pre-wired pickguards? been around for a while.

that one does look like a good amount of work went into it though.
guitar
amp

some pedals
That's really cool! I would like to give it a try if I had a strat. I wish companies would start using circuit boards to make these types of configurations on their guitars, but is not likely to happen yet; maybe in the future it becomes more common.
Quote by tegrenath
pre-wired pickguards? been around for a while.

that one does look like a good amount of work went into it though.

Not a prewired pickguard. It lets you change the wiring completely, assign the tone controls to any pickup, change tone caps etc without soldering anything.

Quote by Guitar Sushi
Seems pretty useless

It could potentially save you hours of soldering if you want to mess around with different wirings.
oh my god, that is an insane amount of control. If I where a tone freak I would be all over that, but as of right now I would probably break something.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
oh my god, that is an insane amount of control. If I where a tone freak I would be all over that, but as of right now I would probably break something.

+1
Until this becomes standard on all guitars I'll stick with an EQ
Quote by Moggan13
Personally, i'd buy her a can of Coke, then as she's drinking it say to her "Whats better than Coca Cola?" She'll go "What?" and you shout "CREAM SODA!" And ejaculate in her can.
Last edited by funyguy1357: 147 times : 3-01-08 at 08:17 PM.
Quite a cool idea, but if you know how you want your guitar wired, you'd just solder it that way to start with...

My main concern is that if you change your mind often with this, you'd have to take your pickguard off and replace it heaps, which sometimes can lead to the threads in the holes for the screws wearing out...
the part that takes longest doing a wiring modification on a strat, is taking off the strings and taking off the pickguard. wiring modification is about 5 minutes anyway. that cut down to a few flicks of a switch, i'd rather do things my way.

now if those switches were accessible from outside of the guitar, it'd be golden.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
the part that takes longest doing a wiring modification on a strat, is taking off the strings and taking off the pickguard. wiring modification is about 5 minutes anyway. that cut down to a few flicks of a switch, i'd rather do things my way.

now if those switches were accessible from outside of the guitar, it'd be golden.

Good point.
I guess if you really wanted it to be accessible you could route out the back and put a cover over it. Probably not worth it though.
Still, this thing could be useful for experimentation.
I'd be slightly concerned over any effect it would have on signal purity. It's a cool idea, but I don't think it's essential for me at all.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I see they've taken EMG's plug n play connection to a whole new level. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing this done, less chance of me ****ing up wiring while I'm trying solder and eventually burn my guitar with the iron.
Well the VG Strat and the Line 6 Variax came out before the Dusk Tiger and Dark Fire so Gibson isn't exactly innovative. The only thing new they came up with was the robot technology.
^ just because the dusk tiger can do that stuff doesn't mean this is a copy of it. epiphone is just a copy of gibson but do i hear you bitching about them? just accept and be happy that people who don't have 3 grand or whatever ungodly price they ask for that can now have the benefits of being able to switch tone/volume setups easier that before.
I can see it being sort of interesting, but honestly it looks more complicated to me than just doing the wiring myself. Strat wiring is simple and easy to access as it is, as ECistheBest said, the part that takes the longest is removing the strings. Which you would still have to do with this.

Don't see the point myself.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Epi arent copies, theyre a subsidiary of gibson, now owned by gibson. They were there own company at one point...

But that doesnt matter.

And this is nothing like the VG/Dusk Tiger/Variax, it just lets you piss about with a load of different wiring that would take you 5 minutes to try out with a soldering iron anyway.

Rather than allowing you to change tunings/using digital/midi technology to emulate different sounds, its just a tider way of throwing in a load of DPDT switches so you can switch between series, parallell, different tone caps, treble bleed, pickup blending, all of which is pretty easy to do for practically nothing anyway..
Last edited by beckyjc at May 24, 2010,
Quote by ARATSTJ
By the time you figure out what tonal settings you want, on say a US made Strat worth ~ $2K you'd have destroyed it by pulling it apart and putting back together so often.

Taking the pickguard off a strat and changing the wiring won't destroy the guitar, no matter how many times you do it.

And talking about the Dusk Tiger is completely irrelevant! The Dusk Tiger has an active EQ which can be switched to different presets, and this pickguard gives the ability to switch between different components, to listen to the differences between them, before (presumably) deciding on a final configuration that is your favourite. They are two completely different ideas.

EDIT: Oh wait beckyjc already said all that. It's still true.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at May 24, 2010,
Quote by JELIFISH19
Well the VG Strat and the Line 6 Variax came out before the Dusk Tiger and Dark Fire so Gibson isn't exactly innovative. The only thing new they came up with was the robot technology.

Gibson did not invent the robotic tuning system.

Anyway, ToneShaper looks interesting, but I’m really not interested in a system that requires me to remove the pickguard to use it. This needs USB.
Christ ARATSTJ do you work for Gibson? Or do you just enjoy handing out tonguebaths for your favourite brands who have no need for your cavalierish defending of their products?

Relative to the thread, I actually wouldn't mind trying one of these out, since wiring scares the **** out of me, but I also want to see what different wiring dealies will do to my tone
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by jpnyc
This needs USB.

Now THAT would be awesome. Or have sort of pre-set buttons, but then again both of those would probably require going active.
if its usb, it can be powered by the usb cable?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I think so, but then you'd need it plugged in all the time.
Integrating MIDI would be incredibly useful too, you could switch all the wiring with a footswitch or an effects unit for each different patch.