i was in my music shop today and saw they had like 10 strats (on display), that got me thinking what do you think the most popular guitar is?
strats but les pauls are close behind
CHECK OUT MY BAND!
myspace.com/protestingmodernlife

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG320DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Digitech Metal Master
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Yamaha Acoustic
Strats because there are so many models at every price point. Personally I can't tell much difference between a £150 copy and a £1000 Fender MIA
Les Pauls are not even Gibsons best sellers. That honour goes to the SG, believe it or not. But there are a lot of LP copies 'cos, like the Strat, its an iconic guitar.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Personally I can't tell much difference between a £150 copy and a £1000 Fender MIA

You really need to play more guitars...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yep, as anyone already said, strats are the most popular guitars. It's what springs to mind when someone not familiar with guitars thinks about the aesthetics of the electric guitar in general.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
Quote by MetalMonsterzzz
Strats... boring..

Burn them!!!! >D Metal 4 life!

your hardcore man
post-punksymphonicblackeneddeathcore
As others have said, strat shapes are easily the most popular. When you look through many of the manufactures from Fender, Ibanez, Yamaha, Dean, Schecter, Jackson, or ESP LTD all make a strat styled entry level guitar. I would be willing to bet for every person who develops any playing talent there are easily 100 people who buy a guitar, play it for a month and find it too difficult or impossible to learn and put it in the closet. That is why entry level guitars are made by every manufacture, the mark up is high and the volume of units able to be sold is enormous. For every MIA Strat sold there must be 500 Squire Stop Dreaming Start Playing kits sold.

The strat design is relatable, relatively easy to produce, and familiar to the eye when people think 'guitar'.
I'd go with either Ibanez RGs, Strats or Les Pauls. Because just about every guitarist I know either has one or has a knockoff of one. o_o And as much as I hate to say it the only one of them I actually like is the normal Strat.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Les Paul or Strat. Every thing else is nothing compared to these 2 in sales.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by MetalMonsterzzz
Strats... boring..

Burn them!!!! >D Metal 4 life!

..... yeah coz you could never play metal on a strat......
Lol what a pointless thread. There are three iconic guitars.

In order
Strats
LPs
SGs

This is not new information to anyone. It's like asking "How metal is a BC Rich Warlock?"
Were you expecting people to say the most iconic shape is that Schecter Avenger or something?
Quote by siverstorm
Lol what a pointless thread. There are three iconic guitars.

In order
Strats
LPs
SGs

This is not new information to anyone. It's like asking "How metal is a BC Rich Warlock?"
Were you expecting people to say the most iconic shape is that Schecter Avenger or something?

sort of but the order is

1. Low end Strats (Squiers)
2. Strat copies (just about every brand)
3. actual Strotocasters

and more strats.

Nothing else comes close. Second...some type of Gibson copy... but not 'a Gibson'.
I actually meant it in that fashion.

I should've said I meant the shapes not the "Fenders" and "Gibsons".

But those shapes are arguably the most iconic. In that order. Strats in general (any brand) are the most produced model and without a doubt the most popular.

LPs lag significantly behind although they are stilll second with SG's being third. (This is up for debate though, some people may feel SG's are more popular I think it's LPs.)
Bear in mind I have very little knowledge of Metal/Shred-guitars. These also cover their main subdivisions (Eg. USA Strat = Custom Shop/Standards/Deluxes etc) and exclude copies etc that don't really need considering. From experience/impression here's a non-exhaustive list:

Tier 1: Fender USA Strat / Gibson SG / Gibson Les Paul
Tier 2: Fender USA Telecaster / Epiphone Les Paul / Fender MIM Strats / Ibanez RGs
Tier 3: Fender MIM Teles / Gretsch G5120 / Schecter C-1s(?) / Gibson ES-335

Can't really think of anymore massively popular ones. Feel free to add.