i figured this thread was long overdue. Let's compare the pro's and cons of both a pedalboard and a multi effects pedal. I own a Digitech RP355 and i'm quite satisfied with the tone, but some people say that multi-effects are cheap substitues for a pedal board. I'd like to hear everyone's opinions
I'd love to hear the responses too, because I soon need to make a decision between getting a multi-effects or build a pedal board.
Last edited by Funk Monk at May 24, 2010,
Personally, I love the RP series. The higher the model number you can go on your budget the better off you'll be. The RP355 has plenty of tone variety and versitility, through a high end amp you wont have any need for a bulky pedal board and you'll save yourself a lot of money and spare yourself the dreaded "pedal board dance". *

*This is not an advertisement
I had a Digitech GNX3 for a while before I got my tube amp. It's a decent pedal with lots of presets but it's harder to change things on the fly. With my pedal board I have all my pedals right out in front of me so if I feel like my tube screamer has to much drive I'll turn it down right away. Maybe I want switch up the speed and stage of my phaser I just bend down and do so. Plus having build an actual pedal board out of scrape wood all my pedals stay in one place so it's just as easy to move as a multi-effects unit.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals

I'd rather one of these over shitty digitulz multi-fxorz

ololololololol

OT: I have a Zoom G1XN and it's decent for the money, but after I get a new amp I'm saving up for some decent pedals.
^ what in the f#*k?!

EDIT: Please tell me that's a joke....
Last edited by 420metalhead at May 24, 2010,
You can't go wrong with the GT-10, I messed around with it for a while, regretfully i couldn't afford it. But if it's within your range then go for it.
Quote by 420metalhead
^ what in the f#*k?!

EDIT: Please tell me that's a joke....

Nope, 147, all fully functioning pedals lol. I obvoiusly cant see any practical uses for this but it sure is pretty cool.
Quote by kacper_j
Nope, 147, all fully functioning pedals lol. I obvoiusly cant see any practical uses for this but it sure is pretty cool.

Yeah, they do a biggest pedal board every year, totally functional.

I like individual pedals just because of how nicely customizable they are.

But for situations like touring, I totally see the advantage of having a nice simple and cohesive system like the G major
I say pedal boards are better. Because you could find a good pedal for each effect. With the multi effects 1st of all it is digital and 2nd they just put a bunch of effects in one with just OK sound...it doesn't seem like they are trying to make good tone....just put a bunch of effects in one. But that's just my opinion
Quote by nightraven
yeah that board is a joke. it's the boards of about 10 different gear dealers put together for no reason.

http://zvex.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4005 this on the other hand is for realz

Na, it's real.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/new-record-established-717/

Not real as in someone uses it, but it works.
Quote by mespinos
Why not have both? T.C. Electronic g-system anyone?

I have one, ****ing awesome!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
I like single pedals better, they generally give better tones when you invest nice money into each one and if your multi unit breaks, everything is gone.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
To put in a nut shell, Multi Effects : Great for the price, but you can never beat a good pedal board.
Just like Epiphone and gibson : Epiphone is great for the price but you still cannot beat a good Gibson. That sum the entire thread up?
If you get your hands on a good multi-effects unit then you can edit the paramaters, you can come up with some pretty good tones
Not all of us with multifx are totally lost in the digital jungle. Mine are split over two rack units one is pure digital, but the one also with the boost and overdrive is totally analog for those functions. And I'm not alone. A multifx can be your gateway to MIDI magic.
I'm only using solid state overdrives under sufference let alone go totally digital...... errrrkkkk.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ubadood
To put in a nut shell, Multi Effects : Great for the price, but you can never beat a good pedal board.
Just like Epiphone and gibson : Epiphone is great for the price but you still cannot beat a good Gibson. That sum the entire thread up?

Weird analogy there, comparing an axe fx to an epiphone and a pedalboard of digitech death metals to a gibson.

/extreme example

A good pedalboard is going to be expensive, a good multi effects unit is going to be expensive. If you don't have too many pedals going on and you don't mind lugging them all around it will most likely offer you the better sound quality. However, for ease of use and portability I'd go with a MFX unit any day.
WTLTL 2011
Multifx

1. affordable overall.
2. no noise between effects (no cables between them)
3. not so easy to use.
4. each effects don't have as much dedicated features compared to stompbox units.
5. can be a bit digital sounding but not all. Line6 stompbox modelers are fantastic.
6. Eggs in 1 basket. If it blows, all your sound is gone.
7. Switch memory params easily for next song without wasting much time tweaking. Easy dialing in for the song you want.
8. Easy to carry and setup overall.
9. does not hold resale value. Easily obsolete due to improvement in algorithm/cpu power.

single pedals.

