hey guys, posted a question yesterday about whether I should get an better amp or a better guitar first and it was made pretty clear I should get a better amp first.

Which 10-15 watt amp (preferably a 15 watt) has the best distortion? doesn't have to have a model just looking for a brand although a specific series would be appreciated.

thanks guys.
Budget? Tube or SS? what guitar are you running through it? What kind of music do you play? Br00tz distortion or what?

Need answers :P
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Budget? Tube or SS? what guitar are you running through it? What kind of music do you play? Br00tz distortion or what?

Need answers :P

ive got a fender squier strat. and i like to play metal, like parkway, all that remains etc.
i have very little knowledge about amps so i have no idea what the difference is between tube or ss. oh and i can spend $500 AUD which is like about 450 USD
Check out the Peavey Vyprs, ou might just be able to get a 30 watt one with the money you have, if not the 15 watt should be good.
Quote by Viter
get a line 6 spider IV 75 watt...
or the 15 watt.

no. not this TS.

budget for said 10-15 watt distortion amp?
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 24, 2010,
Peavey Vypyr, clear best choice for what you want.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
yeah probably a peavey vypyr 30 since ur still a beginner.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
we really need a budget. Otherwise people like me wil be deliberately obtuse and recommend things like cornford hurricanes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
we really need a budget. Otherwise people like me wil be deliberately obtuse and recommend things like cornford hurricanes.

Quote by timwr
ive got a fender squier strat. and i like to play metal, like parkway, all that remains etc.
i have very little knowledge about amps so i have no idea what the difference is between tube or ss. oh and i can spend $500 AUD which is like about 450 USD

hmm...
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Generally speaking, tube is generally accepted as better tone, but a good SS can be right there with it.

I would get a peavy vypyr 15 or 30. They are SS, but sound great. They have "amp models" which do accautly sound alot like thier bigger brothers. I like the XXX and 6505 settings.

Honestly though, for $450 USD, you might be able to find a decent tube head and cab. There is a 5150 combo at my local guitar center for $479. This is the amp that the 6505 setting on the vypyr is based around (roughly). It's awesome for heavy metal.

It also depends on how loud you practice and if your gigging or not. The vypyr 15 or 30 wouldn't cut it for a reasonable sized gig, but the 5150 would.

Still, can't go wrong with a vypyr...
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Honestly though, for $450 USD, you might be able to find a decent tube head and cab. There is a 5150 combo at my local guitar center for $479. This is the amp that the 6505 setting on the vypyr is based around (roughly). It's awesome for heavy metal.

Normally this would be a valid suggestion however this definitely will not work for the ts at all. Mainly because it's a bit more then the 10-15watt the ts wanted but more importantly the ts comes from Australia where they have snake crawling all over them while they sleep and have kangaroos in their backyard and cook shrimp on the barbie. Oh and because there is no guitar center here and the price for a 6505 head by itself new is about 4 times the budget of the ts.
Shrimp on the baaaaaaaaarbie. I think I just died laughing!
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I think if someone from Australia could list a few option in the TS's range, that would help us recommend some stuff.

I missed the budget too, don't feel bad Dave. lol

edit: Phil to the rescue.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 25, 2010,
Quote by holycow
hmm...

dang, i missed that

Quote by gregs1020

I missed the budget too, don't feel bad Dave. lol

and nice work phil
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try a roland cube 15x, has 4 boss effects, i like all of them. With power squeezer you can get good tones with lower volume too. It's only disadvantage i have found so far is that it has no footswitch output, can be solved by tapping on the channel switch with your shoes
TS ?

Am I missing something or am I just an idiot.

What's TS ?
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
threadstarter
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
a roland micro cube amp would be a great choice . i have roland micros before and its every thing you could want in a amp and then some