Im getting an AHB-3 soon for my bridge. I play metal. Its the best pickup for what i need.

However, I am having a hard time deciding on the best neck pickup to go with it.

Im looking for something very warm, but yet still bright enough, with a little mids.
I usually play string picking acoustics, but more importantly when its time for leads I want the warmest sound i can get, Most pronounced arpeggios and clean fast scales.

I have it narrowed down slightly..

Naturally one would think get the AHB-3 for the neck.

I personally liked the sound of the EMG 60 for the neck.

But also there are the 81 or 85 EMG, and Duncan AHB-1 or 2 which I am unable to hear at the moment.

The 81/85, AHB-1/2 do not have sound clips on the website for the neck. I will be checking you tube later tonight to try and find some samples. but if that doesnt work Im going to need some help.

What do you guys think and why????? Please give your feedback. Thanks
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at May 24, 2010,
Why do you insist on active pickups?
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
I have all of the neck pickups you've mentioned in one guitar or another...AHB-1 or EMG 60 gets my vote.
Quote by Leeav
Why do you insist on active pickups?

Well i am using one for the bridge, dont wanna mess with crazy wiring schematics, so need one for the neck as well.

Or you could say they crush balls and will piss on your passives...
Quote by eyebanez333
I have all of the neck pickups you've mentioned in one guitar or another...AHB-1 or EMG 60 gets my vote.

Ok thank you..And why do you suggest those?

What are the differences in tone between the 60 and AHB-1??? I heard the 60, but unable to hear AHB-1 in the neck.
Quote by maddnotez
Ok thank you..And why do you suggest those?

What are the differences in tone between the 60 and AHB-1??? I heard the 60, but unable to hear AHB-1 in the neck.

AHB-1 is much more clear and defined. It has a similar attack to an EMG 60 that is running off 18volts. My EMG sets are all running 18v...but I still prefer the blackouts in both positions for most cases. Plus they're cheaper.
Thanks eye, I got the S-5470, all mahogany, going to sound nice!!...I cant wait..Im thinking AHB-1 as well, just wish i could hear it..
The 60 is a great neck pick up,

I love mine, can go from really glassy to thick and warm if you EQ things properly.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
which one will bring out the arpeggios best?
Quote by maddnotez
Im getting an AHB-3 soon for my bridge. I play metal. Its the best pickup for what i need.

I beg to differ.

Either way, the EMG 60 is my favorite active neck pickup.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I beg to differ.

Either way, the EMG 60 is my favorite active neck pickup.

care to elaborate?????

I have all Mahogany Body, Have tried several different pickups, I have a jackson with Adler body, and the old Livewire HMET, best tone imaginable.

So switching to mahogany, bassier, go with the AHB-3 for a brighter sound, opposed to AHB-2.

Im curious to what you think will get me a better tone????
Quote by maddnotez
Well i am using one for the bridge, dont wanna mess with crazy wiring schematics, so need one for the neck as well.

Or you could say they crush balls and will piss on your passives...

hahahahahahaha. the wrongness of your last statement made my laff 4 realz.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
hahahahahahaha. the wrongness of your last statement made my laff 4 realz.

Ok well this was for help with a neck pickup, but I have it situated now so we can argue if youd like.. Im not sure what kind of music you are into, but I stated I play metal..Not that cheesy stuff that you think is metal either...

Can you seriously name a passive pickup that can compete?????

Even the P-90 are weak, they may be loud..But the crushing tone is unmatched.

These pickups are designed for metal in mind. There is really no question. The have more output and gain. Its just not logical to think you can find a passive to match.

Oh and Matrix, I listened to your links and your tone is weak just as I thought

My rig will peirce your heart and make your ears bleed.

