Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, new guitar day for me as well!

Pictures:

A near mint '99 Ibanez RG550! In the best possible color combination imaginable!

I only have photo's that the previous owner made right now (Danny, if you're on here, nice socks!), but I'll get more soon and with better lighting.

First thoughts: It's amazing. The neck is, as you would expect, really thin and smooth. It feels a bit better than the one on my 2570, the finish on it is a bit different, and the frets seem to be a bit lower, although this can easily be regular wear.
The sound is simply amazing. It has an Airzone in the neck position and a Tonezone in the bridge position. It sounds a lot more defined than, again, my 2570 (which still needs new pickups) and has a nice low end on it. The single coil in the middle is stock, but it sounds good; I don't use it on it's own that often anyway.
Of course, it has an original Edge bridge, which means it's rock solid and has a lot of sustain. How this compares with the Edge Pro I don't know yet as I've only played it for a little while. Just one tune up when I got home, but that's due to the fact that it had been it's case which was riding in the back of my hot car for over an hour.
As I said, it's in near mint condition. There are two noticeable dings on it; one next to the jack (which shows a bit of wood) and one smaller on where only the paint has cracked on the other side of the jack.

All in all, an amazing guitar. I know it's a love or hate thing, with the colors, but I think it makes a nice contrast with my 2570. Couldn't have wished for a better deal!
Last edited by Y00p at May 26, 2010,
Yeah, sorry about the missing pictures, all are up now!
Thats gorgeous mate,

HNGD

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Crazy coloured RG= The best kind of RG.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Wow I normally don't get jealous of NGD threads but I'm gonna have to make an exception for this one Best color combination imaginable is right!

Did it actually come stock with that color combo?
Quote by van01010100
Wow I normally don't get jealous of NGD threads but I'm gonna have to make an exception for this one Best color combination imaginable is right!

Did it actually come stock with that color combo?

Yep, although I'm thinking the pickups out of the factory are just black Ibanez V8's. I'm relatively sure the pickguard is this color on the '99 models, but not completely. I know you don't see this color often though.
Last edited by Y00p at May 24, 2010,
is the 6 on the headstock a reminder that it's just a 6 string?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
My black '89 550 keeps asking when I'll get it a nice DY 550 to play with. I'm jealous, HNGD!
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by randomhero93
is the 6 on the headstock a reminder that it's just a 6 string?

Funny thing, I asked one of the previous owners about that; he didn't know either. I guess it's just a fun thing, or maybe some guy once had a lot of guitars and gave them numbers instead of names. I'll just leave it on there.

It's strung with nines now, and I usually have tens... I think I might leave them on there for a while, it's a different feeling, but not all together bad or annoying.

About the good find, it's a funny story. I saw it up for sale and contacted the seller, who was already haggling with some guy, and eventually traded the guitar with him. The buyer's left handed and wanted to turn the guitar around, basically. Luckily, before doing anything harsh to the thing, he decided he didn't want it after all and contacted me. I went from to in three days.
Last edited by Y00p at May 24, 2010,
Holy mother of god, never thought a guitar would look absolutely stunning with a paint job like that......

ninja edit:

HNGD dude, Prestiges are awesome
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
Quote by darkravers009
HNGD dude, Prestiges are awesome
*cough* it isn't, technically, a Prestige.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Oh my god... this guitar is ****ing beautiful.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Quote by ch0
*cough* it isn't, technically, a Prestige.

You're right, but although it doesn't say 'Prestige' on the headstock, it's made in Japan and plays and sounds at least equal and quite possibly even better than most Prestiges I've played (which range from the 1570's to seven string prestiges and my own 2570), and I've handled a few.

The case that came with it that says 'Prestige' isn't originally for this guitar I think, but it doesn't matter as it fits perfectly, and of course it's sturdy as hell.
HNGD!!!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by ChucklesMginty

This times ten to the googolplex. HNGD!!
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Y00p
You're right, but although it doesn't say 'Prestige' on the headstock, it's made in Japan and plays and sounds at least equal and quite possibly even better than most Prestiges I've played (which range from the 1570's to seven string prestiges and my own 2570), and I've handled a few.

The case that came with it that says 'Prestige' isn't originally for this guitar I think, but it doesn't matter as it fits perfectly, and of course it's sturdy as hell.
I've sampled dozens of Prestige/J.Custom/PGM/JEM guitars. I haven't liked any as much as my 550.

That being said, my 550 still isn't a Prestige - no matter what case I put it in.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Am I the only one who can't see the pics? And before someone says it, I tried quoting the post and copying the URLs. All I get is "Sever not found."
DY 550s are so sexy, HNGD.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by ch0
I've sampled dozens of Prestige/J.Custom/PGM/JEM guitars. I haven't liked any as much as my 550.

That being said, my 550 still isn't a Prestige - no matter what case I put it in.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. The part about the case wasn't me saying 'It's a Prestige!', but an explanation as to why it's in a Prestige case, because people might have been confused by that.

Quote by KP Williams
Am I the only one who can't see the pics? And before someone says it, I tried quoting the post and copying the URLs. All I get is "Sever not found."
You seem to be... they're working fine on my PC and laptop.

Quote by Ippon
Delicious color! Congrats!

The next will have the correct number of strings, yea?

Sssshh, somewhere along the line of time I'll have a seven string probably, right now I have my LTD sitting in A# for all the lows I want and need.

Thanks for the reminder though.

Quote by archenemyfan
hey how much did you pay for it?

the colour is stunning..

I got the guitar for 500€ and I traded a universal case for the Prestige case.
Quote by Y00p
I got the guitar for 500€ and I traded a universal case for the Prestige case.

That's an INSANE deal if you ask me
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Quote by Gego
That's an INSANE deal if you ask me

Yep!
I was, and still am, a happy camper.

I've been playing the thing virtually non-stop since I got it, it's absolutely amazing.
Sweet as a nut mate. Ridiculous coloured Ibanez's are the way forward!
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Page 1 of 2