Need a new cheap amp head good for gigging... I have 2 choices

The Peavey Vypyr 120W tube head
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-VYPYR-Tube-120H-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=582107
This one is a modeling amp, it models allot of marshalls like the plexi head which iv always wanted

The other one is the Peavey Valve king 100 tube head
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-100-Head?sku=481170
I tried it at the music store and it was pretty badass but it seems like its more for metal then anything else (you tell me)

My band plays everything from punk rock to Blues.... I really like Green Day so if any of these will work that will be great, i know the lead singer of green day uses a marshall plexi and the VYPYR models a plexi head.. plus i want an ACDC sound and i want to be able to go into clean without having the nasty sounds i get from my line 6 spider 3
Green day.. Rammstein... I have weird musical taste
Oh ya and why i picked peavey?? i have no idea?? Any suggestions for other amp heads?
I have a cab that needs a head!!
1) What cab is it? (type, manufacturer, speakers, link if possible)

2) How much cash do you have?

3) Where are you located?

4) That the Vypyr models a Plexi really doesn't mean much. Valvekings are a bit... well, they don't sound all that exciting. You won't really need such high wattage amps for gigging - tube amps are loud and you'll have them mic'd at big shows anyway. 15-50w is more then enough when talking about tube amps.
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 24, 2010,
Fender Stan. Stratocaster HSS 60th Anniversary
Squier Deluxe V-String Jazz Bass (active p-ups)
Peavey Valveking 112
Zoom G2.1u
...and my fingers

.: Music Heals :.
But seriously.. if you want to play blues/rock stuff I would recommend you Valveking. It's very versatile. Vypyr is just beginners amp..
Peavey Valveking 112
Zoom G2.1u
...and my fingers

budgets around $600
Valvekings are barely over beginner's level as well. They're just bigger and tube, but that doesn't automatically make them pro equipment.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Modelling =/= beginners.

And the VK actually is very aimed a metal players, TS can find something much more suited to his styles. If he answers some of the questions given...

No, I disagree. You can pull some really crunchy-punchy blues-rock sound out of it. I own this amp. It's pretty good..

EDIT: I didn't say they're pro..
Peavey Valveking 112
Zoom G2.1u
...and my fingers

Last edited by Yoorai at May 24, 2010,
^They're not even decent to be honest. For just a little more cash, far better stuff is available.

Quote by jay3213
budgets around $600

Cool. That money gets you a Peavey Classic 30 if you want a new amp:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=classic+30

It's also available as a head for 50 less.

It's a great all around rock amp. Will do AC/DC and Green Day as well as similar stuff very well. Put a booster in front of it and you can go really heavy. It's easily loud enough for band use.

Again, what cab are you using?
Last edited by TheQuailman at May 24, 2010,
Hm, Peavey Classic 30 is good choice thou. Add some distortion pedal to it and you may rock like hell..
Peavey Valveking 112
Zoom G2.1u
...and my fingers

Im gonna buy a new cab after this head cuz the marshall MA that i have sucks balls lol
no offence to anyone