But I still want the ENGL
bare knuckle warpigs
rock monkey beefbucker/son of a beefbucker
wb ultraviolent 20s
motor city nuke

just off the top of my head.
Quote by maddnotez

What about p-90s? Who said anything about those? A good high output passive humbucker will sound more natural and less sharp and lifeless like most actives. Just because you play metal dosen't mean you have to use actives...
Gear:

MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Quote by maddnotez
Oh and Matrix, I listened to your links and your tone is weak just as I thought

My rig will peirce your heart and make your ears bleed.

But I still want the ENGL

That's nice. Maybe it's because they were all recorded like shit...

I've owned a 6505+ before, sorry to disappoint, but it does not pierce my heart and make my ears bleed.

Where are your clips?

Quote by maddnotez
Can you seriously name a passive pickup that can compete?????

These pickups are designed for metal in mind. There is really no question. The have more output and gain. Its just not logical to think you can find a passive to match.

First of all a P-90 is a single coil pickup, so I'm not even sure why you even brought that up, of course it doesn't sound as "br00tal" as a humbucker...

Second of all, active outputs do not have more output and gain and if you honestly think that you can't find a passive pickup that can match them, then you have your head up your ass.

Seymour Duncan El Diablo, DiMarzio X2N, Motor City Nuke, Bareknuckle Painkiller and Warpig, etc. all far superior pickups to any Active I've ever played.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
You should seriously open your mind and look into passives. Many, many passives are much better than all the actives they have today.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
I use an EMG S in the neck but the split coil (TW?) might be good. I think it's pretty br00tl in the humbucker mode, then you have a nice versatile pup for cleans too.
Last edited by Tempoe at May 24, 2010,
not to mention strat single coil?
bare knuckle the sinner...23k output true single coil
mini humbucker for a p90 slot?
rio grande baby teenybucker 20k bridge position output
p90?
zhangbucker will wind you a 15k p90.
emg 60/89
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
Actually... on second thought... the only way to get a good metal tone is two active EMG's (85 and 81)... a BC Rich... and a Marshall MG halfstack... it will give you the crushing tone that P90's can't deliver.

But really now... You can use your bridge for those high gain riffs... but for added versitatility and a variety of different tones... I would choose a passive for the neck.
Gear:

MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Last edited by Leeav at May 24, 2010,
mm, quite the passive/active discussion going on here...i like it!

i'll side with the folk saying its worth considering a passive in the neck. and to be honest, i prefer passives in every scenario.
but if you're playing grindcore, knock yourself out with the old actives+6505 combo. i wouldnt worry about the body wood too much though
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
I prefer good passives, but if the bridge must be active, go active neck too, it'd be a major pain to mix passive and active
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
Quote by MatrixClaw
That's nice. Maybe it's because they were all recorded like shit...

I've owned a 6505+ before, sorry to disappoint, but it does not pierce my heart and make my ears bleed.

Where are your clips?

First of all a P-90 is a single coil pickup, so I'm not even sure why you even brought that up, of course it doesn't sound as "br00tal" as a humbucker...

Second of all, active outputs do not have more output and gain and if you honestly think that you can't find a passive pickup that can match them, then you have your head up your ass.

Seymour Duncan El Diablo, DiMarzio X2N, Motor City Nuke, Bareknuckle Painkiller and Warpig, etc. all far superior pickups to any Active I've ever played.

Well I appreciate all the feedback. I brought up P-90 because they are they only passive I have heard that are loud enough So I figured everyone would say P-90.

The Bareknuckle I heard are actually good, I stand corrected with those pickups only, they are the only ones that are close. The sellers description of Mototr City Nuke make them sound great, too bad no sound clips...I own the X2N in 1 of my Ibanez, and they are trash, Duncan will tell you the Livewire or Blackout are the HIGHEST output/gain pickups they make.

And well Im not sure what setup you used with your Peavey but you can make them sound brutal. I do want a Savage, but the 6505+ is not bad at all aside from the scratchyness.

Anyway, keep them coming, I wanna hear more passives that are good.

