So today I picked up a pack of Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkies, and then a pack of D'Addario XL Medium Jazz Gauge 13-56's so I can go and get my Gibson Explorer drop tuned to B standard.

Usually I would go with the D'Addarios just because I have used them a lot (never really used Ernie Ball strings ever, except when I played a crappy strat when I was young) But the thing is, the D'addarios have a wound G string, while the Not Even Slinkies do not.

So, with that stated, can anyone offer any advice as to what I should use/do? (Basically its between a wound G string or a plain one)

Also, this is sort of offtopic, but Im extremely paranoid when it comes to expensive stuff, and by not paying attention the other day when I was stretching my B string (since it was going out of tune easily and these were the stock strings that came with the gibson), I was pulling it straight up instead of fretting it and pulling it straight up, and the string came off the nut and slid off the side, so I put it back on and continued doing that a little bit and I heard once or so a weird creaking noise, so I stopped but now the string stays in tune. Anyways, I'm really sort of concerned that I could have warped/broken something from stretching the string and from what I heard/did. But I feel i'm just being paranoid as I can't immediately notice anything wrong.

Anyways, does this sound like I could have done anything? or should I have nothing at all to worry about and just play my damn new guitar (lol)
You did adjust the truss rod right?
Last edited by Kyose at May 24, 2010,
Quote by Murfywat
So today I picked up a pack of Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkies, and then a pack of D'Addario XL Medium Jazz Gauge 13-56's so I can go and get my Gibson Explorer drop tuned to B standard.

I haven't done anything yet.
Not Even Slinkys work great for me in drop c and drop b....
Ever Dance with the Devil in The Pale Moonlight?