Page 1 of 2
First of all, I am a bassist; don't get the impression that I think bass is worthless. For this band, however, I'm the drummer.

Basically, my band all hates our bassist (now ex-bassist); just absolute hate. We stuck with him with plans to replace him as soon as a replacement became available (nobody plays bass, dammit). Well, one did. Now, the lead guitarist is refusing to play with our old bassist anymore. The thing is, the new bassist got grounded (I know, this is an incredibly lame excuse for a band not being able to perform; maybe this is why most high school bands suck?), and won't be able to play at our first show, which is this Saturday. My question is: would we be able to put on a decent set without bass?
Depends on how bass-dependent your songs are, really.

Like, do the basslines play huge roles in the songs? Then it probably won't go over to well with out it.
^ Agreed. You're going to have gaps in your sound where bass frequencies should be found, but depending on the crowd, I doubt people are going to mark you for it.
Jet propulsion disengage.

Quote by Xiaoxi
^I love your username
^ Agreed. Work your guitar eg to fill in some of the hole left by the bass.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Quote by crazy8rgood
Depends on how bass-dependent your songs are, really.
We don't have much time to practice, so we've went with a lot of covers, so we'll be able to use the time we can't practice full-band to learn them independently. Songs we're currently considering:

Kissing Families - Silversun Pickups (this one will now have to be taken out, unless the lead guitarist uses his pedalboard to go an octave down)
Breed - Nirvana (same as above)
Today - Smashing Pumpkins
Drain You - Nirvana
Santa Monica - I really can't remember the band for this one, it wasn't my choice
Bullets With Butterfly Wings (same situation as Kissing Families, imo)
Does your bassist more or less just play root notes? If so crack up the lows on the rhythm guitar and you'll be fine
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

Quote by captaincrunk
Just get someone to stand there with a bass and act like they're playing stuff. Generally no one can here it in a modest setting without some good amplification.

Where is the gig?
Strangely enough, somebody's family reunion. Why a band would be there, I have no idea. However, seeing as it's people we don't know, if we fail, we'll never have to see most of the people again anyways, so it sounded like a good situation for a first show to me.
Use the Bandleading subforum of Musician Talk for this.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by herby190
Strangely enough, somebody's family reunion. Why a band would be there, I have no idea. However, seeing as it's people we don't know, if we fail, we'll never have to see most of the people again anyways, so it sounded like a good situation for a first show to me.

Alright then. No one would hear the bass anyways. Just drums and lead vox and the occasional chord.
Quote by herby190
We don't have much time to practice, so we've went with a lot of covers, so we'll be able to use the time we can't practice full-band to learn them independently. Songs we're currently considering:

Kissing Families - Silversun Pickups (this one will now have to be taken out, unless the lead guitarist uses his pedalboard to go an octave down)
Breed - Nirvana (same as above)
Today - Smashing Pumpkins
Drain You - Nirvana
Santa Monica - I really can't remember the band for this one, it wasn't my choice
Bullets With Butterfly Wings (same situation as Kissing Families, imo)

Santa Monica is probably the Everclear song, that one should be fine.

Breed probably could be worked out. I'm sure nobody would mind if that intro part is played by the guitar, especially if you have 2 guitarists (don't know if you do).

Haven't heard the SSP song, so I can't judge that one.

Bullets with Butterfly Wings should go over just fine, I hardly ever notice the bass in that song myself.
What kind of lineup does your band have? Drummer + Guitarist + Singer, or do you have two guitarists? Or do you have two guitarists and one of them is your singer? Is keyboards an option?

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
The bass on these songs are pretty easy, pretty much just root notes. Isn't there any chance one of the guitar players (if there are two) can play the bass on these songs? I'm sure it wouldn't be too much trouble learning them and it's better to have a bass going rather than a rhythm guitar.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
What kind of lineup does your band have? Drummer + Guitarist + Singer, or do you have two guitarists? Or do you have two guitarists and one of them is your singer? Is keyboards an option?
I don't think keyboard is an option.
Line-up is:

Drummer (me)
Singer/guitarist
Lead guitarist (has octave pedal)
Bassist

The lead guitarist is willing to play bass, but that would mean the singer would have to do lead while singing; we might just have him trade between the two, depending on the song.
If your a bass player, why don't you find a filler Drummer? i mean its highschool everyone who's into music is a drummer. then you can play bass.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by herby190
I don't think keyboard is an option.
Line-up is:

Drummer (me)
Singer/guitarist
Lead guitarist (has octave pedal)
Bassist

The lead guitarist is willing to play bass, but that would mean the singer would have to do lead while singing; we might just have him trade between the two, depending on the song.

Ok, that makes things difficult.. What if your singer plays bass? You might have to reconsider what songs you play if you're going to be down one guitar, but I think this would be your best option.

I used to play in a band where I was the only guitarist, and on songs where it sounded empty with only one guitar, the bass player would use a distortion pedal.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by Putrefaction
Does your bassist more or less just play root notes? If so crack up the lows on the rhythm guitar and you'll be fine

probz not. bass has been a part of rock bands from the dawn of rock n roll to present day. there's a reason only a select few bands in that 75+ year history have been able to survive without them. and even most of those have bass in the studio.

basically what i'm saying is y'all are going to sound like shit without a bassist.
#DTWD
Quote by Sinister Waffle
If your a bass player, why don't you find a filler Drummer? i mean its highschool everyone who's into music is a drummer. then you can play bass.

best suggestion.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
best suggestion.

