Hey guys, I was looking into getting a new amp. I really want an amp that is versatile, but I would really want a tone like that of an 80s metal band (I really love the tone of Scorpions, Skid Row, Quiet Riot). I'm willing to spend around $300-$500. What kind of amp would you guys suggest? Thanks.
Just saying this right now, your gonna need to fork out a LOT more money then that if you want that 80's sound.

But since you thought you could get it for that price, go for a Line 6 Spider 3 amp.
Fire it up, let the engines roll!
It's time to burn it down!
Keep bleeding on till the day you die!
Forever love it loud, yeah!
I don't need their gear exactly, which i know it probably costs thousands, but I want something similar. Why does it cost so much for a tone like that?
Because its never just the tone from the amp that they use. Its usually series of modifications or pedals or modifications to the guitar itself. Everything makes a huge difference in tone if you've got an ear for it.
Save up about $500 more and get a Marshall JCM 800 and an overdrive pedal.

Bam, instant '80s.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
well i know there would have to be pedals involved. So a Marshall JCM800 is a good choice?

and what kind of guitar would be good for 80s metal?
Lol about the JCM800. Everyone seems to love it except me For 500 bucks go for a Peavey Vypyr, it seriously is really good for it's price. If you had more money I would buy a nice Mesa Boogie :P
Anything with a medium output humbucker should do you, really.

What kind of '80s metal? We talking hair/glam, thrash, stoner/doom? Some bands/artists you like?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by redick4ulous
well i know there would have to be pedals involved. So a Marshall JCM800 is a good choice?

and what kind of guitar would be good for 80s metal?

Jackson, Ibanez, Gibson anything man.

Dont take our opinions into too much consideration, remember this is YOUR stuff which I guarantee will be a bit different from our gear once you find out what you want.

Personally I'm a Jackson man, you could be a Gibson or Dean kinda guy I dont know.
Quote by Raijouta

What kind of '80s metal? We talking hair/glam, thrash, stoner/doom? Some bands/artists you like?

The guitar has much less to do with the "character" of the tone than the amp. Guitar's tend to limit people more in terms of how they feel, the fret access and the sustain capabilities, obviously different pickups will change the tone but nowhere near as much as new amp.
Quote by Raijouta

I named my favorites in my first post. Scorpions, Quiet Riot, and Skid Row. Their tone is definitely what I'm looking for.
Yes to the Marshall (Its the Law for 80's)
Guitars? Kramer and Charvel were favourite but Jackson, ESP, Ibanez, Cort, Yamaha RGX, almost any Superstrat will get you there. Even a HSS Strat
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Just buy a Laney AOR for 400. simple. you win
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
what type of guitar pickups would you say would be the best for this? I have a Hagstrom Ultra Swede which I love, but the pickups aren't hot enough for metal. They're passable, but they're really only good for classic rock.
Throw a Seymour Duncan JB in it
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Ugh, the only good suggestion in this thread is the AOR...

Also look into the Peavey VTM and Butcher, and possibly the Windsor or Ultra.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
In order of expense; Laney AOR, Marshall JCM800, Soldano SLO.

Any of those will give an authentic 80s sound. Sure you could do a half-arsed job with a Vyper but for the real thing those three amps pretty much define the era.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification