This isn't a thread for me to whinge and whine, but i have to let this out

For the past few months now, i have been trying to write my own music, and actually write something worthy of putting on a demo/album/w/e

But i cannot seem to write anything very great, in my own mind of course, and i am wondering how people like my idols could come up with such great music and here i am in my room, unable to even right my own song

And i'm not talking some lame 4 chord song with the intro-verse-chorus-verse-bridge-solo-outro plan

No

I am talking harmonies,melodies,interludes,lead breaks,chorus,different time shifts etc
and everything i do is just un-inspired and lacking any substance

I want to be able to write ten minute songs like Burzum but i just can't seem to do anything correctly, and it really takes the joy out of playing, so basically, lil advice for a newbie to writing?
at first i felt the same way about writing songs. you have to write the crappy songs in order to learn how to write the good one. you have to start small and work your way up, just like anything else, really. thats just my opinion though haha
It takes a looong time to write those big 10 minute long songs. Some really great songs are in the production process for months!

If you get a riff you kinda like - write it down somewhere, keep it safe. Then maybe a couple of weeks later you'll be jamming with your band and a great harmony will just spring out from seemingly nowhere.

One of my bands best live songs took over a year from writing the original riff before we were happy to play it live. I've played that bass solo quite literally hundreds of times now, yet last band practice we were jamming on it and we added a new drum fill into the chorus! songs rarely just appear out of nowhere in a short space of time.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
yeah shred... take your time... and practice writing every day... we all write turds so its a common thing... build your way up to writing those ten minute opus' like Burzum.

Have an idea in your mind of how you would like it to sound... and then just start. Thats all there is to it. There isn't a magic formula or anything... you just gotta go with your head and heart sometimes... oh wait... you said Burzum... ahem... sometimes you just gotta go with your head... and it takes a lot of practice.

I hope you come right bro...
Oh boy... I can't tell you the number of other writers who feel your pain. The good news... I know so many who were once where you are now who are currently playing their songs in bars, recording albums, and touring the country. It all comes with time and practice.

Two things:

1) Get out of your room! You won't be able to write with substance if your life is not of substance right now. Even simple lyrics can be so much more powerful when they're about something.

2)Play with other people. Write with other musicians. Have someone else play the song you wrote. I remember when I was just starting to write and being impressed with the smallest little lick a friend of mine, who was a lot less experienced at guitar, was playing. I asked him about it, and he told me he was trying to figure out a line he heard me play last week. Everything sounds better when you're not judging your own creation. Very simple lines can sound a lot more full when backed up by a band.
I still have this problem and I've been writing my own music.

It's not uncommon, it happens to everyone, dude so don't sweat it. And I know it can be be incredibly discouraging, but don't give up. If you come up with some riffs or chorus parts, right em down somewhere or record em (if possible) so that one day, you might get an idea shoot into your mind to go with that first riff, and then you're on your way to writing something.

Like I said, I still have this problem. I'm supposed to be writing guitar parts for my band's Demo/EP but I feel like I've completely ran out of creativity. Everything I write just sounds like boring shit to me now. And there have been times when I've thought "F*ck this, I'm shit. Can't f*cking do this" but you get past those thoughts and keep on trying.

Trust me, you'll get better with practise, like anything. Just keep at it.
I have the same problem, but you are probably trying harder than me, so good job!
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
Trust me, you'll get better with practise, like anything. Just keep at it.

i'm not ashamed to admit that i find myself in the same situation sometimes. however, i wholeheartedly agree with the above statement. if you want to get good at something, you have to do it. even composition/songwriting.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by ShredHead396
But how does writing more improve your skills, when there really is no good or bad song?

actually, there are such things as good or bad songs. but not objectively so.

if you write a song in a certain form/style, it gives you experience with that form/style. if i write a song in the intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-etc. format, i'd get better at writing in that format. if i wrote something in sonata form, i'd get better at writing things in sonata form. it's just to give you experience. write a couple of throwaways if you must.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
The more you write the more you start to work out what you like, and what you don't like, what works for you, and you start to develop your own sound.

You didn't expect yourself to play like a pro in your first couple of months of picking up a guitar, so why expect yourself to write like a pro straight away?
^ Because i do not believe in a '' pro '' or '' better '' songwriting

What makes Brian Hoffmans Songs any better than Jon Nodveidts?

Neithers material is better, just different, how can there really be a bad song?

