Summer is comming up and after I graduate from high school I'm thinking on starting a new hobby. I've been thinking of getting into motocross and martial arts. The thing is that I live in Los Angeles and I'm not sure if there are any motocross tracks around here and that its not too suited for big guys (I'm 6'2 and 217 lbs, probably because I work out a lot). But then martial arts is something I'm very interested in too and it seems it maybe more realistic to try to get into, but besides that I'm trying to find something I could see myself doing for hopefully the rest of my life but I want to hear your input on it as well though to help me with my decision.

Thanks
as an avid practitioner of both, I'm gonna have to go with martial arts. Dirtbiking is fun as shit, but daytripper's got it-cheaper and more useful in the long run
Quote by guylee
as an avid practitioner of both, I'm gonna have to go with martial arts. Dirtbiking is fun as shit, but daytripper's got it-cheaper and more useful in the long run

Also a fantastic stress reliever (IMO)
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Just curious though but can you get the same level of excitement and gratification from martial arts just as much as motocross? I'm just curious because I'm really serious about this and want to make the best decision for me in the long run...
Quote by swordsman14
Just curious though but can you get the same level of excitement and gratification from martial arts just as much as motocross? I'm just curious because I'm really serious about this and want to make the best decision for me in the long run...

gratification is about the same-there's no better feeling than getting a black belt. Motocross is more thrilling though...you're gonna have some serious adrenaline rushes.
there are like 3 billion MX tracks in the Riverside area. take a drive up the 5 past valencia to Hungry Valley...trails for days
RIP lowlife (fort wayne) the best crappy crusty punk band ever!
I'm just curious but is motocross great for big guys like me ( since I'm 6'2 and 217 lbs, and would probably get a little bigger since I workout a lot) or more suited towards skinnier, smaller type of people because most motocross riders I see are built like that?
while getting awarded a black belt is a pretty awesome achievement, that takes years of hard work and dedication. and unless you plan to progress and continuously get better, it will eventually become pretty stale. whereas is you put some effort into riding, you get a hobby thats never gonna be the same thing twice and youll get that exhilaration almost from the start. but take into concern the injury risk. while you can get hurt doing martial arts, the chance of having a serious life-threating injury is minimal, but youre battling against possible death almost everytime you get out on that trail. plus is more expensive right at the start so takes more time to get involved.
Martial arts, but don't listen to idiots on here about which style you should pursue.
Quote by swordsman14
Summer is comming up and after I graduate from high school I'm thinking on starting a new hobby. I've been thinking of getting into motocross and martial arts. The thing is that I live in Los Angeles and I'm not sure if there are any motocross tracks around here and that its not too suited for big guys (I'm 6'2 and 217 lbs, probably because I work out a lot). But then martial arts is something I'm very interested in too and it seems it maybe more realistic to try to get into, but besides that I'm trying to find something I could see myself doing for hopefully the rest of my life but I want to hear your input on it as well though to help me with my decision.

Thanks

I reckon it's the mole rat's fault. Oh and doing a martial art would be alot more practical and cheaper and less likely to give you problems (such as your knees deciding to pack in at 40) later in life.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
Motoaertd...its fucing liek ninjas in as ****in bilke
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
I'm thinking I may choose martial arts over motocross, but I'm just curious why it seems martial arts would be better instead of motocross, or like the pros and cons of both? I just want to make sure I make the best decision because I'm planning on choosing one of these to do for a very long time?
Quote by swordsman14
I'm just curious but is motocross great for big guys like me ( since I'm 6'2 and 217 lbs, and would probably get a little bigger since I workout a lot) or more suited towards skinnier, smaller type of people because most motocross riders I see are built like that?

My dad's around 5'11'' and a bit heavier, and he's still riding at 46.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
This is pretty petty, but it is still something to think about.

Majority of the people involved in motocross are dumb-as-a-brick-wall rednecks. Who care about nothing except for "goin' fahst!!" and "bein' numbuh 1!!".
Also is it true that motocross can wear out your body pretty early, thats what I heard?
Quote by JacobTheMe

Majority of the people involved in motocross are dumb-as-a-brick-wall rednecks. Who care about nothing except for "goin' fahst!!" and "bein' numbuh 1!!".

Have you every actually ridden? The problem isn't with rednecks, it's with TAPOUT douchebags who come to the tracks in droves and basically ruin it for everyone else.
Quote by Thrasher51
Have you every actually ridden? The problem isn't with rednecks, it's with TAPOUT douchebags who come to the tracks in droves and basically ruin it for everyone else.

Yeah. My dad has even been a mechanic my entire life.

Thats pretty much who I was talking about. Except where I live they all are Monster Energy billboards instead of Tapout.
Quote by JacobTheMe
Yeah. My dad has even been a mechanic my entire life.

Thats pretty much who I was talking about. Except where I live they all are Monster Energy billboards instead of Tapout.

Here too. I think it amounts to the same thing.
Quote by JacobTheMe

I hit up almost all the tracks in the SE and there are very few rednecks (they stick to riding their utility quads with gun racks through the same mudhole over and over again on the trails) in SoCal its all about the bro's but they dont even really ride, they just pose with their lifted 2wd trucks, a CR250 with cut fenders, wearing dickies shorts, black socks and a Skin shirt and talking about how badass the kegger on the river was last weekend.
my kid is 7 and does both BTW he rides trails on a CRF70 and does Kempo twice a week
I thought this would be about martial arts on motorcross bikes.

But go with the martial arts.

MC name = Bearrorism