So, for a school assignment, i have to write a 2500 or so word essay about anything musical, that shows off my musical knowledge.

To be honest, im not too good with theory.

So, i want to basically look at the general post-hardcore genre, going on to maybe paying out on terrible bands like attack attack, while proving and making points, based on musical theory and such.

So, any ideas?

I understand, that you arent going to write my whole assignment for me, but your help would be useful.

Thanks a lot.

<3
In a crooked little town,
They were lost and never found.
Fallen leaves, fallen leaves, fallen leaves,
On the ground.
So, i want to basically look at the general post-hardcore genre, going on to maybe paying out on terrible bands like attack attack, while proving and making points, based on musical theory and such.
That would be terrible. Any attempt to prove that music is bad is completely futile. so don't bother.
Inhuman evil take down!
I'm pretty sure you can't prove that a band is terrible by using theory

I think you should explain some musical stuff like tension and resolve, how the frequencies of notes in chords or a key are related, or take a look at and analyze modern music without trying to show it sucks. Depends on the audience for how in depth with the subject you want to go really.

Or start from the basics of music theory and explain them in easy to understand ways. This would help your theory knowledge as well
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Last edited by FacetOfChaos at May 24, 2010,
I'm currently doing an investigation for college on the history of the concerto from the baroque era to the early 1900's.

Doing an essay on why you think a band sucks is a terrible idea.
you can't prove that a band sucks. it's like matthew mcconaughey. he sucks but nobody can prove it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Write a paper about the I-IV-V and how overused it is, but also consider its unquestioned usefulness over many eras and genres.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Okay, so maybe its impossible to prove how badly Attack Attack! suck, maybe i saw this as an opportunity to rage at them.

And, it doesnt have to be about theory, however it does have to show my musical knowledge, which would most definitely include theory, if not being mostly theory.

The I-IV-V chord idea is good.
Except, im not too sure i could get 2500 words on it.
Anyone seen any articles similar to this that might help me?
Still open to ideas.
What sort of, i dunno, format could i write this in?

Any help is amazing.

<3
On the ground.
Did i mention i found out about this like last week and its due in 3 days?
On the ground.
As a guy i used to work with used to tell me 'Thers no such thing as bad music, only music you dont like'
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, 'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
This situation is your own fault for not being prepared for school work. As others have said, an opinion piece about whether a band sucks will not score you any points with anyone. I'd just write on something you already know about (hopefully you know about something).

Although I'd be tempted to write a piece on the evolution of distorted instruments and the effect it has had on music. Or how the creation of CDs affected albums.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
i don't know, man. i could write 2500 words about theory easily, but that seems like it would be really boring to the reader. i suggest doing something on the development of a certain form. keep your topic vague, too. maybe the development of tonal music over the last millennium? that's something i'd like to read.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.