yo, shadowz_fall here... again... with YET another dumb question... so... hmmm... how do i explain this... err... ok, so when i play in front of an audience i sorta mess up a lot, and i can't even record myself playing without screwing up the whole song or something, and this is a really big problem, coz i can't really think of any way to fix it, i tried practicing more, heck i even tried askin meh sis to watch me play guitar, and damn i mess up all the time, i don't have problems playing a song when no one's around, so wut da hell's wrong with me?
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

You just have to get comfortable with people around you. I tend to practice even with 1 or 2 people in the room, so try to do that. Try to subtly practice in front of people as much as you can, and gradually increase your "presence".
the only thing you can do it play in public more. its the only thing that will help
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by shadowz_fall
yo, shadowz_fall here... again... with YET another dumb question... so... hmmm... how do i explain this... err... ok, so when i play in front of an audience i sorta mess up a lot, and i can't even record myself playing without screwing up the whole song or something, and this is a really big problem, coz i can't really think of any way to fix it, i tried practicing more, heck i even tried askin meh sis to watch me play guitar, and damn i mess up all the time, i don't have problems playing a song when no one's around, so wut da hell's wrong with me?

First off, your grammar and spelling are horrible but seriously...

What is your attitude when playing in front of people?
I'm guessing it resembles one of these:
1) Check out what I can do!
2) Let me see if I can do this.
3) Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In any of these cases, you need to learn to relax.
You've "tried practicing more"...there is no TRY. you just practice more...if it didn't help, keep practicing. You can't just will yourself into a better player. You can only will yourself to work harder, longer and BETTER.
What do you do when you practice? Play the songs you know a couple of times? Scales to a metronome? Chord changes? picking drills?
Does "practicing" mean? 1-2 times a week for a few hours, or a 1/2 hour a day everyday?

Long story short, you have to KEEP practicing...until you don't even have to think about it, your hands just do what they are supposed to do.
Once your there, you need to RELAX, and have FUN! If you mess up, don't beat yourself up about it, laugh it off, and have some more fun!
Start with songs that are VERY easy for you. (If NO songs are easy for you...go back to that whole practicing thing) BUILD your confidence.

When your sister watches, is she having fun listening, or judging you like it's a test?
If she isn't having fun, learn some songs SHE likes, so you don't feel like your on trial...your having fun playing.

Last bit of advice...if you don't have one, find a good instructor. he/she will help you learn what you need the most work on, see simple mistakes they can help fix, and be that audience member that if you can pull it off in front of them, you can do it in front of anyone. Someone to teach you AND jam with you. Someone to get REAL meaningful feedback from.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at May 24, 2010,
I have the exact same problem I eventually got rid of most of it.

First off, Relax, nobody is going to kill you if you make a mistake, this is the number one thing. Even the pros make mistakes

Second, Practice practice practice. Even if you can play it perfectly by yourself, you should be able to play the song by almost all muscle reflex so you can concentrate on other things (like moving around the stage and glaring at your crowd for being so quiet)

Third, Enjoy yourself =) If your happy, the crowds happy
thanks for the tips guys, and yeah my grammar sucks but oh well... looks like the answer to my problem is practice so, guess i better start right now, but honestly speaking, when i first picked up the guitar i never thought it would involve THIS much practice, lol, and so with that said... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! METAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.

If people request a song for me to play I'm like ".. OK..." and starts to play, and since I'm not comfortable I mess up sometimes. I guess it's just to play more with other people.
I had the same problem, and this is how I fixed it:

Be entirely sure that you can play what you want to play.

When I practised, I mostly practised alone (still do so), and I was very aware that I made mistakes. When I tried to play in front of people I thought "oh damn, I can't even play this when I am alone, so the chances for me to mess up are.... 99%". And guess what? I failed entirely. Self-fulfilling prophecy right there.

Now, I practise strictly, with a metronome. I work on my technique so that I can always play something faster than I really have to (and all of this with control and accuracy). When I then proceed to play for other people, I am not as nervous, as I am thinking "haha, I can do that a lot faster, this is easy for me and I can nail this stuff". Result: "Woah dude amgad that was well played".

All in all: don't let the self-fulflling prophecies get you. Make sure that you are very consious of your abilities.
Yeah
Last edited by TehDutchDude at May 24, 2010,