Ill try and get some sound clips with my setup...
Quote by master2sexy
I prefer good passives, but if the bridge must be active, go active neck too, it'd be a major pain to mix passive and active

Well it is not a MUST, but a Most likely. So Active/Active.

I am going to do a little more research on high output passives. But I want this guy to try the Livewire HMET, or the Blackouts. He said X2N are better? More gain?? this guy is out of his mind.

I am talking about DUNCANS here guys, I do not like EMG, they are good. But my personall preference Active duncans sound better. EMG pick up the higher notes better but Duncans are more my taste. Its all a matter of preference with those 2.

But x2n vs ANY active = X2n gets crushed.
Quote by Leeav
Actually... on second thought... the only way to get a good metal tone is two active EMG's (85 and 81)... a BC Rich... and a Marshall MG halfstack... it will give you the crushing tone that P90's can't deliver.

But really now... You can use your bridge for those high gain riffs... but for added versitatility and a variety of different tones... I would choose a passive for the neck.

Im not looking for variety, its simple.

I want crushing bridge.

And what I was originally looking for help on was warm neck for acoustics and more so outstanding arpeggios and leads.

Im thinking AHB-3 bridge, EMG 60 neck, or AHB-1 neck.

But this is fun, and im curious to hear more good actives.

So far the only ones that sounded good are the bareknuckles.
Im curious to hjear the motor city but there are no sound clips.
wow people get really passionate about the active/passive debate
i find actives get high output but at the sacrifice of altering you tone or just make it sound really dark(some may like that)
high output passives allow you to tweak your tone to perfection and get that extra gain
but also wiring active and passive pickups in one guitar is a bitch so if you have one active its a lot easier to stick to them
You might try the EMG H or HA in the neck. They are both active single coil pickups in a humbucker housing. H is ceramic and HA is Alnico. I've used both and I think they are great neck pickups for rhythm guitar. Clear, articulate cleans. Not sure why more people aren't using these.

http://www.emginc.com/products/index/8/6/1

http://www.emginc.com/products/index/9/6/1

Last edited by dorfmeister at May 25, 2010,
Quote by dorfmeister
You might try the EMG H or HA in the neck. They are both active single coil pickups in a humbucker housing. H is ceramic and HA is Alnico. I've used both and I think they are great neck pickups for rhythm guitar. Clear, articulate cleans. Not sure why more people aren't using these.

http://www.emginc.com/products/index/8/6/1

http://www.emginc.com/products/index/9/6/1

The decription of the HA explains exactly what im looking for, But again no sound clips

Do you know where I could find any?????
I think the clips from the S and SA will be similar no? Just the housing is different?
Last edited by Tempoe at May 25, 2010,
Quote by maddnotez
Well I appreciate all the feedback. I brought up P-90 because they are they only passive I have heard that are loud enough So I figured everyone would say P-90.

The Bareknuckle I heard are actually good, I stand corrected with those pickups only, they are the only ones that are close. The sellers description of Mototr City Nuke make them sound great, too bad no sound clips...I own the X2N in 1 of my Ibanez, and they are trash, Duncan will tell you the Livewire or Blackout are the HIGHEST output/gain pickups they make.

And well Im not sure what setup you used with your Peavey but you can make them sound brutal. I do want a Savage, but the 6505+ is not bad at all aside from the scratchyness.

Anyway, keep them coming, I wanna hear more passives that are good.

Ill try and get some sound clips with my setup...

What do you mean loud enough??

You're not going to be able to hear the subtleties of a pickup from clips, especially when they don't tell you the guitar, amp, recording method and post EQ used. The only way to tell is if you were recording the raw tone of your guitar to amp, with the mic in the same position, using the same settings on the amp, with the same guitar, just with different pickups. Otherwise, clips of pickups are useless.

