My neighbor asked me if I would teach her son guitar for about an hour each week (with pay). I've been playing for about five years so I think I could manage teaching a beginner. I'm going over around 8 and I figured I should write some notes on what to work on. If anyone has some advice as to what I should focus on for the first day? The student is about 11 or 12 so I'd like to keep it simple for a while. Thanks in advance.

▲ ▲
▲ ▲ ▲
▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
Getting acquianted with the guitar as a whole and really simple open chords, don't even worry about how it sounds, just make sure that their hands are in the right position and they're forming the chords well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
how to tune his/her guitar
and
the A B an E chords.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
since you're not a professional teacher I would suggest using a recognized guitar course as a guide to keep things in line. You can buy book 1 and start there, I'd buy two copies one for the student to take home to work on the other for you to go over in preparation fo reach lesson so you don't get caught by surprise. After some progress you'll then be able paas on a little of what you've learned as well but by then studen will have apoint of refrence built up.
Moving on.....
I'm no teacher but obviously the very basics. How to tune the guitar, how to hold a pick, how to make the right motion and what's a good posture. HOWEVER, all that might seem a bit boring to him (as he's young), so you might want to motivate him with some fun exercise such as a very simple song (I don't know the English word but you know the songs children sing, very very simple ones).
Find out what he likes. Nothing will make him stop faster than having to play nursery rhymes or something.
Quote by KenG
since you're not a professional teacher I would suggest using a recognized guitar course as a guide to keep things in line. You can buy book 1 and start there, I'd buy two copies one for the student to take home to work on the other for you to go over in preparation fo reach lesson so you don't get caught by surprise. After some progress you'll then be able paas on a little of what you've learned as well but by then studen will have apoint of refrence built up.

+1

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
If he has no experience with guitar whatsoever, start with something piss easy that sounds pretty good. I'd think that would keep him motivated to keep playing.
Thanks for all the input. I noticed when I met him that he likes AC\DC (just like most of us did back then) and since they have some easy tunes I could maybe teach him TNT or something like that.

▲ ▲
▲ ▲ ▲
▲ ▲ ▲ ▲