Yeah, so what are some good guitars with tremolo? I don't actually know where to start looking, becouse i always used and looked at guitars with tune-o-matic bridges and stopbar tailpieces, so i thought i would ask here. I don't like active pickups and i don't play metal. I like crunchy overdrive like the one from Queen's Ogre battle and i just want a guitar for classical rock, but i also love good cleans. So yeah, what are some good guitars with tremolos? My price range is about 500 euros, but i am willing to go used. Thanks guys!
Check out Jacksons, they are pretty versatile guitars with tremolos. I'm sure they can do classic rock well.

I recommend the Jackson DK2 (HSS,) or the DK2M (HH.)
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
The thing is, i don't really like jacksons. Well, but thanks for your advice!
I've been thinking about american strats, but i think they're a little bit over my budget. What about mexican strats? And maybe there are some good schecters or cheaper decent PRS guitars?
Quote by kriscius
I've been thinking about american strats, but i think they're a little bit over my budget. What about mexican strats? And maybe there are some good schecters or cheaper decent PRS guitars?

Never had a problem with the Squier Affinity, Standard, Deluxe, Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Strats' tremolos.
MIA Strats' tremolos are nice too.
Can't speak about the MIMs, though, because i haven't used one before.

Tremolos on cheaper PRS guitars (SE line) are pretty good.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
What type of tremolo do you want? Floating floyd rose? Non-recessed floyd rose? 2 point floating strat style trem? 6 screw vintage style trem?
Well actually i don't know the diffrent between any of those, becouse as i said, i always played with tune-o-matic bridges and stopbars and i wasn't interested in tremolo systems.
prs trem system is actually one of the better ones out there. I would just change the tuners on the se.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Quote by kriscius
Well actually i don't know the diffrent between any of those, becouse as i said, i always played with tune-o-matic bridges and stopbars and i wasn't interested in tremolo systems.

Well it comes down to if you are using it for subtle vibrato usage sort of like Dave Gilmour would (that's if he used his) or if you are into the wacky sort of sounds you get from Satriani and Vai. There are a few advantages and disadvantages with both systems so you may need to do a bit of trying out at guitar stores to see which one suits you more.
Well, i would like to do things, like brian may does. Those dive bombs, maybe vibratos and stuff like that.
EDIT: And i also wanted to ask about fender standard strats made in mexico? Any good?
Last edited by kriscius at May 25, 2010,
Quote by kriscius
Well, i would like to do things, like brian may does. Those dive bombs, maybe vibratos and stuff like that.
EDIT: And i also wanted to ask about fender standard strats made in mexico? Any good?

MIM strats can be very good but i'd play them first to see if you like it. a standard non locking trem should suit your needs fairly well as brian may doesn't do much crazy stuff. i don't know how hard it would be to find one but a company called Aslin Dane made a brian may style guitar a couple of years back that was kinda cool and not expensive. also guitarfetish recently came out with a set of pickups for strats that duplicates the brian may sound so you might want to look into those.
I'm starting to think that i will buy a MiM standard strat. Anyone know, how much they're worth used?
The PRS SE Torero is a neck-thru with a Floyd Rose for under $1k USD. Just throwing that out there.
Life is about taking risks, as long as the risks aren't too risky.
Well, but PRS is over my budget and i can't afford it. But thanks anyway!
Quote by kriscius
I'm starting to think that i will buy a MiM standard strat. Anyone know, how much they're worth used?

Roughly a decent priced one should be near the $300usd region but don't be surprised if you see some go for more or less.
Quote by kriscius
Quote by acrtl1000s
The PRS SE Torero is a neck-thru with a Floyd Rose for under $1k USD. Just throwing that out there.
Well, but PRS is over my budget and i can't afford it. But thanks anyway!

What? You mentioned PRS yourself...

The only problem i see with the SE Torero is that it's loaded with EMGs, and you said you don't want active pickups.
Quote by kriscius

I've seen an "used, like new" PRS SE Torero in eBay just the other day for 600€, and i've seen used SE Customs and Singlecuts go from 250€ to 450€...

On DV247, they start at 430€, brand-new.
(The PRS SE One, with P90-style pickups, is even cheaper.)

So... Let me check:
Quote by kriscius
My price range is about 500 euros, but i am willing to go used.

Yep. Brand-new SE Customs or Singlecuts are definitely inside your price range.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
So if i buy torero, then i have to swap the active pickups to passive. Thanks for the help guys, but i think i will go with MiM strat and maybe swap the pickup to brighton rocks
Quote by kriscius
So if i buy torero, then i have to swap the active pickups to passive. Thanks for the help guys, but i think i will go with MiM strat and maybe swap the pickup to brighton rocks

No, i'm talking about buying a PRS SE Custom 24 or a PRS SE Singlecut Tremolo (the main difference between the two is the body shape), and then you don't have to swap any pickups (because they come with PRS passive humbuckers that can both do amazing clean tones and awesome overdriven and/or distorted tones).

If you prefer the Strat, it's another thing.
But don't rule out PRS just because you're misinformed or didn't understood properly what we're saying.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at May 26, 2010,
Oh, i guess i misunderstood then. Thanks for your advice, when i'll go to a music shop, i will definitely try out PRS guitars too then!