Whats up UG!

Been playing in a southern rock band for the last few months. Our bassist is a young dude from Brazil who played a lot of very uptempo funk. He loves to slap. He's constantly anticipating the beat. Obviously most of these things do not = rad southern rock groove.

I felt like I reached an impasse trying to teach him the concept of "Behind the Beat." Finally we just opened up iTunes and listened to a bunch of stuff that was behind the beat. Then he asked me "how do I practice" and I was stumped....

My only suggestion was to set a metronome to quarter notes or half notes and act like you're trying to slow the metronome down. Aside from just learning a bunch of tunes that are behind the beat I had no idea what to tell him..

....so, UGers, how the f do you practice playing behind the beat?
play along with the song for a bit, then try just playing with a backing track????
Have him lay back and sit in a really comfortable chair. As messed up as it sounds it can help, make sure he feels "laid back" and it might just sink into his playing.
@b5 Yeah I get the practice thing - just wondering if anyone else had other practice techniques other than following along with songs. I hear you though - thats what he is doing right now so I guess we'll just stick with that.
Quote by baldguitardude
Whats up UG!

Been playing in a southern rock band for the last few months. Our bassist is a young dude from Brazil who played a lot of very uptempo funk. He loves to slap. He's constantly anticipating the beat. Obviously most of these things do not = rad southern rock groove.

I felt like I reached an impasse trying to teach him the concept of "Behind the Beat." Finally we just opened up iTunes and listened to a bunch of stuff that was behind the beat. Then he asked me "how do I practice" and I was stumped....

My only suggestion was to set a metronome to quarter notes or half notes and act like you're trying to slow the metronome down. Aside from just learning a bunch of tunes that are behind the beat I had no idea what to tell him..

....so, UGers, how the f do you practice playing behind the beat?

simple..... listen to, and learn how to play music that has this quality. This way you learn it naturally..... via the act of doing it.
shred is gaudy music
The most important thing for me in terms of grooving on bass is just learning to RELAX.

Had to calm down, stop plucking the strings so hard, etc.

I still have to work at it if I really want to groove. It's kind of funny - lately I've recorded some stuff where I'm playing all the instruments. I realized that I play drums in much the same way - I tend to be on top of or even slightly ahead of the beat. Adding bass over my own drum tracks was really easy!
Funny you mention that Vikkyvix - I noticed that as soon as he started to "groove" he was great, but then he's start to really get into it and tap his right foot. His right foot was always a bit ahead of the high hat and thus the pushing would begin.

So I taped his foot to the floor.