1. expensive overall.
2. noise due to different power and cable between effects, and different brand of effects. Eats more power too compared totally to mfx.
3. easy to use.
4. More variety of combos of different brand of same type effect and ordering. More dedicated functions.
5. Mostly analog but there're digital units. Prone to multiple adc-dac wastage.
6. If one effect fails, can still use other chain, either take them out or go into bypass.
7. troublesome to dial in for next song.
8. Lugging around and setup is a pain.
9. Holds resale value well.
All excellent points...but i suppose it all comes down to preference...i dont see a problem with a somewhat digital sound, it's not like it's just a shitty tone overall...
It's 100% preference. I'll always go with a pedalboard, because I like being able to tweak stuff anytime, and I'd never have a huge number of pedals on my board for a gig, so it'd never get that complicated.

If you're using lots of different sounds in songs, combinations of lots of effects, a multi-fx system might be the best choice (or pedals controlled by some sort of switching system). And as far as sound goes, plenty of digital units (G Major, Axe-FX) sound brilliant, and are as tweakable as a bunch of pedals.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by sfx
Multifx

1. affordable overall.
2. no noise between effects (no cables between them)
3. not so easy to use.
4. each effects don't have as much dedicated features compared to stompbox units.
5. can be a bit digital sounding but not all. Line6 stompbox modelers are fantastic.
6. Eggs in 1 basket. If it blows, all your sound is gone.
7. Switch memory params easily for next song without wasting much time tweaking. Easy dialing in for the song you want.
8. Easy to carry and setup overall.
9. does not hold resale value. Easily obsolete due to improvement in algorithm/cpu power.

single pedals.

1. expensive overall.
2. noise due to different power and cable between effects, and different brand of effects. Eats more power too compared totally to mfx.
3. easy to use.
4. More variety of combos of different brand of same type effect and ordering. More dedicated functions.
5. Mostly analog but there're digital units. Prone to multiple adc-dac wastage.
6. If one effect fails, can still use other chain, either take them out or go into bypass.
7. troublesome to dial in for next song.
8. Lugging around and setup is a pain.
9. Holds resale value well.

1. Multi-FXs are not overly cheaper than a good pedalboard
2. Noise because of cables and different brands of effects and Digital Multi-FX eat more power than stomboxes.
3. This is true in general, though some MFX are pretty simple and stomboxews are more comlicated.

The rest are good points though
I prefer multi-fx just because of ease of use and flexibility. If you want some chorus, phaser, envelope filter, you have it. You can completely change sounds by pressing one button. People say they want to have something they can adjust on the fly, a lot of multi-fx units do that these days and they have the same controls as the actual effect. I can also easily change the signal path which you can't do with standard pedals. I can have one setting with chorus in the front and delay in the loop and have another that has the chorus in the loop and the delay in the front. I like experimenting with different sounds and possibilities. If I had a pedalboard, it would be full of those boutique weird effects like the Death By Audio Robot or the WMD Geiger Counter which cost about $300 each and all they do is degrade your signal into noise. I can do that on my GT-10. You also have more control over your effects just because you can mix a bunch together. Mix that chorus with a hint of reverb, vibrato, and some parametric EQ and it may sound just like the Red Witch Empress. Good multi-fx give you infinite control over effects. It's really up to you to get something good out of it. That's what's so great about them and what sucks about them. That Red Witch Empress will sound great 10 times out of 10, but it could take months to get that dream chorus from a multi-fx.

A good pedalboard with a power supply solution is pretty expensive. And you have all those cables. The long chain can really affect your natural signal. But if you're just using 2 or 3 effects, I would probably go with individual pedals.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at May 26, 2010,
good argument jelifish, and i completely agree. I love being able to tweak effects quick
i put down the money for a GT10 based on that its more money efficient and BOSS build quality(crossing fingers!)

if i were to buy everything seperate, would of paid more...
tuner(tired of using my computer)
wah (sounds fun to try!)
distort(would of bought many till i found a sound i liked)
OD (would of bought many till i found a sound i liked)
comp
delay
reverb(i guess i could not buy)
noisegate (i would like to try this)
EQ pedal (definately need)

all of these are +/- $20-$50 from $100 so saved money buying a MFX.
I prefer individual pedals because I'm hell on my gear. The nice thing about pedals is when your chorus unit goes out, you can replace it, instead of the whole digital effects unit. When your footswitch goes, it's a $5.00 switch, and not a little mini contact plate that just might be a proprietary part rendering the whole thing useless. Most pedals don't have digital readouts that crack, and pedals usually have metal jacks, and stand up to spilled liquids better.

