I got the idea from a post at the recent supergroup thread, saying that the combined forces of Steven Wilson, Mike Portnoy and Mikale Akerfeldt will cause the creation of 30 minute songs.

So this made me think, what is the SHORTEST prog rock song?
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Pink Floyd - Stop is only 30 seconds, though I bet there are shorter ones
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Ignite
Just because a it's prog rock doesn't mean it has to be long

Exactly.
Quote by GoodnightHero
The best prog songs.
Seriously, movie long songs are so ****ing stupid.

Yes, however Yes's Roundabout and Starship Trooper are almost 10 mins long each and go by in a flash.
Quote by whitenihilist

It was a joke guys...

The average prog song is lile 6:45 or some thing close.

I was gonna say Stop as well...

I know, but still.
It's not really a prog rock song if it's that short, I mean progressiveness is almost defined by a lack of structure/awesome instrumentation and unfortunately, 20-30 seconds isn't exactly enough time to establish this, it would only be a song by a prog rock band, not a prog rock song.
Quote by GoodnightHero
The best prog songs.
Seriously, movie long songs are so ****ing stupid.

Because prog songs have to be long to fit in all the kickass ideas.
Quote by Deplorable
It's not really a prog rock song if it's that short, I mean progressiveness is almost defined by a lack of structure/awesome instrumentation and unfortunately, 20-30 seconds isn't exactly enough time to establish this, it would only be a song by a prog rock band, not a prog rock song.

that's the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard.

progessiveness is about introducing new things that haven't been done before, wether the song is long or short has nothing to do with it.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
"Stupid Dream" on the album of the same title by Porcupine Tree is only 29 seconds long.
On "Up The Downstair", another album by Porcupine Tree, the track "Monuments Burn Into Moments" is only 22 seconds long.
On the Shadow Gallery record "Carved in Stone", there's bridge in between the songs, but I don't know whether they'll count as songs, the shortest of which is 16 seconds. Another one of those is 19 seconds.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by the bartender

progessiveness is about introducing new things that haven't been done before, wether the song is long or short has nothing to do with it.

No, I believe this is experimental....but when you think of it....there's no prog without experimental.
Quote by Guitar0player
Yes, however Yes's Roundabout and Starship Trooper are almost 10 mins long each and go by in a flash.

I know what you mean.

I've been listening to 10 to 20 minute songs almost exclusively lately, and I'm so used to them now, they seem like 5 minutes songs used to.

Now I listen to a 4 minutes song and I'm like "wait... it's over already?!"
Quote by the bartender

To an extent I agree with you, however, by today's standards, progressive is a genre, rather than a writing process, to be progressive by the definition of the word, you are correct, but in terms of the genre of music, progressiveness is really not about doing new things, it is about adhering to a certain sound/blueprint for writing.
Quote by Ignite
I know what you mean.

I've been listening to 10 to 20 minute songs almost exclusively lately, and I'm so used to them now, they seem like 5 minutes songs used to.

As once said by Steven Wilson: "Time Flies"
Quote by Guitar0player

Roundabouts fine. I've never heard starship trooper. Yeah there are some ok ones like Pink floyd's shine on you crazy diamond, but most of them get really boring. And they're just a waste of really good ideas.
Quote by Guitar0player
As once said by Steven Wilson: "Time Flies"

a song which is, perhaps ironically, 11 minutes long.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Ignite
I know what you mean.

That's what she said!

ZZZZZZZING!!
Karnivool - Omitted for Clarity.

20 seconds of silence.

EDIT:

Quote by Ignite
I know what you mean.

Agreed.

I listened to Octavarium with one of my work buddies. They were flabbergasted that someone had written a song that long.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at May 24, 2010,
Quote by Deplorable

This uh... This does not mesh with my definition of prog :/
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
As in a lack of 'intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/outro' As generally used in rock and pop.

yup

Edit: in fact, some of the best prog bands tend to be able to use their structures to develop themes absolutely brilliantly.
Last edited by Deplorable at May 24, 2010,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
As in a lack of 'intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/outro' As generally used in rock and pop.

Ah right. So a lack of a sort of standard structure for the genre? Gotcha.

Yeah, I can agree with that.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Karnivool - Omitted for Clarity.
20 seconds of silence.

Hooray for the most annoying shuffle track ever written.

1 of very few Karnivool "inspirations" i dislike lol