I don't know what to tell you on the X2N. That pickup is insanely high output and has more clarity than any active pickup I've ever used (and I've used them all). It doesn't work well in everything, granted, but that goes for every pickup. It's too much output for me, I like my cleans to still be... clean with a pickup. But if I had to choose between an X2N and an active, it'd be X2N all day long. They don't sound sterile and dead like actives do. Maybe you'd like the D-Activator then... It's a passive pickup that's supposed to sound like an active, but with more passive characteristics.

Maybe Duncan states that for their production models, but the El Diablo is a Custom Shop model.

I ran my 6505+ through my Mesa Recto 4x12 with a boost up front and either my PRS CE-22, Gibson Les Paul BFG or Ibanez S1520. Sure, they can get brutal... but the original does it way better

The Savage is a nice amp. I regret not picking one up a while back, but once I finish my recording rig, I will be buying an amp I've been wanting for quite a while

Quote by maddnotez
Well it is not a MUST, but a Most likely. So Active/Active.

I am going to do a little more research on high output passives. But I want this guy to try the Livewire HMET, or the Blackouts. He said X2N are better? More gain?? this guy is out of his mind.

I am talking about DUNCANS here guys, I do not like EMG, they are good. But my personall preference Active duncans sound better. EMG pick up the higher notes better but Duncans are more my taste. Its all a matter of preference with those 2.

But x2n vs ANY active = X2n gets crushed.

I have tried both pickups. I had Blackouts in a guitar for a short while, and though they are an improvement over EMG's sterile tone, they still sound like actives. The X2N is insanely high output, you can't even get a clean tone out of it, it pushes a clean amp into distortion. Like I said, maybe it's your guitar, but the X2Ns sound great on a distorted amp
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 25, 2010,
Quote by MatrixClaw
What do you mean loud enough??

You're not going to be able to hear the subtleties of a pickup from clips, especially when they don't tell you the guitar, amp, recording method and post EQ used. The only way to tell is if you were recording the raw tone of your guitar to amp, with the mic in the same position, using the same settings on the amp, with the same guitar, just with different pickups. Otherwise, clips of pickups are useless.

I don't know what to tell you on the X2N. That pickup is insanely high output and has more clarity than any active pickup I've ever used (and I've used them all). It doesn't work well in everything, granted, but that goes for every pickup. It's too much output for me, I like my cleans to still be... clean with a pickup. But if I had to choose between an X2N and an active, it'd be X2N all day long. They don't sound sterile and dead like actives do. Maybe you'd like the D-Activator then... It's a passive pickup that's supposed to sound like an active, but with more passive characteristics.

Maybe Duncan states that for their production models, but the El Diablo is a Custom Shop model.

I ran my 6505+ through my Mesa Recto 4x12 with a boost up front and either my PRS CE-22, Gibson Les Paul BFG or Ibanez S1520. Sure, they can get brutal... but the original does it way better

The Savage is a nice amp. I regret not picking one up a while back, but once I finish my recording rig, I will be buying an amp I've been wanting for quite a while

I have tried both pickups. I had Blackouts in a guitar for a short while, and though they are an improvement over EMG's sterile tone, they still sound like actives. The X2N is insanely high output, you can't even get a clean tone out of it, it pushes a clean amp into distortion. Like I said, maybe it's your guitar, but the X2Ns sound great on a distorted amp

Well your probably right, I know everything plays a factor. tyhe X2N are actually X2N7 in my wal mart quality Ibanez 7 string. But seriously. Wwe tried to record with it, I ended up using the other guitarists Schecter with emg.

It sounded like total trash, The guitar im looking to replace the pickups in is my S5470 It has the hot rails i think. Live basement recordings it actually sounds good. But when we practice there is not enough cruch at all, just sounds weak. I end up using my ackson with the Livewires. And honestly, with my rig. That Jackson puts out the best tone I have ever had.

I do wanna hear the motor city, and look more into the Bareknuckle. But I am still not convinced its going to sound better.

Also I still dont understand what you mean by Actives sounding sterile.

I need to change the title to this thread i think