so a friend of mine has 2 pet rats that escaped in her apartment.

Any suggestions on how to catch them? I'm going over there in a bit to help, all the stores are closed, so no mouse traps of any kind, and they're not tame, they WILL bite.

Ideas?

EDIT: ninja-guy and momentosis get off with a warning, I'm not speaking to the next funny-man for a month.

EDIT: and I'm just kidding about that ^, but serious answer are appreciated.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at May 24, 2010,
Tame them.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
This happened to me alot. Get some food, and sit perfectly still for a very long time and grab them when they come to investigate. Kinda simple.

If they'll bite use rubber gloves or MAN THE **** UP.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at May 24, 2010,
lure them with nachos (actually is a good idea)
but do it classic
cage + cheese
Quote by palefire
Should point out that Doctor Rock has a point, by the way - we do have some of the biggest nutters (usually in a funny way) in the country.

Londons Burning!
dahdahdahdahdah!
Quote by TheBurningFish
This happened to me alot. Get some food, and sit perfectly still for a very long time and grab them when they come to investigate. Kinda simple.

If they'll bit euse rubber gloves or MAN THE **** UP.

! gloves!

of course!

good god am I stupid I didn't even think of that.

Lighten up lol

Get some of these, they are cheap cheap cheap, bit of food in the end, leave them over night...

repeat until you get them both.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

Lighten up lol

Get some of these, they are cheap cheap cheap, bit of food in the end, leave them over night...

repeat until you get them both.

I wasn't serious, lol

They're not MY rats.
Quote by CoreysMonster
! gloves!

of course!

good god am I stupid I didn't even think of that.

Rat catching is a science, bro.

Go over 9000,
"Music became a healer for me. And I learned to listen with all my being. I found that it could wipe away all the emotions of fear and confusion relating to my family." Eric Clapton
Find the room they are currently in, go in and close the door. Before going in, make sure you have a bucket or something similar. Put some food in the bucket or don't, depends on if you want them to survive. Corner them as well as you can, throw the bucket/box on them, weigh the container down. Done. Again, if you want them to live, a hole in the container would be beneficial. Leave them there until you can call animal control or something, you'll be fine.
Try luring with food and wear gloves. Also dim the lights.

Edit: I'll restore this:
Quote by Snowblind 911

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...
Last edited by CheezMeUp at May 24, 2010,
Do you even have a general idea where they are?

Leave out some carrots or something, then wait. And watch. Pet rats love carrots (at least the ones I live with do).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Just play the flute seductively.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by CoreysMonster
I wasn't serious, lol

They're not MY rats.

I wasn't...

Seriously get some humane traps, easier than trying to lure them out and catch them by hand.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by SteveHouse
Do you even have a general idea where they are?

Leave out some carrots or something, then wait. And watch. Pet rats love carrots (at least the ones I live with do).

apparently they're hiding behind some clothes under a bed.
Quote by Tom 1.0

Seriously get some humane traps, easier than trying to lure them out and catch them by hand.

that's the problem, I can't, all the stores are closed right now, and this girl is terrified of her own rats, and I have no experience with rodents at all.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Block off the entire area under the bed so nothing gets in or out.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Oh. Well that's simple.

1. Surround the bed with stuff they can't crawl over.
2. Move the clothes.
3. Using something like books, and something to push the books with (broom?), force the rats to go a given direction.
4. Great Success.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

add to their food swarf (iron thingy) and then pull them with magnets.
Quote by supralightning
send your gf over to my place and ill give her a birthday present

Gear:
Fender Squier
SP-10 (i almost don't use it)
Boss DS-1
Boss RC-2 (very useful)
Boss GT-10 (hell yeah)
Good Headphones
Gameboy color

Lastfm
Quote by CoreysMonster
that's the problem, I can't, all the stores are closed right now, and this girl is terrified of her own rats, and I have no experience with rodents at all.

I never get why girls get pets they are scared off lol

Well get some good gloves, long sleeve coat, a box you can throw and just get stuck in.

Keep the door closed so they cant leave and prepare for war?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I never get why girls get pets they are scared off lol

Well get some good gloves, long sleeve coat, a box you can throw and just get stuck in.

Keep the door closed so they cant leave and prepare for war?

yeah, I'm gonna do this.

I have a nice thick pair of skiing gloves, I'll use them to ward off the rodenty malice.

thanks, guys.
Quote by CoreysMonster
so a friend of mine has 2 pet rats that escaped in her apartment.

Any suggestions on how to catch them? I'm going over there in a bit to help, all the stores are closed, so no mouse traps of any kind, and they're not tame, they WILL bite.

Ideas?

EDIT: ninja-guy and momentosis get off with a warning, I'm not speaking to the next funny-man for a month.

I used to catch live rats all the time in the factory that I used to work in.
First, get a large dustbin and put about 6 inches of water in the bottom, place it next to a table of a worktop with a piece of thin cardboard hanging over the side of it, like a diving board (I used to nail the cardboard to my workbench but it would work as well with something weighing it down) then place food on the edge of the cardboard overhanging the bin. This is a bit of a balancing act because the cardboard bends, this means getting the weight of the food just right so that it just balances without falling in.
Leave it in a room with the lights out, the rat comes along, climbs out onto the cardboard to get the food, which cannot take it's weight and bends, dumping the rat into the water, which stops it jumping back out again.

Honestly, it really works.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
First, get a large dustbin and put about 6 inches of water in the bottom, place it next to a table of a worktop with a piece of thin cardboard hanging over the side of it, like a diving board (I used to nail the cardboard to my workbench but it would work as well with something weighing it down) then place food on the edge of the cardboard overhanging the bin. This is a bit of a balancing act because the cardboard bends, this means getting the weight of the food just right so that it just balances without falling in.
Leave it in a room with the lights out, the rat comes along, climbs out onto the cardboard to get the food, which cannot take it's weight and bends, dumping the rat into the water, which stops it jumping back out again.

wait, no, I'm doing this instead

EPIC idea, mate, thanks a billion!!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
*brilliance*

That's really clever. 6in may be a bit much depending on the size of the rat though.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
6in may be a bit much depending on the size of the rat though.

Context just needs to be thrown right out sometimes.

Quote by SteveHouse
That's really clever. 6in may be a bit much depending on the size of the rat though.

Well it can't be 'too' deep really. The water really just needs to be deep enough to stop the rat touching the bottom of the bin, so that the rat is 'out of it's depth'.
Don't worry about the rat drowning though, I used to set this trap every night, and the next morning I almost always had a rat swimming around in the bin, and not once did one drown because rats can actualy swim for many hours.

An alternative would be to line the bottom of the bin with glue.
so apparently, rats can easily be chased back into their cage by hunting them with deodorant

one rat's down, one to go.
I might not even have to drive over there.
Quote by CoreysMonster
so apparently, rats can easily be chased back into their cage by hunting them with deodorant

Might have to remember that one.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by CoreysMonster

one rat's down, one to go.
I might not even have to drive over there.

Sounds like a cat/snake, I suppose

Quote by TheBurningFish
Sounds like a cat/snake, I suppose

yeah, and in combination with this joke

Quote by TheBurningFish
Context just needs to be thrown right out sometimes.

smells like a horny human

EDIT: whoops accidentally douple posted:

Alright, so the second rat is presumed dead by electrecution due to a strange smell of burning in the room and a lamp suddenly no longer working.

I am no longer needed, though this thread has taught me various ways to catch rodents should the need ever rise again. Thanks alot to all of you.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at May 24, 2010,