Hey guys. i have 2 amps right now a marshall tsl 602 and a line six spyder 3 75 watt as well as a mxr fullbore metal distortion pedal. Im seriusly thinking about selling all this for 1 axe fx unit. i was at one point thinking about running it with my amp. but now i realize there is a marshall preset right on that amp as well as an engl preset and a few mesa presets and a deizel amps preset and yah thats all i really need . so i dont even need my amp especially since i could set up patches right on that unit and eventually get myself an expression pedal and midi pedal to control everything this seems like an entire stage setup in 1 amp. I have a few questions.

for the amp to function its best would i need to use the reactor series cabs and the reactor power amp (even though i would probably prefer tube)?

i would definatly want to run the rig in stereo to get the best out of this unit as some of the effects are meant to be run in stereo like delay and stuff. As well, would this amp be good live and does it sound good at high volume like a tube amp?

how much would i get for my marshall, my line 6, my mxr fullbore metal in total? enough to buy the axe fx?

how many cabs would i need to do the whole stereo thing. if i would have to buy the reactor series amps then this may get easy as they dont seem too expensive and gaurentee good tone for the amp.

and what kind of preamp would i need?

for info on these systems, here is the link to fractal audios website where they speak of the axe fx and the rea ctor series amps http://www.fractalaudio.com/
Last edited by zappmi35 at May 24, 2010,
well the marshall goes for about 600, the spider, maybe 100 if you find someone willing to pay it, and the fullbore around 50. This all depends on how you sell it of course.

But for your questions

no, it sounds great with any power amp and hi-fi/guitar speaker combo

yes you want to run it in stereo and it will translate very well live, depending on the power amp it is a decently loud rig.

see above

just two sir... they could be 2 1x12's or 2 4x12's

The axe fx is your preamp

Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAJfONBq89U it should help you understand what youll need hope i helped
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Last edited by schtick_bomb at May 24, 2010,
For your Marshall: $800 or $900 max.
For your Spider: Probably $200 max.
For your Fullbore: Probably $80 max.

Not enough for a new Axe-FX and power amp plus cabinets. The Axe-FX also doesn't quite hit the mark dead on as far as perfect replication goes, but it's pretty close.

You could, instead, check out the Randall RM series - modular tube preamps and power amp, with some Salvation Mods modules (he has Diezel, ENGL, Marshall, Orange, Mesa/Boogie modules) or perhaps Jaded Faith (he tweaks modules to your particular tastes).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I've always found stereo on stage to be worse than useless, same with stereo mixes in general in that scenario. The only people that get the benefit are the few people standing in the middle of the audience, everybody else only gets half of everything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you get the axe ultra with a reactor powered speaker is $2800.
If you choose not to get the ultra (which is a really bad move) it's $1500+ (if you dont get a powered speaker) $350+ (Rack Amplifier, power condition, rack.)

you still need a midi foot board to control everything live: $150+

Either way you are going to spend well over $2000 and going to cheaper route lacks alot of features that set the axe-fx apart from units like the eleven rack.

basically: if you are in a touring band or play lots of gigs, get this, if not you really will spend ALOT of money on something you will use in the closet.
Quote by Cathbard
I've always found stereo on stage to be worse than useless, same with stereo mixes in general in that scenario. The only people that get the benefit are the few people standing in the middle of the audience, everybody else only gets half of everything.

Thats where the PA system comes in brah. With the axe fx i dont think the goal is to play to the crowd as its not super loud, its to play for the PA system which then goes to the crowd.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Quote by schtick_bomb
Thats where the PA system comes in brah. With the axe fx i dont think the goal is to play to the crowd as its not super loud, its to play for the PA system which then goes to the crowd.

I even do mono mixes on the PA for exactly the same reason. A mono mix sounds the same to everybody, a stereo mix sounds good to less than half the audience.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As far as I know the marshall amp is worth around 1700 Canadian new. How could It have lost soo much value in a year? It's in perfect condition it's never been moved since I got it in my room playing it shouldn't degrade it it was played in the store too no doubt. If I get 150 for the spyder 3 i'll be happy.

I was thinking like 1500 for the marshall 100 for the line 6 and 100 for the dist pedal as I paid 120. Lol guesse I was wrong.of course that's not enough for an axe fx but it's closer

it's mainly for home use and the occasional live show
The TSLs don't hold value well because they're undesirable amps. I've seen them go for $600 USD sometimes, but the fact that you're in Canada makes things a bit different. Maybe you could get $1000 CAD for it; I don't actually know what the market in Canada is like.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
how about a line 6 vetta combo? if you sell everything there should be enough or close to the price very good amp models and lots of them?
and yeh sadly the TSL's do not hold their value i think its because theres a lot of them being sold on ebay that are quite old so are cheaper but to compete with them you have to sell yours for much less
Quote by josh_salty
how about a line 6 vetta combo? if you sell everything there should be enough or close to the price very good amp models and lots of them?
and yeh sadly the TSL's do not hold their value i think its because theres a lot of them being sold on ebay that are quite old so are cheaper but to compete with them you have to sell yours for much less

If i want a line 6 i have one. it might not be the best one out there but it's fine and it sounds pretty good. I didnt realize that tsl's dont hold their value. the salesman told me and my rents that all marshalls hold their value well but they must have just been an easy way of selling it. the line 6 i knew wouldnt be worth much because i know that no one really liked the spyder 3's but i guesse if someone was selling a 75 watt amp for 100 bucks people would definatly buy it because i wouldhv pretty much bought anything when i was looking for a second amp to use for jamming. Are they axe fx (ultra) units ever for sale used anywhere?
Quote by zappmi35
If i want a line 6 i have one. it might not be the best one out there but it's fine and it sounds pretty good. I didnt realize that tsl's dont hold their value. the salesman told me and my rents that all marshalls hold their value well but they must have just been an easy way of selling it. the line 6 i knew wouldnt be worth much because i know that no one really liked the spyder 3's but i guesse if someone was selling a 75 watt amp for 100 bucks people would definatly buy it because i wouldhv pretty much bought anything when i was looking for a second amp to use for jamming. Are they axe fx (ultra) units ever for sale used anywhere?

the vetta and the spider aren't really comparible the vetta models actual amps and has models like peavey 5150 engl powerball and mesa dual rectifier and a few bognor ones i'd do a little more research into it before ignoring it as an option
The EL34 TSLs go for around $900 CAD used.

I'd imagine the combos are slightly lower since they have mediocre speakers and the EL84 circuit generally isn't as desirable to the Marshall crowd.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.