So I have a Yamaha Pacificia 112 which I rate as a nice strat and planning to it keep for a long time. However, there is no denying the standard pickups leave a little to be desired. Instead of pumping out a lot for a new amp/guitar to improve my tone, I am looking at replacing the bridge pickup.

Basicaly what is a good pickup for vintage rock/blues. Looking at Seymor Duncan site I have no idea on how it to narrow down as it appears about 6 seem to fit the bill. Also I am not the most experienced guitarist, and quite ignorant with regard to gear.

And one more question, a good Seymor Duncan humbucker is worth half of my guitar, is it even worth it (I defiantly think it is as I plan on keeping this guitar for a long time, just want another opinion).

tldr Want to replace the standard bridge position pickup in my Yamaha 112 strat replica for a good/top end pickup for vintage rock/blues. What pickup should i pickup?
what amp do u have? if u have a shit amp, changing pickups will not improve ur tone much.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
what amp do u have? if u have a shit amp, changing pickups will not improve ur tone much.

Vox Pathfinder 10...so shit amp. What do you call a good amp, basically any respectable valve amp?
doesnt have to be a valve amp.

but at the very least, something above an absolute starter, is needed to notice the subtle nuances of a pup change.

i strongly suggest you invest in an amp upgrade prior to pup swap.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
i strongly suggest you invest in an amp upgrade prior to pup swap.

+1

Quote by jj1565
doesnt have to be a valve amp.

It would be good if you can skip the mid rangey stuff and get to the good stuff immediately.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
+1

It would be good if you can skip the mid rangey stuff and get to the good stuff immediately.

Since I am not gigging (nor plan to, just love playing in the bed room) what do you call a "good" amp: Blackstar HT-5 combo, Marshall DSL401 range? I don't mind splurging but amps another step up from these seem excessive considering my skill level at the momet.
Unless you gig then i recommend the vox ac4 tv, great for bedroom playing and it fits those genres.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Just the pickup won't help that much.........the yamaha pot's and wiring aren't the best. Everything Fender will fit under the yamaha pickguard so try to find a used fender loaded pickguard swap it to your yamaha pickguard. here is one i've done my 1992 RGZ612p and it sounds amazing it has a JB in the bridge and fender noiseless neck and middle.
Quote by Effecient
Since I am not gigging (nor plan to, just love playing in the bed room) what do you call a "good" amp: Blackstar HT-5 combo, Marshall DSL401 range? I don't mind splurging but amps another step up from these seem excessive considering my skill level at the momet.

if you want to stay in bedroom practice range, rock / blues,
i suggest 30W vox modeling amp. i think it's the AD series.

for heavier music also look at roland and peavey modeling amps.
just be sure to stay in the 30 watt range. anything more and you should
probably jump up to a tube amp.

if you want to get something entry level tube, you might want to look at
a used 15w blues jr, (with a couple of pedals), or a 5 watt tube amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011