Hello again.

As I have posted about a couple of times before, there will be yet another philosophical debate. As these debates interest me alot, I would like to ask the question/problem here in order to gather some ideas and to see what you guys think.

This is the question: Does the state's power threaten it's citizens' freedom?

What do you guys think?
It might, as well as it might protect its citizen's freedom from corporations (not a Resident Evil reference).
Well, yes. Any time the state / country / nation / gov't gains power it takes freedom away from individuals. That's not always a bad thing though. For example, the government has the power to create laws and punish offenders, so people lose the freedom to murder and steal.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Power, in and of itself, is harmless--the threat lies in how that power is exerted.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Social contract

If upheld properly the state no matter how much power should fear its citizens
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Please feel free t share any ideas you may have about the subject.

I believe that it does take away certain freedom.

However, it stops other citizens taking even more freedom from you...
Always.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by diofan88
Social contract

If upheld properly the state no matter how much power should fear its citizens

I can see you've been reading Rousseau and/or Hobbes .

IMO it can if it's used in a wrong way. However, today it's mostly used in a wrong way. It depends on the government; in totalitarian it totally does threaten freedom, on the other hand in "democratic" governments it doesn't (at least shouldn't."
Marshall MG15DFX
Line 6 Spider III
Squier Strat Standard
Ibanez RG350EX
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Signature Wah
Quote by The_Casinator
It does, but if it's done right it's in the citizens' best interest.

That depends on what political system the citizen is a part of. For Capitalism it is absolutely necessary, however it is unnecessary and harmful in other political systems.
Quote by captaincrunk
The idea that a state could fear is ludicrous. It has no emotions.

French Revolution
American War of Independence
The revolutions of the 1840s in south America

I dunno mate, history thinks otherwise
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
That depends on what political system the citizen is a part of. For Capitalism it is absolutely necessary, however it is unnecessary and harmful in other political systems.

You have a point there.
Quote by Thrashtastic15

Capitalism is an economic system. Many different political systems embrace it many others reject it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Capitalism is an economic system. Many different political systems embrace it many others reject it.

I think his point was that if you have capitalism, you need state protections. I don't necessarily agree, but that's his point.
Quote by captaincrunk
I think his point was that if you have capitalism, you need state protections. I don't necessarily agree, but that's his point.

Yep, thanks for clarifying.
The only thing I could think of is this:

The power of the state to varying degrees limits the freedom of it's citizens. However, it depends on nature of state:

EX: Communist/fascist state limits not only basic freedoms, but also human rights, whereas the constraints under a liberal democratic nation could be considered to be those needed within a civilised society.
To a degree but in this society its probably still beneficial overall
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Um..... yes?

Perhaps you meant to ask whether that's a bad thing? It allows for more discussion.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)