i'm planning an experiment and would like some advice.

heres the deal. i've been trying to learn guitar for years now. i say "trying to" but really i've been meaning to. i have a guitar, 2 actually one accoustic and one electric. and i can play a few riffs. the intro to come as you are, the main riffs from smoke on the water and seven nation army, and a couple of other very easy pieces.

but basically over the years i've learnt nothing at all. and i've only myself to blaim to be honest. my aproach is less than half assed. every few weeks i dust off my guitar and digg out some tabbs and start strumming away for an hour or two and then give up for anohter few weeks.

hardly surprising then that i haven't learnt squat. so i've decided to stop wasting my time and apply myself. a threat i've made before but to no availl. so i'm going to adress the reasons i've failled and work from there.

asside from the fact that i have no obvious musical tallent, i have three problems when it comes to learning the guitar and in my day to day life.
1 i have no dissciplin.
2 i am the least organized person in the world
3 i am a complete media *****, TV films games internet i just love pissing away time

so, on monday the 31st of may i will be decamping to a caravan in the midle of no whear. with nothing but two guitars to entertain myself. i plan to spend my every waking hour teaching myself guitar. i don't expect to be hendrix or even remotly good by the end of the month. i just want to feel some progression. if after the month i feel like i've progressed and that i am capable of learning if i apply myself i'll be putting my TVs PC and games consoles into storage for a year and going full time.

over the next few days i'm trying to plan out how best to go about learning. i'd like any advice you can offer, and recomendations of the following.
good books for beginners.
easy songs to get me started
should i stick to tabbs or try learning chords?
any good excersises i can do

i'd also like to know what you think of my plan. how much do you think i could learn in a month?

any and all advice given will be greatly apreciated.
thanx.
laugh into the dark.
Last edited by raoull duke at May 23, 2010,
learn chords and easy songs first.
just stop playing video games/watching tv for a month so you can get some motivation. starting to learn is the hardest part
I'd say for someone like you who is similar to me you need direction and the best thing for that is having a teacher. You're just gonna get pissed off out in the wilderness with no one ask or guide you.
Throw away that ridiculous notion and apply yourself. Find a teacher and learn what he teaches you.
I agree, a teacher is the best way to keep you playing at least a half hour a week until you get into it. Find one that jumps into teaching songs quickly, that usually helps get you started and motivated.
Quote by guitaruboy
make sure you study grammar and spelling also...

that will help with guitar? i had no idea.
laugh into the dark.
I'm completely self-taught and, not to sound pretentious or braggart, better than everyone I know who has been taught. Mainly because they are the ones who don't have a true passion and aptitude for the instrument and the music.

If you are dedicated to guitar and determined to play, you will go far. Also, in times of confusion, Google is your friend
Quote by Sarykos
I'm completely self-taught and, not to sound pretentious or braggart, better than everyone I know who has been taught. Mainly because they are the ones who don't have a true passion and aptitude for the instrument and the music.

If you are dedicated to guitar and determined to play, you will go far. Also, in times of confusion, Google is your friend

Well that's hardly an argument for self teaching, I had lessons for 3 years and was better then every self taught guitarist I knew, that doesn't prove anything.
I got a teacher because I knew I wanted someone one to help me get started, to learn the language so I could then continue on my own.

Edit: Scratch everything, the guy below just ended this thread. Great post.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at May 24, 2010,
If you can't get a teacher, you'll be fine. A teacher helps, but they won't be the be all, end all. Plenty of amazing guitarists were self taught.

You need to set goals for yourself. Small, reasonable goals. Can you use your pinky comfortably? Can you fret your chords quickly and accurately? I promise you, these things don't take long to get down. Maybe not absolutely perfectly, but well enough. A month will give you plenty of time for these small "victories." I guarantee that you'll see progression if you focus on little tasks instead of the big picture of mastering the guitar. It can get overwhelming.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
He's gonna come back with 2 broken guitars.
When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show.
When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.

-The Great George Carlin