Ok, I have pretty much no idea on what is or isn't a good amp. I'm looking to spend around four to five hundred dollars. I could go a little higher if you can convince me it's worth it. Does anyone have any reccommendations? I have a Jackson Randy Rhoads V (Not sure which exact model ) with Seymuor Duncans. Also, I like to play mostly heavy metal, like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Annihilator, so anything with that old "crunchy" sound would be awesome.
Last edited by Ligeia x at May 24, 2010,
What other gear do you have and what kind of music do you play? Do you gig or practice with a band or do you just play at home at bedroom volume levels or what?
Well, I don't do gigs. It's mostly just a hobby, but my friends and I sometimes jam together. The only other equipment I have is a GNX3, which is the only thing that makes my little Fender starter amp sound remotely good right now. I like to play mostly heavy metal like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Annihilator.
Last edited by Ligeia x at May 24, 2010,
If you are looking for nothing more than a pure metal tone Id go with the Peavey 6505+.
Its a one trick pony but a beast of one at that. You can find them used for about $550-$600 now.

Or you can just go with whatever tube amp is in your budget that has an effects loop and slap an EQ in the loop in dial in your tone.

Where are you located? I have an amp for sale. Sorry shameless plug I know but still, its in your price range and with an EQ you can achieve just about any of those bands you mentioned. Hell, even without an EQ my Ashdown will do Maiden, and some Metallica.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barack Obama

''Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
You need to do research yourself, try out amps to see what you like, and find out what kind of guitar you own for starters.
EQ = equalizer

It lets you tweak your tone based on the different frequency bands that make up the sound.

It's basically the same as the Treble, Middle, and Bass controls you typically see on an amp. This just gives you better control.
^^^ Thats my Eq
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barack Obama

''Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
Quote by jimtaka

It's basically the same as the Treble, Middle, and Bass controls you typically see on an amp. This just gives you better control.

+1

The EQ on most amps only lets you cut frequencies (i.e. 10 is the maximum it can put out; you can't go past 10) whereas the 10-band EQ lets you boost and cut frequencies (put out more than 10 or less than 0) as well as anything in between.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??