I play my Fender Stratocaster through a Line 6 Spider III 15W amp with a few built-in effects and a pretty damn good reverb. I've just earned about 350 dollars, as well. I have tried a number of BOSS pedals at the local music shop and seemed to like them. I played the phaser and flanger, but couldn't find the need for those. I played the DD-3 Delay, Distortion DS-1 and the Chorus CH-1. I seemed to find the sound I like out of all of them. I'm definitely going to buy a wah pedal. However I'm on a budget to about $400. I don't really enjoy the Fuzz or any Metal of any sort. I stick to Classic Rock, Ska, Indie and Punk. So what I think My set up would end up at is:

DS-1 Distortion
CH-1 Chorus
DD-3 Delay
Wah Pedal

Any constructive criticism?
All 3 of those boss pedals are great units i have every single one of them. Very Versatile and have beautiful sound.
Would you recommend them? I mean i started my own band and play a pretty solid rhythm, I just needed to add a little variety and versatility.
I would use the $400 for a new amp and then save up for pedals later if your just starting a band you might not necessarily need pedals yet. Also, with a new amp it might have things in which case you wont need certain pedals. For example, if you get a new amp and you like the distortion you could just get a footswitch instead of buying a pedal. The pedals wont better your tone through a line six spider. What genres do you play also cuz the Ds-1 is more of a lighter type distortion imo.
Quote by dizzle_312
I would use the $400 for a new amp and then save up for pedals later if your just starting a band you might not necessarily need pedals yet. Also, with a new amp it might have things in which case you wont need certain pedals. For example, if you get a new amp and you like the distortion you could just get a footswitch instead of buying a pedal. The pedals wont better your tone through a line six spider. What genres do you play also cuz the Ds-1 is more of a lighter type distortion imo.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Grab a new amp. Pedals through a Spider is not going to sound good at all, especially an overdrive or a dirt box.

Also, you can do much better than Boss for cheaper, if you go used. However, the DS1 is an acquired taste; it's a very dry sounding distortion. You can easily mod them, or buy one modded that'll be way better (I'm not a big fan of the stock DS sound).

I'd get a nice solid state amp or tube amp (NOT MODELING).

The best rule of thumb is to start out with a solid amp that covers what you want to do, then build a solid pedalboard that accents what you like about your amp and that suits your musical needs.

Or you could just be like nightraven and be a total pedal *****

I'll ask the usual:

Budget?
Genre?
Willing to go used?
Nearest major city?
Gigging/jamming or bedroom player?

EDIT: I know you answered most of it in your post, but it's just a general list that we post without thinking .

Plus, it keeps it organized and concise in one post, which makes it easier on us.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at May 23, 2010,

I'll ask the usual:

Budget?
Genre?
Willing to go used?
Nearest major city?
Gigging/jamming or bedroom player?

My budget is about $400. I play strictly ska, indie, punk and classic rock. I would go used if that means a tad cheaper. I live right between Baltimore and Washington DC. I've played for about a year and with my band for about 5 months. We play mostly originals I might add.

I mean if we're going for incredible fidelity and stuff like that, I understand the new amp, but I've played those pedals right through the Line 6 and found the tone I like. I guess what I'm asking is if it's more of a personal preference than anything?
Finding the pedals and the tone you want is all personal preferences. Its all about how you want it to sound and as long as you like it then i guess go for it. However, keep in mind that if you want to start gigging with your band then you might want to get a new amp where you then might get a different tone then what you get with you line six spider. Also, have you compared the sound of your amp with any other amps? You might not realize it now but once you upgrade you will notice the difference.
Oh, damn, you're not too far from me actually. About an hour/two hours-ish.

It's definitely more of a personal preference, but your live sound will be excellent with a new amp. That Spider 15 is probably hurting playing high volumes like that.

If it were up to me, since it sounds like you play mostly clean/lower gain music, I'd get a good clean amp, like a Roland Jazz Chorus, and a nice dirt box. The Boss DS1 would be a good idea, because it's easily mod-able. You can find Jazz Choruses for super cheap used, and they take all pedals very, very well.

But, if you don't want to look into the new amp route, you could always get the pedals. But in your best interest, especially if your band plans on starting to gig, you should be looking into a new amp. Just my 0.02 though.

EDIT: Damnit dizzle
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Yeah I like just about anything and play anything. I'll just keep fiddling with it at the store until I can make up my mind. Thanks for your help man.
When you are at the store, just humor yourself and try a few different amps. Ask the guys in the store to show you some cheaper, low wattage (4-20 watts) tube amps as well as some medium wattage (30-60 watts) solid state amps. Play around on a few and compare it to the tone you get from your Spider. I would pay special attention to the low wattage tube amps myself.

Even if you decide to go ahead and snag some pedals and stick with your Spider for now, it would be good for you to try out some other amps just to see what the fuss is about. This way you will either decide to go with the advice in this thread and pick up a new amp or you will reaffirm what you think now and you will be confident with your decision!

If it were me, I'd take my $400, hit up eBay or Craigslist and get:

Used Fender Blues Jr. Amp - $250-300
Used RAT Distortion Pedal - $40-60
Used Vox 847A Wah Pedal - $40-60

Then once I saved up a few more bucks I would get one of these delays:
Used Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy - $60-75 on eBay or Craigslist
Used MXR Carbon Copy - $85-105 on eBay or Craigslist
Used Boss DD-6 - $75-90 on eBay or Craigslist

Personally I would actually get the delay before the wah, but you seem pretty set on the wah so that's cool, too. With the set up I just described you'll have great clean, light overdrive, and distortion sounds along with a wah and delay pedal to make things interesting. You might also consider getting an overdrive pedal instead of the RAT I recommended above if you are more into light distortion/drive tones. For that I would pick up a used Ibanez TS-9 for about $50.

You can cover a lot of territory with that rig and it'll all sound great. It'll sound plenty good enough and be plenty loud enough for basically any sized gig. Your 15 watt solid state Spider is going to really have trouble keeping up with a full band and general crowd noise in a small gig or possibly even at practice. The Blues Jr. is a 15 watt tube amp and it will have plenty of volume for even medium sized gigs. Once you get to medium and above sized gigs you will have a PA to work with most of the time as well.
Last edited by jimtaka at May 23, 2010,
I agree with you man. Is that a good rig for a sold start? And then just add on when I can sort of thing?