How do you tighten up an amp that sounds muddy?

I currently own a rockerverb 50 and it kills me how I can barely hear the individual notes when I play riffs - it sounds like they all blend in together. Lead lines aren't too bad, but riffs on the lower strings have little too no clarity.

what is the best way?

Purchasing an EQ rackamount or Pedal? OD pedal to tighten up rhythmn tone?
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
Gain 2 or 3 o clock.

Mid 2 o clock
Bass 11 o clock
treble 11 o clock
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
Turn up the treble and mids. Turn down the bass a touch.

Try an EQ, it's helped loads with my VK's clarity problems.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah, that's right! I hardly ever play loud enough for my old ass tubes to sound muddy these days

Plus this guys got a $3000+ amp setup. I have a $600 amp setup.
Last edited by jimtaka at May 24, 2010,
Quote by psychosylocibin
Gain 2 or 3 o clock.

Mid 2 o clock
Bass 11 o clock
treble 11 o clock

the problem is your mids are too high. Call your tech see if he can mod your amp so that you can get your mids a little lower. Orange's are really middy so you should definitely try to cut out more mids.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
the problem is your mids are too high. Call your tech see if he can mod your amp so that you can get your mids a little lower. Orange's are really middy so you should definitely try to cut out more mids.

Or just turn down the Mid knob
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LOL, mod your amp in order to turn down the mids? I can do that mod!
Quote by LaidBack
Or just turn down the Mid knob

it's just not enough.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer

/concede.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
This is the sole reason why I sold my Rockerverb and went back with Marshall. Rockerverbs are just too warm sounding for my liking and lack definition.

My advise! Mess around with the eq, if you still don't like it sell it and get either a Marshall JVM or DSL
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Dont oranges come with pretty shit chinese valves these days.
A swap would probably help alot.

Try out an EQ.

If no success, you just arent an orange fan. Theyre dark and gloomy sounding, thats what theyre supposed to be like.
I already tried to scoop out the entire mid section, and this helps (a little). The next step I suppose would be to purchase an EQ unit and mess with that, although I feel like by the time I get a tight tone that is not muddy I will have veered so far off from the oranges original tone that I might as well of just bought another amp!

Someone here said something about getting a marshall? I tried one at a guitar store the other day (forgot what kind....dual super lead). I was really digging it.

Oh BTW I am a HUGE of the orange tone - I think that thing spits out an Gain channel that is just freaking orgasmic - if you are playing Straight up rock. If you are playing Dream theatre or progressive metal material, not so much.
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
Last edited by psychosylocibin at May 24, 2010,
Sure, oranges are voiced for old school stuff, indie, and sludgey/stoner stuff that doesnt require much deffinition but lots of warmth and bottom end, but they deffinately arent made for shredding and crystal clarity for leadwork.
Quote by psychosylocibin
I already tried to scoop out the entire mid section...

He was being sarcastic...

Set up your EQ flat, the gain lower than 12 o'clock. Listen to how it sounds, find out what's lacking and turn the knobs accordingly. Your current problem seems to be too much bass and possibly too much gain.
This is how the Rockerverb sounds. The notes blend together.

An EQ peda/OD pedal/speaker swap/valve swap might fix the issue. But it sounds more like you've got the wrong amp. Just my 2c.