some people say that you can and some people say cant..

some even say they have carried their guitar as hand luggage.....

can you?
Last edited by archenemyfan at May 24, 2010,
The band teacher at my school says they store it in the coat rack. He'd know, he plays bass and has had concerts all over.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by 100%guitarmad
On most airlines it has to fit either under the seat or in the overhead compatment, so it's a no from me.

I once asked an airline this question,and they said that it can be accomodated in the place where you put the coats,but actually when I went in they refused and told me to put it back to the normal luggage..this time I want to make sure

and is it safe enough when you put it with normal luggage?
Quote by archenemyfan
I once asked an airline this question,and they said that it can be accomodated in the place where you put the coats,but actually when I went in they refused and told me to put it back to the normal luggage..this time I want to make sure

and is it safe enough when you put it with normal luggage?

provided it's in a flight case, sure. If not... well, bye bye guitar.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You will have to “Gate Check” your guitar. Which means that you carry it with you through the airport and have them store it under the plain once you get to the gate before you get on the plane. Then when you land, you wait at the gate and they will bring it back to you. I traveled from New York to South Carolina with a guy who had an acoustic guitar and said he has been doing it that way for years. Call whatever airline you will be flying on to see how you can do a “Gate check”.
call the airline ahead of time. i've been on flights where i carry on a guitar and they stash it in a coat closet. othertimes, they've chucked it underneath (and severely damaged the guitar). check with the airline!
Quote by Pants1985
You will have to “Gate Check” your guitar. Which means that you carry it with you through the airport and have them store it under the plain once you get to the gate before you get on the plane. Then when you land, you wait at the gate and they will bring it back to you. I traveled from New York to South Carolina with a guy who had an acoustic guitar and said he has been doing it that way for years. Call whatever airline you will be flying on to see how you can do a “Gate check”.

thanks for the help man....i'll call my airline and see
Quote by krehzeekid
call the airline ahead of time. i've been on flights where i carry on a guitar and they stash it in a coat closet. othertimes, they've chucked it underneath (and severely damaged the guitar). check with the airline!

what do you mean "chucked it underneath" ?
Quote by archenemyfan
what do you mean "chucked it underneath" ?

in the main baggage compartment.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
in the main baggage compartment.

oh ok...where do they put in when you "gate check" it ? under the plain?
They put it in the same place your suitcase goes, on the baggage trolley.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
They put it in the same place your suitcase goes, on the baggage trolley.

ok so how does that make it safer?
it doesn't.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I've never had trouble taking mine on in flights the five times I have tried... but that one time they don't let you take it on with you is a bitch for sure.
It does make it a little safer. It doesnt go through the entire baggage system. They hand carry it from the gate to the bottom of the plane and place it at the front after all of the luggage has been loaded on the plane. Anything that is Gate Checked is the last thing on the plane and the first thing off the plane. The guy with his acoustic that I was with had no visible damage to the case after it had been placed under the plane.
Quote by Pants1985
It does make it a little safer. It doesnt go through the entire baggage system. They hand carry it from the gate to the bottom of the plane and place it at the front after all of the luggage has been loaded on the plane. Anything that is Gate Checked is the last thing on the plane and the first thing off the plane. The guy with his acoustic that I was with had no visible damage to the case after it had been placed under the plane.

ok what if I try to take on the plane,as hand luggage and then if they refuse,I gate check it?
each company has its own policy, and it';s usually stated in terms and conditions under sports and musical instruments. For example ryanair charge extra £50 per guitar one way and let it carry onboard
Quote by Drake22
each company has its own policy, and it';s usually stated in terms and conditions under sports and musical instruments. For example ryanair charge extra £50 per guitar one way and let it carry onboard

Ryanair is also the airline that charges 15 Eur for luggage regardless for an 11 Eur flight.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I would never put my instruments in the hold.

Most carriers like BA etc will let you take it on as carry on, not sure about the budget airlines though. Your best bet would be to phone and ask them first.
Quote by SoftlySpokenLas
I would never put my instruments in the hold.

Most carriers like BA etc will let you take it on as carry on, not sure about the budget airlines though. Your best bet would be to phone and ask them first.

