About a week ago I picked up a Schecter Damien-6 FR. I love the matte black finish but this guitar is HEAVY.

I was skeptical at first going with the Licensed FR and my skepticism was right, I may have gotten a dud but this thing won't stay tuned for anything. I had it professionally setup twice in the week.

Time for something new. After exchanging I will have $429 store credit so I would like to stay around that price if possible. I don't know why the FR just stands out to me with everything I look at. Would I be that much better off with a hardtail? I just started playing and am looking to get into playing some classic rock and blues mainly.

I've been looking at quite a few ESPs, I really like the look and I keep hearing great things about their PUPs. Would I be better off going with active PUPs?

So really I'm trying to decide on whether or not to go with a OFR or hardtail and active or passive PUPs.

Looking at these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Hellraiser-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar-104989173-i1443064.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Nightfall-Electric-Guitar-105939011-i1515776.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-KH-202-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Electric-Guitar-105316459-i1399248.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-H-351FR-Electric-Guitar-584490-i1503618.gc

Anything else you guys could suggest?
My Gear-
2010 Ibanez S570DXQM 24-fretter
MIM Fender Standard Strat HSS Sierra Sunburst

Line 6 Spider IV 15w
go lift weights; problem solved
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
It's more than just the weight, the neck is uncomfortably wide for my small hands blah blah blah
My Gear-

Line 6 Spider IV 15w
If you're going for classic rock and blues than you probably won't want actives. FR's are pretty sweet though. You could probably find a jackson or something like that in that price range that will do the trick

EDIT: that epiphone looks pretty good. just go to GC and try out a bunch of guitars and find out what you like
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Last edited by soulsablaze at May 24, 2010,
My Hellraiser weighs a ton more than my friends Damien, but anyway you should just stick with a hard tail and forgo a floyd rose until you know how to use it. Normally I'd tell you to stick with Schecter all day long, but they are known for having larger necks than other brands (one reason why I love them) so if you aren't comfortable with the neck size look elsewhere.
i'd say the hellraiser. its on some nice discount, and has emgs
and a fixed bridge is good.

but really, wouldn't you prefer something like an epi explorer or something? a 58' korina could be up ur street, even though it has a bit of a wide neck.
otherwise, look into a fender MIM or something like that i'd say.

and don't be afraid to buy used.
Quote by soulsablaze
If you're going for classic rock and blues than you probably won't want actives. FR's are pretty sweet though. You could probably find a jackson or something like that in that price range that will do the trick

EDIT: that epiphone looks pretty good. just go to GC and try out a bunch of guitars and find out what you like
Thanks for the help....I'm leaving for GC in a little bit to try out a few more guitars.

I'm really liking the look of the ESP LTD MH-103, surprised that it's so cheap.
My Gear-

Line 6 Spider IV 15w
Quote by Glenn Guitar

but really, wouldn't you prefer something like an epi explorer or something? a 58' korina could be up ur street, even though it has a bit of a wide neck.

I'm not afraid to buy used at all. I'm all about instant gratification.

TBH I really don't like many Epis or Fenders, but I will take a look around.

Kinda diggin' this Jackson MG Dinky.
My Gear-

Line 6 Spider IV 15w
Last edited by illadelph41 at May 24, 2010,
Quote by Thoth_Amon
My Hellraiser weighs a ton more than my friends Damien

That is crazy that it weighs more. My Hellraiser weighs significantly less than my Les Paul standard and my G&L Rampage. I have fairly small hands and I never had a problem with the neck on the Hellraiser so I would suggest one of those. Plus the 81TW/89 EMG's are a nice addition tone wise.
I suprised to read that you don't like the Fender strats. It has a classic body style that I consider timeless. In your price range with your credit you could easily negotiate yourself into a MIM Stratocaster.

A lot of people bash the MIM stuff, but I have a MIM Telecaster and would take the Pepsi challenge with it and my MIA Strat almost any day of the week as far as craftmanship. The frets are perfect and body construction is flawless. It is an incredible instrument that changed the way I look at MIM products.

For that blues type tone and classic rock approach, you really cannot go wrong with a strat. Plus, if you get into adding mods or customizing, strats afford you a limitless range of possibilities to play around with.

I bought a blemished ESP LTD with an FR and had it set up to correct some problems. A bunch of people told me ahead of time that I am not an FR person but I didn't believe them until I had one... I am not an FR person. The cons really outweigh the pros for me personally.

Good luck with your choice and exchange.
Picked up a beautiful white ESP LTD KH-202 with the FRSpecial.....Really diggin this guitar. The action is so perfect and the neck so fast and smooth. It's really incredible.

Probably weighs a good 40% less than the Damien and the "skull" inlays are very cool.

Very quickly I find the PUPs to be much brighter, much more versatile.
My Gear-

Line 6 Spider IV 15w
Quote by MisterStrike
That is crazy that it weighs more. My Hellraiser weighs significantly less than my Les Paul standard and my G&L Rampage. I have fairly small hands and I never had a problem with the neck on the Hellraiser so I would suggest one of those. Plus the 81TW/89 EMG's are a nice addition tone wise.

Not really. Damiens are probably made out of Nato or some lighter form of mahogany, while the Hellraisers are made of a better quality mahogany.

TS, I think the KH-202 is made of basswood, which is a brighter wood and much lighter than mahogany.

Also, you might have some problems with the FR in the long term. The FR Specials aren't that great. Lower quality than most LFR's.

OMG FACTS.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at May 24, 2010,
Quote by Glenn Guitar

gibsons are heavy as ****, my reccamendation is to get a padded strap, thats wat i did with my les paul, and it makes my ibanez feel painfull on my shoulder, and thats like half the weight of the les paul
Eh.
Never get the hellriser the neck is seriously ducked. If you are not used to Damien, hellriser will be much more he'll for you.
Quote by illadelph41

I was skeptical at first going with the Licensed FR and my skepticism was right, I may have gotten a dud but this thing won't stay tuned for anything. I had it professionally setup twice in the week.

Saying this from all my experience with FR's: I really, really don't think the FR is at fault. I don't trust "professional setups" whatsoever, and I don't think that any serious guitarist should either. I've had my guitars screwed up enough times by other people to make me abandon that thought.

I do all work on my guitars myself, and I have no problems with my FR's. I have an LTD LFR, and an Ibanez Lo TRS II - so it's most likely not that fact that it's an "LFR".

Just saying.

But if you don't like the guitar itself, then just try every model that catches your eye, and see which ones you like the feel of.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
been said before but blues and active pickups are not really right if you ask me. neigther for classic rock, i think active are really for the more higher gains types of music.
Yea I wouldn't recommend going active for you. Personally I have no faith in LFRS. If you are going cheap (and really want a floating bridge aka LFR) than I hear Ibanez is the way to go. I do hear great things about the ZR.

Personally, I just copped a for $399 and I really like it. Seems like a steal for 399. Not crazy about the stock pickups but they certainly aren't unusable. I swapped out mine for something more suitable.

Just my 2 cents
~Dave
Guitars
Carvin DC145 w/ OFR
Ibanez RGEX1 w/ Tone Zone & Paf Pro
Last edited by -Dzo- at May 25, 2010,
I'm really starting to think about throwing my aesthetic reservations aside and going for a nice used MIM or MIA Strat.

Has to say something that it's the choice for ole Slowhands.
My Gear-

Line 6 Spider IV 15w
^^ Oo always a good choice my friend. Second hand MIA is the way to go if you are inclined towards strats Great guitars

~Dave
Guitars
Carvin DC145 w/ OFR
Ibanez RGEX1 w/ Tone Zone & Paf Pro