This is the best suggestion if they can actually find a decent drummer. The fact a bass player is drumming leads me to believe that drummers aren't exactly common.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by Sinister Waffle
The thing is, if we get unlucky, and have a drummer that isn't reliable, we're ****ed; if at any point in a song, the drums get off track, you have just become a downward spiral in which there is no hope...... I mean, it isn't GOOD for any other instrument to be off track, but with drums, it just can't happen.

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
This is the best suggestion if they can actually find a decent drummer. The fact a bass player is drumming leads me to believe that drummers aren't exactly common.
I chose drums by choice as my second instrument, for the reason above; I got tired of drummers who would screw everything up, so, being a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to music, figured I should probably take that place.
Last edited by herby190 at May 23, 2010,
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

nah. he probably uses this band as his chance to play drums. i mean josh homme's a guitarist, but he played as eagles of death metal's drummer. dave grohl is a drummer and made another band where he could sing and play guitar.
#DTWD
Quote by herby190
The thing is, if we get unlucky, and have a drummer that isn't reliable, we're ****ed; if at any point in a song, the drums get off track, you have just become a downward spiral in which there is no hope...... I mean, it isn't GOOD for any other instrument to be off track, but with drums, it just can't happen.

I chose drums by choice as my second instrument, for the reason above; I got tired of drummers who would screw everything up, so, being a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to music, figured I should probably take that place.

pro tip: if your bassist sucks, you're still all going to sound badly. i know what you mean, but it really is equal among everyone. most people don't notice anything in a song other than vocals/melody. when drums or bass are off, most people don't really know it, they just know something doesn't sound good.
#DTWD
ya get guitar pro backing tracks to play the drums and then just bring ur laptop and speakers to the show and play to the MIDI drums haha

it'll sound cheesy but cheesy drums > no bass
Quote by Tedward
ya get guitar pro backing tracks to play the drums and then just bring ur laptop and speakers to the show and play to the MIDI drums haha

god no. we had a big show and our drummer had to back out. played it in front of a huge crowd. two of our band members have a recording studio so we recorded the live drums ahead of time to a click track, plugged it into the PA and just played them through logic. it was so wrong. i don't know what it sounded like to the audience ... but it felt so weird on stage without a drummer.
#DTWD
You said the lead guitarist has a octaver, any chance he could lend your singer/rythem player it and have him use it for the gig?
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Tedward

I disagree. Playing with a backing drum track seems very amateurish (especially if it's guitar pro midi drums)...Not saying it's a bad thing necessarily, but it seems like it would be lame to me
Yeah, playing with a midi backing track would look and sound terrible, I wouldn't do it.

And once again, why can't the singer/guitarist just play the bass for this show? Has that been explained, and I just keep overlooking it?
Quote by crazy8rgood
Yeah, playing with a midi backing track would look and sound terrible, I wouldn't do it.

And once again, why can't the singer/guitarist just play the bass for this show? Has that been explained, and I just keep overlooking it?
I just don't know if having him learn the basslines instead of the guitar parts, and then having him play an instrument he isn't used to, while singing, is the best idea. Maybe I'm wrong; I'll be sure to bring it up to him.
Quote by herby190
I just don't know if having him learn the basslines instead of the guitar parts, and then having him play an instrument he isn't used to, while singing, is the best idea. Maybe I'm wrong; I'll be sure to bring it up to him.

Honestly, if he's just the rhythm guitarist, and he's playing those song, which, if I recall correctly, don't really have the most difficult basslines in the world (mostly just quarter and eighth note stuff), the transition for him shouldn't be difficult at all.
Quote by crazy8rgood
Honestly, if he's just the rhythm guitarist, and he's playing those song, which, if I recall correctly, don't really have the most difficult basslines in the world (mostly just quarter and eighth note stuff), the transition for him shouldn't be difficult at all.
I'll talk to him then. Still, there's a couple songs I don't think we can take the second guitar out of; Today comes to mind. However, is someone were to tell me that song doesn't have a bassline, I would not be surprised; I honestly can't think of a melody from it, now that I think about it. I'll ask him.
lol @ the bass player being grounded..sounds like a disney channel themed story line to a show like hanna montana. cool band bro
Quote by Metalology
You'll probably get some praise from people in as sad of a situation as you or maybe some laughs from people who enjoy your lame sense of humor.

lolwut

a blog that should be floating in the toilet. toiletfloater.blogspot.com
i agree with the idea that you'd have to be able to fill the hole that the bass leaves with your guitar, or get your singer to do it if he can sing and play. depending on your music the absence on the bass with make it seem extremely hollow.

you might be in quite the pickle though
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by Thrill-house
Nobody will miss the bass player, people just say they notice them to be nice olololol.

Why do you hurt me so?
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Just get another person with a deep voice to fill in and vocalize the bass part. BumBumBumBum BumBum BumBum BumBumBumBumBumBum. Or get a keyboard to synthesize it.
Page 1 of 2