Hi all

I'm looking to buy a small valve amp, just for home use, I've got a laney for gigs and so on but it dosnt make a sound till 2 and well its just to loud for at home.

To be more specific
I've got £300
Heaviest I play is sabbath
Nice clean channel ( I play a little simi accoustic)
Must have clean to distortion channel switch
Must sound vintage

I don't need big or loud, just quality and enough volume to keep up with a good stereo. I've no brand preferance although orange amps always seem nice

I will eventually be going to try out amps at store but wanted to get a list of must trys first and shops always have THEIR fav amps so you know

Anyway
Thanks a lot

Paul
blackstar ht-5 is a 5 watter with 2 channels. orange's version is the tiny terror or dual terror. i think they might be out of your range but i only know $s. Blackheart also makes low wattage valve amps to check out. And also check the Vox Night Train. All these amps have tons of youtube videos to get a general idea of the tone.
Nothing sounds more vintage than a Fender Champ. The Champion 600 is basically a reissue of a 50's one, just hook it up to a nice speaker instead of the toy thing they have in it and you're golden. Boosted it can get heavy enough for Sabbath to amuse you at home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I really do not like the champ 600. (Though i never tried it through a bigger speaker) It was defo really quiet though.

And i second the Laney VC15 option. Sounds perfect for you.
Channel 2 is your tubescreamer in boost mode.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by mynamewontfit
Look into the Laney VC15, for 300 quid you can get one in sexual vintage white

Apparently they sound good too

yep, I've got one and they're nice. Good cleans and definitely hits sabbath for sure. Maybe a little bit too loud for your bedroom but only when its wound out.
Thank you all for the posts,

Hands down I think the laney in vintage english white is so, well wow. The blackstar sounds good but isn't much to look at and I really arnt taken with the champion.
But saying that I havnt played them yet and youtube as helpfull as it is| I've got crapy pc speakers as its not a fair representation of what these amps can do.

Its a few months of yet but ill let you know how I get on

Thanks again
Quote by poomahloo
Thank you all for the posts,

Hands down I think the laney in vintage english white is so, well wow. The blackstar sounds good but isn't much to look at and I really arnt taken with the champion.
But saying that I havnt played them yet and youtube as helpfull as it is| I've got crapy pc speakers as its not a fair representation of what these amps can do.

Its a few months of yet but ill let you know how I get on

Thanks again

I'm sorry? Isn't much to look at? So you'd take an amp that sounds worse and LOOKS better or did I just read that wrong?
Quote by consecutive e
I'm sorry? Isn't much to look at? So you'd take an amp that sounds worse and LOOKS better or did I just read that wrong?

It's wrong to make such a black and white division of looks and sound, but at least for me looks are very important in an amp. I'd say about 30% looks, 70% tone.
Quote by skeleb
It's wrong to make such a black and white division of looks and sound, but at least for me looks are very important in an amp. I'd say about 30% looks, 70% tone.

is this some kind of sick joke?

I'd buy an amp with a picture of Mickey Rourke on if it had an awesome tone
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
laney vc15 sounds like a good call to me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by robbo546hall
is this some kind of sick joke?

I'd buy an amp with a picture of Mickey Rourke on if it had an awesome tone

Hehe I could say the same to you. I just couldn't buy an amp if it looked horrible, though I'm glad that most amps look ok, and a handful of amps look great to my tastes.
Try out the VOX AC4TV for sure. Not as much of an amp compared to the Laney or HT5, but goes from 4w to 1w to 1/4w, so you'll be able to crank it up. Would work well for the bedroom I'd think.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
Quote by Cathbard
Nothing sounds more vintage than a Fender Champ. The Champion 600 is basically a reissue of a 50's one, just hook it up to a nice speaker instead of the toy thing they have in it and you're golden. Boosted it can get heavy enough for Sabbath to amuse you at home.

I second that, I have an 80's fender champ for home use.
Works awsome for just the bedroom.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
No I wouldn't buy an amp or guitar on looks that's just dence, but yes looks is are a factor when buying kit, I don't want my guitar or amp to look like a pile of crap- on the other hand I don't want it to all look the part and sound like the speakers got a hole in it.

If I played the blackstar and it sounds ace I'd buy it, but I havnt so I can only comment on looks for now and in that area the laney wins, that's all I ment.
I did mean to say I'd be trying the out at shops but just wanted to get an idea of what amps to try

Sorry for any confusion on that one, my bad
For bedroom use and at £300 budget I would have to go with Blackstar HT 5...good tone and build quality, celestion speaker, effects loop, comes with a foot switch, tone adjustment/shaping and got Guitarists choice. No reverb though so you will need a pedal.
Last edited by g1jammer at May 25, 2010,
I played a super champ ages ago. Didn't know it was valve.

Does anyone know. Is there any real differnce between the blackstar ht5 combo and mini stack?
Quote by poomahloo
I played a super champ ages ago. Didn't know it was valve.
Valve power amp.