Hello everyone,

I've been playing guitar for only 1 year and am new to the UG community.

I'm wondering if any of you have any tips for keeping my finger tips from cracking / bleeding?

I'm thinking of coating them with superglue or using a bandaid. Any ideas?

ty all
cut off your fingertips and replace them with plastic.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Yikes!
Take a break from playing to let your fingers heal.
Then when you start playing again, don't play for as long/as hard as you did before.
It's not good to you play 'til your fingers bleed.
Play through the pain, eventually you won't be able to feel anything in your fingertips and you won't have any fingerprints
Well normally callouses should develop on your finger tips, and you shouldn't have a problem.
I would recommend soaking your fingertips in vinigar. When I first started playing that helped to toughen up my fingertips a little.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
You've been playing for a year and you still don't have calluses? However the hell you spell that.. Haha. Just give it a rest dude. I used to do that too, but my fingers got rough a couple of weeks in..
I played tilll my fingers bled once as well. Let them heal completely before playing again

Quote by ikitson
You played til your fingers bled, well done.

This
Quote by xaviergray
Asking the Pit to play this is kinda like asking the guy who makes suggestive gay jokes if he wants to have sex with a man.
I always hear people talking about this happening when they first start playing but it never happened to me.

amidoinitrong?
Use lighter gauge strings, and ditto...Well done.
Scarred for life!

Rig:
Gibson LPC
Jackson DK10D
Fender HM Strat
Custom built Tele-type
Alvarez 5040 Koa
Epiphone 12 string
Blue Voodoo 50
Dunlop 213 slide
Fender M-80 chorus
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience
I just ignored my fingers when they used to bleed

They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by ikitson
You played til your fingers bled, well done.

TS got his first real six string
He bought it from the five and dime
He played it till his fingers bled
It was the summer of 69
try nickel-free strings, it could just be an allergy (Bjorn Gelotte from In Flames used superglue coz his fingers would bleed, then he discovered he was alllergic to nickel)
Quote by damskippy
Use lighter gauge strings, and ditto...Well done.

ok so i want to use "Ernie Ball Super Slinky String Set (9 - 42)" as opposed to "Ernie Ball Regular Slinky String Set (10 - 46)"?
Quote by zalak
I like 8s. Screw 9s.
Use rubber bands instead of strings.
The difference in tone between them and 8s is negligible anyway.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by WeaponTHPS
ok so i want to use "Ernie Ball Super Slinky String Set (9 - 42)" as opposed to "Ernie Ball Regular Slinky String Set (10 - 46)"?

that would be correct, assuming you want the smaller strings.
SCHECTER Hellraiser-FR '08 White
SCHECTER Damien-6
VOX AD50VT-XL

Quote by nebiru
Nevermind.. I changed my mind.

Run at the bathroom door screaming like a velociraptor and ram into it fullspeed.

Quote by angusfan16
Well this is just a hole full of fuck.
Quote by zalak
I like 8s. Screw 9s.

How do you even get any tone with those puny things?
Quote by WeaponTHPS
Hello everyone,

I've been playing guitar for only 1 year and am new to the UG community.

I'm wondering if any of you have any tips for keeping my finger tips from cracking / bleeding?

I'm thinking of coating them with superglue or using a bandaid. Any ideas?

ty all

http://www.epinions.com/review/Finger_Ease_Guitar_String_Lubricant/content_439335816836

It works, it also cleans your strings.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
i had the same problem. can't remembe How i solved it. all i can say is you guys need to man up and use eleven or twelve sized strings
Quote by CaptDin
I always hear people talking about this happening when they first start playing but it never happened to me.

amidoinitrong?

This...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by CaptDin

amidoinitrong?

It never happened to me either. Maybe we're just the only ones doing it right.
Quote by ai4281
maybe you're not cut out to play guitar. try piano. lol

hehe nah i've been playing piano for 12 years... guitar is much more gratifying.
Quote by ai4281
maybe you're not cut out to play guitar. try piano. lol

Dick move, a lot guitarists that have Diabetes have a similar problem. BB King, is one for example.
Tony I. from Sabbath has a similar problems where he has two fingers cut in half.
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Last edited by Blackwaterson89 at May 24, 2010,
lol i use 13's on my guitar, and im going to get an even heavier custom gauge of .14's setup: iwith a gauge that heavey i can tune to drop G and itll still be playable. if you have a really heavy gauge, you will never have difficulty playing someone elses guitar. if you only use 9's, and you wanna play a friends who has 13's on it youll struggle lol
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by zalak
I like 8s. Screw 9s.
11's is definetly the way to go.
Quote by stoo666
try nickel-free strings, it could just be an allergy (Bjorn Gelotte from In Flames used superglue coz his fingers would bleed, then he discovered he was alllergic to nickel)
Yeah I usually just use coated Ernie Ball's or Elixirs because I'm allergic to nickel too (thus the large rash on my wrist from my nickel bridge). I like my MH though and can't be arsed to switch out the bridge.
Quote by __Pent__
It never happened to me either. Maybe we're just the only ones doing it right.
Join the club, I never got bleeding fingers either. Maybe that's because I played for over a year on Gibson 9's before getting my Jackson and koving up to 11's.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at May 24, 2010,
Quote by Blackwaterson89
Dick move, a lot guitarists that have Diabetes have a similar problem. BB King, is one for example.
Tony I. from Sabbath has a similar problems where he has two fingers cut in half.

lol I was actually being serious. I wasn't trying to be a dick.

I think the best thing to do is just persevere and try to play the best you can.

I have a hereditary skin disease, that I get from my dad's side, and one of the symptoms is that my fingertip skin peels off very easily because of hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating) on hands and feet. When I was younger, I couldn't even play piano because my finger tips would be so sensitive without the normal layer of skin everyone has. Yeah, they bled too.

And then when I started bass at age 13, I just kept playing and playing through the pain, and eventually I developed the thickest callouses ever.

I know better than anybody what it feels like to have that kind of fingers. All you can do is just keep playing.
Last edited by ai4281 at May 24, 2010,
Do pushups on your finger tips.
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.