Something i am concerned about, is after i write about 2 songs, my material well will be dried up and i will run out of riffs, and the stuff that i continue to write with have riffs and tempos that sound near to exact, thus i start rehasing older material, does anyone get what i mean? i think after a couple songs i'm going to starting writing all the same stuff
I get what you mean... and that is where you start experimenting with progressions... rhythmic diversity and melodies ad nauseum.

What may sound the same... does not have to be... your melody can alter it into something new.

Writing two songs does not dry up the well... the well just needs time to fill again.
Quote by evolucian
I get what you mean... and that is where you start experimenting with progressions... rhythmic diversity and melodies ad nauseum.

What may sound the same... does not have to be... your melody can alter it into something new.

Writing two songs does not dry up the well... the well just needs time to fill again.

Wow, that's a great metaphor, i'm actually quite impressed by that remark

So what does someone of your experience suggest to someone in my position, i also did do some writing tonight
My suggestion would be to re-read that post and work on the three things I listed.

My other suggestion would be to read that PM i sent you yesterday and try some of that stuff too
Quote by ShredHead396
And i'm not talking some lame 4 chord song with the intro-verse-chorus-verse-bridge-solo-outro plan

Thats the problem, you are trying to write to 'complicated' stuff way to fast. Dont run before you can walk. Every songwriter starts out with simple 4 chord songs, atlast thats why I did and all the writers I know. You might consider it lame, but if you do really enjoy (writing) music then you will enjoy writing those aswell. And its not as easy as you make it sound. Start slowly, and indeed use the basis verse-chorus etc plan to organize your songs at first. You need to learn the basics of writing before you can start breaking the traditional rules. Thats all the advice I can give you.
^ Interesting

Do you think Euronymous's first song was a standard 4 chord intro verse chorus verse bridge solo outro?
It doesn't matter what somebody else did - there's people out there who have a natural knack for this kind of thing, same as everything else.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ShredHead396
^ Interesting

Do you think Euronymous's first song was a standard 4 chord intro verse chorus verse bridge solo outro?

I believe Mayhem's Ghoul, or rather most of their pre-DMDS songs are rather simplistic.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Funnily enough, i prefer the tunes off of deathcrush as opposed to the ones off of the second album
try and get a fellow writer in on it, it helped for a song i co-made, and dam is it one sick song, 2 minds are greater then one, or you could drop a tab.... (but thats a last resort)
So anyways, it's not really hard to write songs, you just have to have a good imagination. Also, try doing variations on a single theme. I'm not into the technical side of songwriting though, I just drift wherever it takes me.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
ya gotta crawl before your can walk. idk how many 4 chord (and 3 chord) basic songs i have just thrown out there. all the time i listen to material where i think "well, on the technical side this isnt difficult, but it sounds damn good" have you ever heard the term less is more? sometimes it is, sometimes it isnt. i wouldnt try to force riffs.
^ Yeah yeah totally, i get what you mean

But in Metal, i really dislike the whole 4 chord BS approach to it, so at the moment, i am piecing together some minor triads with some more simpler black metal music, when i'm done i'll bump this thread and upload it to my profile, if any of you would like to hear my first song
Quote by ShredHead396
This isn't a thread for me to whinge and whine, but i have to let this out

For the past few months now, i have been trying to write my own music, and actually write something worthy of putting on a demo/album/w/e

But i cannot seem to write anything very great, in my own mind of course, and i am wondering how people like my idols could come up with such great music and here i am in my room, unable to even right my own song

No

I am talking harmonies,melodies,interludes,lead breaks,chorus,different time shifts etc
and everything i do is just un-inspired and lacking any substance

I want to be able to write ten minute songs like Burzum but i just can't seem to do anything correctly, and it really takes the joy out of playing, so basically, lil advice for a newbie to writing?

- Don't try tooo hard

- have realistic expectations

- Allow yourself to develop and enjoy of the process of doing so.

- treat music as an art rather than a sport to be measured by statistics (such as how long the song is, how many parts it has, or how fast it is).

- Have fun
shred is gaudy music
Isn't Dissection's Unhallowed's intro riff just 4 chords (with minimal melodies on top)?
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
A lot of tremolo picking 1 note at a time, a melody here and there

By the way wildchild, are you a fan of Dissection?
Yeah, I play like, 4 of their songs (Unhallowed, In the Cold Winds... , Starless Aeon, Dark Mother Divine).
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am