I would most probably be flying on BA,

the problem is the hard case..its fairly large..will they allow it?
The best thing that you can do is call your airline and ask them about size/weight restrictions. That will get the most up-to-date answer possible.
My friends brought me two guitars from the middle east to canada with no problems. They also had a backpack. The guitars were taken and placed with coats onboard and given back to them upon arrival. But again that was a long haul flight on a 777 aircraft so i'd still call and check.
Ibanez GRX70
Yamaha C60
Quote by Shhadey
My friends brought me two guitars from the middle east to canada with no problems. They also had a backpack. The guitars were taken and placed with coats onboard and given back to them upon arrival. But again that was a long haul flight on a 777 aircraft so i'd still call and check.

with hardshell cases?what is the model

I am migrating from the US to Europe..so must be a large aircraft..
If you're flying long haul with BA then there shouldn't be a problem. However, make sure you check first. I would send them an email, be as specific as you can about what you want, and then print out their reply and take it with you to the gate.

Unfortunately I don't think you can make any blanket statement about carrying guitars on aircraft, as it will depend on the airline, the type of plane (so could be different even within one airline), how full the plane is, at what point you arrive a the gate (towards the front of the queue or the back), and maybe even the personality of the gate staff and cabin attendents...

The only statement I can guarantee is that Ryanair will try to screw you out of as much money as possible when you are standing in the front of the queue to board and have no other options left...

Many cases simply won't fit in the aircraft overhead locker (even without other peoples' luggage in there), so you'd have to take it in a thin case or a gig-bag, which then means trouble if they force you to put it in the hold...

One thing though, if flying short-haul (i.e. not paying too much for your ticket) the airline may allow you to buy a second seat for your guitar, and strap it in. This is common with expensive classical instruments like cellos. Costs more money, but might be worth it if you have a pricey axe.

Whatever you do, check the rules first and bring evidence of what you are told.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
i flew from the usa to UK with a strat in a hard case. i phoned the airline (delta) the day before and they let me carry it on and stowed it in the galley during the flight.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
My experiences : Some make you check it in. At check-in they have those size guides, if it don't fit, which it won't then they're not gna let you take it on.

Other times they've done the coat rack/overhead locker thing.

Then there's leaving it to be stored at the gate - what I believe they do with some odd-shaped things / wheelchairs (I think) and the like. Normally just when you get off they're laid out and you can collect it just off the plane.

Depends largely on the airline and type of flight (domestic/intl etc).
Quoting British Air,

Musical instruments may be carried in addition to your stated hand baggage allowance, providing the dimensions do not exceed those of a guitar and providing it can be security screened.

Quoting American Air,

Small musical instruments may be carried onboard the aircraft providing they meet existing carry-on size requirements and fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. Case dimensions may not exceed 45 dimensional inches (width + length + height), except for guitars which may be brought on board only if they can be safely stowed in an overhead bin or approved stowage location in the cabin. The instrument is considered the passenger's one allowed carry-on bag. A personal item is allowed in addition to the instrument. See Carry-On Allowance for more information.

If an instrument is too large to fit in the carry-on baggage space, an additional seat may be purchased. In this case, an instrument must travel in a window, bulkhead seat, with the customer in the adjoining seat. Due to their size Bass Fiddles are not accepted in the coach cabin and are only accepted on certain aircraft types, please contact an American Airlines representative at 1-800-433-7300.

Instruments may also be transported as checked baggage, however, due to their fragile nature AA does not accept liability for damages and has limited liability for loss. AA is also not liable for any damage to checked musical instruments not presented in a hard-sided case. If the outside of the hard-sided case does not have visible damage, AA is not liable for any damage to the musical instrument inside the case.

So those are slightly varying policies...
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Yeah I've flown Southwest Airlines with my guitar in overhead storage in its case.
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
Yes. Don't fly with AA.
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
I think it depends on which airline you choose, I've seen people take their Les Pauls with them on the plane in a hard case, a small ass hard case, but they put it in the overhead storage, but that was a 747 airplane, big ass plane.

I don't think you can if it's a small plane, but if it's a large plane I think you can.
Damn! Razbo, you beat me to pasting this link of the song "United Breaks Guitars."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
Apparently the airline took HORRIBLE care of a band's guitars which were very expensive. They demanded money for repairs, so United did not agree. They promised to humiliate the airline in retaliation.