Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I've taken an interest in Paul Reed Smith Guitars but I don't know much about them. I was wondering which models can handle high gain situations and low tunings, while still being able to achieve softer tones (mild OD etc) and nice crystal cleans?

I have seen the SE Torero includes a FR bridge, neck-thru and EMG pickups but I'd rather have passive pickups, although it looks like a very nice guitar.

I have also taken a liking to the 25th Custom 24 (not to be confused with the 25th SE Custom 24). But I can imagine it would come with a hefty price.

Are there any other models that would be suitable? And any info/opinions on the above models would be appreciated.

My band's producer plays lead guitar in a heavy metal band, and plays nothing but PRS SE's. I'm not sure exactly what model but they're definitely SE's. They can rip man, for sure.
Prs are usually super versatile guitars, bands like opeth or porcupine tree use these guitars and they sometimes use dropped tuning. Santana also plays a prs, you can't really go wrong with a custom 24. I don't know much about the torero, but i guess it will do metal pretty well, but not much more.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA120 Air Norton+Tone Zone
Boss FV500H Volume Pedal---->Behringer TU300
Ernie Ball 6185 Wah Pedal
Digitech Bad Monkey
Vox Bulldog Distortion
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
Peavey Valveking 112 with Celestion G12T-75
I think the frets on PRS guitars are too wide to handle metal. I think there's actually a disclaimer at the prs website that specifically warns against the use of hi-gain pickups in his guitars. That's why he had to make a special guitar for people that play metal.

You know what. What is this question. Can somebody please just tell me what the hell makes a guitar "for metal" anyway? please? please?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Don't really have a budget at the moment, just interested in the models at the moment.

Cheers hildesaw, have they still got the stock pickups installed?

I love Opeth's tone. And Santana's. Havn't heard Pocupine Tree.
I like the look of the Custom 24 too. (from the solid body line).
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Budget?? PRS guitars can handle metal.

But yes, pretty expensive
between the buried and me tunes to C# standard, works fine for them. plus they have a wonderful clean tone
I have the original Paul Allender (with the passive pups) and I have no problem playing metal on it as well as a variety of other styles. It has been a very versatile instrument for me.

I have also tried the Mikael Akerfeldt model and found it to be just as versatile. The only drawback with Akerfeldt might be the extremely fat neck. Definitely not for everyone but I really liked it.

Both models have a 24 fret neck and played extremely well and smooth for me.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by AcousticMirror
I think the frets on PRS guitars are too wide to handle metal. I think there's actually a disclaimer at the prs website that specifically warns against the use of hi-gain pickups in his guitars. That's why he had to make a special guitar for people that play metal.

You know what. What is this question. Can somebody please just tell me what the hell makes a guitar "for metal" anyway? please? please?

If you read the original post you will see I am asking if PRS can handle "high gain situations". I said nothing about changing pickups, and I wouldn't be willing to do so. I am meaning can they handle being put through a high gain amp or OD pedal, be cranked up and still sound nice?
And thanks for your opinion on the frets, but what do you mean "too wide". Do you mean you struggle to play fast or what?
Quote by murda_jr427
between the buried and me tunes to C# standard, works fine for them. plus they have a wonderful clean tone

Yup, just saw them the other night. Paul played his PRS Custom 22 through a Mark V and it was heavy as balls, though they use D-Activators.

But PRS guitars can be metal machines.
Quote by HeadlessCross
If you read the original post you will see I am asking if PRS can handle "high gain situations". I said nothing about changing pickups, and I wouldn't be willing to do so. I am meaning can they handle being put through a high gain amp or OD pedal, be cranked up and still sound nice?
And thanks for your opinion on the frets, but what do you mean "too wide". Do you mean you struggle to play fast or what?

gain is in the amp. why wouldn't you be willing to change the pickups?
Quote by AcousticMirror
gain is in the amp. why wouldn't you be willing to change the pickups?

He hasn't even tried the damn guitar yet, let him make is own mind up if the stock pickups are good for what he wants to use them for.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
The Torero will probably handle the sounds you mentioned best of all the PRSs. EMGs are fine for light clean sounds as well as the heavy stuff. They just don't have as much respect for the guitar's natural tones. I'd certainly find one and play it through a similar amp to your setup, then compare with one of the passive models to see what fits your total needs the best.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by AcousticMirror

You don't need high output pickups for metal though... Lamb of God uses SD 59's, and John Schaffer from Iced Earth uses a 9k bridge pickup based on a Burstbucker.

PRS is fine for metal. Check out Between the Buried and Me. Their stock pickups are just fine, although the one I played I was less than impressed with ($3k shouldn't feel like a bulky toy in my hands)

And how would the frets be too wide? Look at what ESP and LTD use.

A guitar is for whatever genre you prefer to play on it. I used my Edwards Alexi Laiho sig with its (at the time) DiMarzio D Activator X for a jazz tune live and it sounded great.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I'm just going to have to point everyone currently debating this in the direction of Emil Werstler from Daath who is currently using a PRS Hollowbody for everything he does.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by AcousticMirror

Says the man with 2 bareknuckle loaded PRS guitars

honestly more people need to start recognising you AM.

