hey guys im after a 2x12 cab atm to down size my rig so i can fit it all in a live in case.

what i wanna know is all the 2x12 cabs iv seen are only seem to run at 120watts so if my head is 120 watts is this going to be ok as i thought the general rule was run a cab thats atleast double the power output of your head. can anyone gimme a lil bit of help.

cheers guys
You generally want a cab rated higher than your amp to be safe, but you would most likely be fine since I doubt you crank it up all the way. You could buy an Avatar cab without speakers and put in some eminence speakers, most of them are rated pretty high
If you're playing metal with that 120W amp, I wouldn't worry about the cab wattage as much as if you were playing rock or hard rock.

With metal, the bulk of your distortion comes from the preamp with the Master on maybe 2 or 3, which is pretty low on the amps RMS rating.

Where you run into trouble is if you're going for power tube distortion from a cranked amp for rock genres. Then the amp can be pushing as much as 2x its wattage rating.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by im_bored
You generally want a cab rated higher than your amp to be safe, but you would most likely be fine since I doubt you crank it up all the way. You could buy an Avatar cab without speakers and put in some eminence speakers, most of them are rated pretty high

i am about tired of hearing this advice. hardly anyone cranks their amp all the way up, and that is about the only time you are going notice the speakers breaking up.

also 'safe' is a misleading term, because using a speaker at all is stressful on the speaker and wears it down. using a speaker near it's power handling limits stresses the speaker more, but a 35 watt rated speaker on a 35 watt tube amp will handle JUST FINE without any need to worry about a blow out.

now if you are using 'safe' in a since that you don't want any kinda 'speaker rounding/breakup' because it is not desirable to you (like when you play 'metal') then it would be best to get some extra headroom so that the speaker react more linearly to volume levels on your amp. overrated speakers will be less likely to get muddy and 'flub up' your notes and tonality, it'll keep a tighter signal.

besides, as you mentioned, and everyone else has mentioned, you are probably not gonna be cranking you tube amp anyway on those speakers as metal doesn't prefer power amp distortion because it undermines their low end. so overrating your speakers is a big non-issue hear.

that being said, i like something like a G12K-100 in my metal cabs.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at May 24, 2010,
ok guys getting some good advice here.

what im thinking is getting an unloaded custom cab ( trying to find a builder in the UK) and load it with 100watt celestion g12k's im thinking this should do the trick.
many europeans do harley benton (i think i spelled that right). it is also fairly popular to mix the G12k-100 with another fairly high power handling speaker, like a G12T-75 (too bleh for me) or a V30 (too blocky, with mids that try too hard for my tastes). but then again the G12K-100 sounds stiff and sterile to me, that is why i moved to more responsive weber variants. i would prefer a couple of G12K's personally over mixing it with another speaker, but plenty of people feel it gives a more full tone and helps sit in the mix better. if you have an option of trying out a few setups i would recommend experimentation, you may really like mixing that K
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae