hi guys
thanks for entering my thread

i'm a new guitarist,i ve been playing for about 2-3 years now

i just bought a new squier stratocaster,it sound pretty nice
but i wonder how could i make it sound more jazzy(like george benson's )
i mean to make it sound deeper and heavier

strings?pickups?tone knobs?amplifier?
what should i do with them?

i'm a newbie in electric guitars so please understand if the question is stupid or it's impossible to do..

thanks
i'd use middle pickup with low tone, also fat string would help, i use 11s. that won't do the sound but it'll be closer
Quote by plabon
i'd use middle pickup with low tone, also fat string would help, i use 11s. that won't do the sound but it'll be closer

yep,tried the pickup and tone
but not yet with the strings..
thanks a lot man..
Single coils will get you nowhere near Benson, Ideally you'd want a semi hollow electric guitar if you could. but since you've got the strat you could try replacing the pickups with some humbuckers. Playing with the neck pickup , with the tone completely on (not bassy, for rhythm and comping) and then tone rolled off for solos/twiddles and what have you

Heavy strings that are flatwound also.
thicker flatwound strings agreed.

also, make sure your neck pick up isn't right up on the strings. lower it "by ear" testing it as you go.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by professorlamp
Single coils will get you nowhere near Benson, Ideally you'd want a semi hollow electric guitar if you could. but since you've got the strat you could try replacing the pickups with some humbuckers. Playing with the neck pickup , with the tone completely on (not bassy, for rhythm and comping) and then tone rolled off for solos/twiddles and what have you

Heavy strings that are flatwound also.

yea,i would love to get a semi hollow,but it wont happen until like this december,so gotta stick with my strat..thanks for the advice,appreciated it.
Quote by gregs1020
thicker flatwound strings agreed.

also, make sure your neck pick up isn't right up on the strings. lower it "by ear" testing it as you go.

yea i think im gonna get those strings,first thing tmorow morning.lol
I like the neck/mid pickups with the middle tone knob rolled off quite a bit. Knobs on the amp then get adjusted to taste.

Not the best jazz tone, but it's a passable enough imitation for me.
Quote by Sir Anonymous
I like the neck/mid pickups with the middle tone knob rolled off quite a bit. Knobs on the amp then get adjusted to taste.

Not the best jazz tone, but it's a passable enough imitation for me.

i couldnt agree more
I usually use the neck or neck/mid position with the tone controls wide open. The tone control my amp is set at about 2-3 so that rolls off a lot of the treble. Neck position with the guitar's tone control turned down a bit sounds pretty 'jazzy' but can get a bit muddy. Neck/mid sounds the best IMO, has a nice 'boom'. You can adjust the tone controls on your guitar to taste