TS Prs guitars can do metal just fine, you may find some are better than others, i prefer the ones loaded with HFS than the 59 or dragonII but that is my preference.

they are great guitars and very versitile, i could get a passable metal tone out of my SE CU22 for god sake with the right amp settings.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
the 25th custom 24 is a nice guitar but it has the 57/08 pickups which are PAF clones. they have low output. get the regular custom 24 with the HFS/Vintage bass pickups. those can do metal better.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
I tried a PRS SE Torero and found it to be a stonkingly good guitar and would do Metal superbly. Why didn't I buy a PRS then? I simply didn't want active EMG pups so the similarly priced Jackson SL3 was a better fit for me. I believe all PRS guitars will do high gain well but of course no other PRS comes with a standard locking trem if that's important to you.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by AcousticMirror

T3H EMGS! FOR MOST STERILE LOUD BR00TZ EVAR. and the cleans are good too

i had a jackson rr24. 1 EMG, jumbo frets, and a floating trem. metal was all it could do, thus i would deem it "metal guitar"

on topic, i think the SE Torrero is a terrible idea. I hope it gets discontinued ASAP. It seems like PRS is just trying to get compete in the metal market, with their respectable name. It honestly looks like it should be sold be Schecter.

In my opinion, you dont need high gain pups. They may excel at 'br00tz' but there versatility cant compete. I play with pickups putting out 8k. I love my tone. I'd say go with a passive PRS. the torrero barely seems like a PRS to me, and for some reason i cant see them holding their resale value. If you look used you can find an american PRS around 1500, to 2200 if you want ten-top, birds, etc etc.

early morning rant complete
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
this thread delivers.

TS - The korean made SE Torerro, emgs, floyd, etc, $1000 new. Does metal.

A used MD made Custom 24 or 22 sell for $1200-1400 in mint shape with all the case candy. Does metal too.

That is a few hundred dollars very worth saving honestly.

here is a PRS "metal" guitar. i believe terrible ted rocked it. it's a custom 24.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I was always one to think as long as it has versatile humbuckers and a good neck shape any guitar can do metal. Srsly. If you like the neck and you're looking at an AMERICAN PRS I think you're pretty safe. Hell one of my friends has the old Paul Allender SE (Purple quilt top with those passive PRS SE pickups. You know before they ruined the production models with EMGs and those flametops :p and it can do cleans quite well.
PRS guitars are great but i believe all models are 25" scale so would be slightly 'looser' on drop tuning.
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
The PRS tremonti se is capable of all the above. Doesn't have a tremolo though...
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
Quote by gtanny
PRS guitars are great but i believe all models are 25" scale so would be slightly 'looser' on drop tuning.

this is very wrong.
mark tremonti of Alter Bridge plays PRS guitars, he gets pretty heavy sometimes, heh.
also, frontman ben burnley of breaking benjamin plays a custom PRS baritone. pretty heavy...
Member #78 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

Originally Posted by Gibson_Rocker13
why the hell would you worship satan if hes gunna torture the **** out of you.
Quote by AcousticMirror
this is very wrong.

oops many appologies, i have no problem being corrected as im normally wrong
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
Thanks for the posts everyone.
To be honest I thought the Torero reminded me of the Schecter Hellraiser. And yeah I would much prefer passives anyway.
It looks like the Custom 24 would be worth checking (though they all would). The local Rockshop deals with PRS I'll have a talk to the guys down there.

Paul Allender would like a word.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Paul Allender would like a word.

I only got ten minutes so he better be quick
Quote by HeadlessCross
I only got ten minutes so he better be quick

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
PRS guitars can definitely do metal.

I bought a PRS SE Singlecut because my band plays sort of a "alternative, progressive post-metal", so i needed a guitar that could nail both brilliant cleans and well-defined, hi-gain distortion.
In one minute i'm playing chugga-chugga rhythms, or heavy drop-D riffs, or even tremolo leads, and the next second i'm playing clean chords under vocals or arpeggios... And i still can't find another guitar for that sort of sound that satisfies me as much as a PRS does.

And if you can afford a Custom 24, go for it. That's a pretty sweet guitar for metal stuff.

Opeth used the Custom 24 in the album "Ghost Reveries", and that's the guitar Mikael Akerfeldt uses to play the heavier songs from that album live (according to Coty Allinson, their guitar tech), which are in open D tuning.
Which are pretty damn heavy songs.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at May 25, 2010,
If you are that much into metal why don't you try a BC Rich? Wartribe is fine
Quote by krisz93

Wow.
Quote by AcousticMirror

Humbuckers...

Seriously. If it has humbuckers it can do metal...

That's not to say you can't do metal with single coils... (I feel like I had to say that to keep all you single-coil *****s quiet... )
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by krisz93

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon