Hey guys on the wonderful UG Forums. I'm wondering is it possible to set a delay pedal up so that once you play one thing the delay repeats itself in order for you to harmonize it?

Thanks!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
well, depends what exactly your looking for. yngwie malmsteen sets up a long delay (like 2 seconds or something, ballpark) and harmonizes it. you can hear it in the song 'eclipse' right at the end. or in his trilogy suite solo.
but theres looper pedals too, if you mean to harmonize a long lick/run.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Thanks for the replies. If this will help, I own an Electro Harmonix Memory Boy.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Thanks for the replies. If this will help, I own an Electro Harmonix Memory Boy.

Not gonna cut it. You need a looper at best, or something with at least a couple seconds delay time at worst. You are more than likely going to find that a digital delay works best for this. It may be time for you to grab a nice feature-laden digital delay to compliment your memory boy. A lot of people (myself included) like to have one of each on the board since they're pretty different sounds.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Not gonna cut it. You need a looper at best, or something with at least a couple seconds delay time at worst. You are more than likely going to find that a digital delay works best for this. It may be time for you to grab a nice feature-laden digital delay to compliment your memory boy. A lot of people (myself included) like to have one of each on the board since they're pretty different sounds.

So can I still do some pretty wacky sounds with my analog delay?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24

O.O you got your pedal???? Sweet!
<.< The ninjas did it
Quote by Fisheth24

Ya definitely... Just not harmonizing longer licks. Analog is generally used for shorter delays and digital for the longer ones.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You're gonna want a pretty long delay time, so a digital delay would be best. Brian May's Brighton Rock solo does this. He uses 2 delays, one set to 600ms the other to 1200 ms each set to repeat just once. The volume of the repeat is about the same level as the original signal so it can be heard, so you'll want to keep that in mind too if you are going to try this.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by tubetime86
Ya definitely... Just not harmonizing longer licks. Analog is generally used for shorter delays and digital for the longer ones.

So generally, what sort of sounds should I be aiming for?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
So generally, what sort of sounds should I be aiming for?

My favorite is a short, single repeat slapback type of thing. I actually have a memory boy too, so I can try to help you with some settings but I don't have it here, so its a little hard for me to remember exactly... But try this:

Delay: 2-3 o'clock
Depth: off... (I only use the mod for weird noises really)
Blend: 9-10 o'clock

That is a pretty standard setting for an analog delay. Its almost more reminiscent of a reverb... Which I like. From there try upping the feedback and slowing down the delay for more distinct sounds.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
My favorite is a short, single repeat slapback type of thing. I actually have a memory boy too, so I can try to help you with some settings but I don't have it here, so its a little hard for me to remember exactly... But try this:

Delay: 2-3 o'clock
Depth: off... (I only use the mod for weird noises really)
Blend: 9-10 o'clock

That is a pretty standard setting for an analog delay. Its almost more reminiscent of a reverb... Which I like. From there try upping the feedback and slowing down the delay for more distinct sounds.

You know what? Thanks a lot! The Memory Boy is so sensitive to work with. :S
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
You know what? Thanks a lot! The Memory Boy is so sensitive to work with. :S

Use that as a base and go out from there. I always have the depth off for conventional stuff, and I always have the blend between 8 and 11 o'clock. The delay and feedback controls are what you need to focus on. Try using the feedback knob to get one distinct repeat only, now try two, now try three, etc. Now try getting a fast delay with few repeats that sounds more like a reverb, then try to get a longer delay with more repeats for a lead sound...

My point is that its not about trying to sit down and dial in one sound... Sit down and see how many sounds you can make, and in the process you'll get a feel for how things interact.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Use that as a base and go out from there. I always have the depth off for conventional stuff, and I always have the blend between 8 and 11 o'clock. The delay and feedback controls are what you need to focus on. Try using the feedback knob to get one distinct repeat only, now try two, now try three, etc. Now try getting a fast delay with few repeats that sounds more like a reverb, then try to get a longer delay with more repeats for a lead sound...

My point is that its not about trying to sit down and dial in one sound... Sit down and see how many sounds you can make, and in the process you'll get a feel for how things interact.

Thanks man! What digital delay pedal do you have?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Thanks man! What digital delay pedal do you have?

A Boss DD-3... Which I love for the sounds, but if I were to do it again I'd like something with a looping function and some more features like reverse delay. Someday I'll probably get a DD-7 or a DL4 for that stuff.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
A Boss DD-3... Which I love for the sounds, but if I were to do it again I'd like something with a looping function and some more features like reverse delay. Someday I'll probably get a DD-7 or a DL4 for that stuff.

Thanks! Much appriciated.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The Eventide TimeFactor will repeat at whatever interval you want it to. It can do dual delay as well, giving you an even easier way to harmonize with that.