>

<.<

v.v

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Honestly, I hate the term "hipster", because it seems like it can be applied to such a broad spectrum of people, and for some reason it has a negative connotation to it.

Like, I get called a hipster a lot, but I would hardly call myself one at all. Yes, I listen to a lot of bands that aren't exactly "popular" (like Neutral Milk Hotel, Fleet Foxes, Animal Collective, MGMT, etc etc), but that's because I like those bands, not because they're unpopular. Shit, I would be happy if the bands I listen to became popular.

I think it's a term that we need to get rid of. It and "indie music", because that doesn't even describe any music anymore. I've heard people call Animal Collective indie, and I've heard people call Phoenix indie, and they don't sound anything alike.

Stupid umbrella words are stupid, and umbrella words, which are, in themselves, stupid.
Yeah, they're basically liberal-art students and indians (indie music fans, not Native American or from India). They like irony, but, like the rest of the world, usually don't know what "irony" means.
Like hippies but not as 'out there'. They often have a messy-ish beard and then emo type hair, but they are moving away from that trend. They're also usually really annoying.
Quote by Echoplex
They like irony, but, like the rest of the world, usually don't know what "irony" means.

Atari shirts, death metal shirts and glasses which don't actually do anything.
Quote by maXterbat0r
and i'm a PC

got somethin to say?

I'm capable of driving eleven Chinese people to suicide, and I get no viruses.
Quote by DualReaver
I'm capable of driving eleven Chinese people to suicide, and I get no viruses.

shit you got me there
Quote by crazy8rgood
Honestly, I hate the term "hipster", because it seems like it can be applied to such a broad spectrum of people, and for some reason it has a negative connotation to it.

Like, I get called a hipster a lot, but I would hardly call myself one at all. Yes, I listen to a lot of bands that aren't exactly "popular" (like Neutral Milk Hotel, Fleet Foxes, Animal Collective, MGMT, etc etc), but that's because I like those bands, not because they're unpopular. Shit, I would be happy if the bands I listen to became popular.

I think it's a term that we need to get rid of. It and "indie music", because that doesn't even describe any music anymore. I've heard people call Animal Collective indie, and I've heard people call Phoenix indie, and they don't sound anything alike.

Stupid umbrella words are stupid, and umbrella words, which are, in themselves, stupid.

This is kind of how I felt upon hearing that hipsters are identifiable by their interest in art, music, literature, philosophy and film. WTF? Who isn't into that stuff? Everything has a stereotype these days.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I live in Portland, Oregon. We got a lot of hipsters.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by fail
This is kind of how I felt upon hearing that hipsters are identifiable by their interest in art, music, literature, philosophy and film. WTF? Who isn't into that stuff? Everything has a stereotype these days.

Exactly.

Stereotyping like that is ****ing retarded, and it makes people retarded.
Quote by primusfan
louisville has to be the hipster capital of the world.

I second this. Been there five times in 3 years and next time I go, I'm talking sharp objects to stab them with.
GO RAVENS!

Quote by Ssargentslayer
Waaaait....

Did you just say you can't rape?

2012 NFL Thread Mock Draft Champion
Hipsters are terrible and if you see one you should kill it. They expend all their energy trying to appear of they do not care. Their music sucks, due the fact that they only like bands 'ironically'. Also they smell almost as bad as hippies. Except at least hippies have sincere, albeit somewhat stupid beliefs. Hipsters don't believe in anything, they just do whatever they think will make them seem cool.

Double edit: Link removed due to presence of boobies.
kill all humans
Last edited by alaskan_ninja at May 23, 2010,
Quote by Austyn6661
starbucks. Every morning.

macbook. I'm posting from my Macbook Pro.

liberal. close...Libertarian.

that is all.

Oh no! I'm a hipster!
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Hipsters are terrible and if you see one you should kill it. They expend all their energy trying to appear of they do not care. Their music sucks, due the fact that they only like bands 'ironically'. Also they smell almost as bad as hippies. Except at least hippies have sincere, albeit somewhat stupid beliefs. Hipsters don't believe in anything, they just do whatever they think will make them seem cool.

Yeah, I honestly know maybe ONE person who would even maybe fit that description.

And that's only if you don't really know her.

Seriously. Hipster = Stupid term that should be gotten rid of.

In fact, I've found that most people who, without getting to know them, would be referred to as a hipster, are usually the more intelligent people of the bunch.
They're just hippies without the good music.
Normal is what people are until you get to know them
Hipsters are people? I thought they were pants...
I thought I was too old for this, but hey, here I am...
Quote by fail
should I try to keep them off my lawn,
you have a lawn? I imagined you to be a shaver.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I've seen em around here plenty, pretentious people really. They give the indie kids a bad name.
Page 1 of 3