I used to use 2 multi-effects units back in my nu-metal years, and back then there was some nice luxury to not having as many noise problems (less cables, and built in noise gates), plus the low amount of cables made diagnosing problems easy. The problem with these though was that the pedals would have problems if someone spilled their beer or a cat peed on the pedals (yes, that really was a problem in some cases back then), and another problem was that if your memory battery wore out or you accidentally reset defailts and you did not write down your presets you were screwed, especially with the old boards like I had. A really good nice side was I had more effects for much less, and earlier units like the ME-6 and AX-30G had all kinds of cool spacey glitches and out-of-whack parameters that could be found from experimenting with the settings.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
My view is that multifx tend to sound very generic. They sorta lack that character that different brands and models of stompboxes tend to have.

For example, a MIJ Boss Chorus sounds rather unique and completely different from a MIT Boss Chorus... so unless your multiFX exactly models a MIJ Chorus you won't be able to get that sound.

On the other hand, if your favourite axe slinger uses a multiFX, it's pretty easy to get his tone.

Personally I just prefer stompboxes in general because they tend to be more intuitive and simpler to use.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
My view is that multifx tend to sound very generic. They sorta lack that character that different brands and models of stompboxes tend to have.

For example, a MIJ Boss Chorus sounds rather unique and completely different from a MIT Boss Chorus... so unless your multiFX exactly models a MIJ Chorus you won't be able to get that sound.

On the other hand, if your favourite axe slinger uses a multiFX, it's pretty easy to get his tone.

Personally I just prefer stompboxes in general because they tend to be more intuitive and simpler to use.

that's something im wondering about MFX vs stomp boxes. in a stomp box, it has a specific circuitry to get the job done. I figure, if you have a separate circuit for each effect in a MFX(or even ones that could integrate into others) then you wouldn't have the space/cost to make a affordable MFX. so its all computer modeled(digital) to get the tone that the manufacturer wanted. hopefully, that means they pick the ones that they believe are the best sounding(or maybe in a MFX situation, enough settings to tweak to get the sound exactly what a user wants)

also, i think if you wanted to color your sound a very specific way, you must use a stomp box since they are very unique. that much should be true.
Last edited by iampeter at May 28, 2010,
It's possible to get a unique tone from a high end MFX unit. A GT10 or an RP355 are good models
i've used both, and honestly, it's up to you in the end

if you are satisfied with a multi-effects, then keep it, it'll be cheaper. it's easier to accurately make patches with a mfx and you can save them as presets, which you can't do with pedals unless you go midi and spend a big chunk of money.
However, mfx has a different kind of tone. If you play in your bedroom and are satisfied, it's okay. If you play gigs and are satisfied, it's okay too.

Personally, I didn't like the sounds I got out of my line6 pod xt live. I liked the thing, but the sounds weren't alive, and the distortion presets were not my thing, even though i mostly play in clean and crunch. I also thought it was most of the time too trebly for me. So I made the leap, and I started getting pedals, knowing I needed every effect.
Right now, my pedalboard has 15 pedals on it, and I'm considering getting a 2nd one because I need more and there's no more room on this one.

In the end, my finished pedalboard will be worth around 3000 $. If you feel like you're ready to spend that much money, go with it; if you don't, well don't =)
Individual pedals, because I only use around 2 effects, and a muti-effects is going to be heavier than 2 (medium-sized) pedals and has 80-something effects that I will NEVER use.
imo the thing that i find it hard to get with a mfx is a signature tone like donnegans or Michael Angelo Batio
It's just up to you as a player.

No argument. Simple as.
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
My preference is, and always will be, individual boxes. Because no MFx can ever have a perfect thing for every effect you're using. Yeah a few things on there will be great, but other's can be a massive let down.

With a pedal you can research it play all the different brands and make sure you get bang on the sound you want with that effect. Pedals just feel more personal.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey