Hello, I've recently downloaded some music files (specifically, Leonard Bernstein's 1st three symphonies and his Chichester Psalms) through what may or may not be illegal means. Since you can't link to torrent files, I can't show you the exact thing. But my problem is not with getting the files, it is that the individual symphonies aren't seperated into tracks, but rather the entire CD is encased in an .ape file accompanied by a .cue & a .log file. I've seen this with some other CD torrents.

My question is, is there a way to extract the individual tracks from these files automatically? Or will I have to import the whole thing into something like Audacity and cut the file up manually?
You can do it in itunes. Just create n copies (for n sections) then set the start and end times accordingly.

Depending on the recording and who/when it was done it may be legal.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
you need to download iBanana
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Quote by doive
You can do it in itunes. Just create n copies (for n sections) then set the start and end times accordingly.

Depending on the recording and who/when it was done it may be legal.

It's a Deutsche Grammophon recording with Bernstein conducting. Pretty sure its illegal, but I'm also fairly certain the legal copy is incredibly hard to find, I rarely download illegally, unless its just ridiculous to find.

Quote by frozen_soul
you need to download iBanana

what does it do?
http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/05/13/how-to-convert-ape-files-to-mp3-using-windows/

Try that. A lot of classical music that are uploaded on torrents are lossless and in ape or cue format, so it's good to have a good software for it.

Good choice, by the way.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at May 24, 2010,
Quote by nmitchell076
It's a Deutsche Grammophon recording with Bernstein conducting. Pretty sure its illegal, but I'm also fairly certain the legal copy is incredibly hard to find, I rarely download illegally, unless its just ridiculous to find.

what does it do?

twas a joke. .ape file, iBanana.... ill leave now
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Quote by kalnoky7
I have the same problem but I have some in cue/flac

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/322247/converting-flac-cue-to-high-bit-rate-mp3

The adagio movement in your sig is my favorite.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by frozen_soul
twas a joke. .ape file, iBanana.... ill leave now

Now that you've explained, that was pretty good haha. Had I not been sick, I would have gotten it.

Quote by Xiaoxi
http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/05/13/how-to-convert-ape-files-to-mp3-using-windows/

Try that. A lot of classical music that are uploaded on torrents are lossless and in ape or cue format, so it's good to have a good software for it.

Good choice, by the way.

I have a mac, and use xACT, which seems to do the same thing, when I use it however, it does not split the file into separate tracks, but rather the converted file is still the entire CD batched into one file. Will the program you suggested split these? (and if so, does it also work on a mac?)

EDIT: it seems that MAX, which was suggested in the other link you posted, might do what I need, lets see if it works.

And yea, I love Bernstein. After a long obsession with Gershwin (I'm working on his piano concerto at the moment, actually), I've been dying to eat up as much "Americana" classical music as possible.
Last edited by nmitchell076 at May 24, 2010,