Hey guys,

I have decided (I think) to go for an amp that has a real good clean channel, so that I can just use FX pedals to get my distortion etc.

Today I tried out a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and a Peavey Classic 30, I really liked them both, the Fender sounded like a Fender (obviously) and the Peavey was somewhat 'warmer', but I can't really decide which I like best.

Also, I don't know weather to get one of the above, or one of the 2x12 versions of the above.

The Peavey has more tubes/valves than the Fender, but it gets really really hot when you leave it on (bad thing?). The Fender has a further boost but the OD on either amp wasn't exactly great anyway so that dosn't matter much. Both have spring reverb.

The Peavey has 'pre' and 'post' gain (which I don't really understand) and the Fender just has 'gain'.

The Fender is about £100 (UK) more than the Peavey, but it has 10 more watts, and comes with the footswitch (the Peavey dosn't)

Does anybody have any experience, tips, facts or information about either of these amps or their bigger brothers?

Thanks

Fuzz. X
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Pre gain is your actual gain, while the Post gain is more your volume. Pre-amp gain and Power-amp gain.

I like my Classic 30, but I never really plated around on the Fenders too much, but one thing to change on the Peavey is ditch the Blue Marvel Ice Pick...

James
I thought the speaker on the Peavey sounded really good for cleans, does it not handle heavier stuff well?

Thanks for the info on the gain.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
The speaker is really the problem with the heavier sounds. The second I changed it out, the drive sound became so much better, and the clean opened up a bit too. Although I bought mine used, and unless Peavey changed the speaker design if you had the volume up much at all the high feq would make your ears hurt, even while still in the level of clean. I didn't notice it at the pawn shop because I couldn't crank it up.

I had one guy describe the Peavey as a British Amp voiced American, or vice versa.

James
Last edited by IronFeliks at May 24, 2010,
I've got a Classic 50, and the other guitarist in my band has a Hot Rod, I prefer my Classic more to be honest, neither of their distorted channels sound particularly good; the fender's dirt is very thin, and I find the 'More Overdrive' channel to be almost usable, the Peavey dirt channel is better, but it still can get a bit fizzy with the pre gain up.

They both are great platforms for running pedals through though, the Peavey can handle high gain pedals, I run a fuzz and a couple of OD's through it, and can get a very reasonable Pumpkins and RHCP sorta fuzz, so as long as you have decent pedals either amp will be fine, unless you're going for extremely heavy metal.

They both have decent cleans, the Peavey's cleans are a quite bit warmer and has a more open sound, the fender is more glassy, more compressed, its really a matter of opinion with which you prefer. I don't really know about the Classic 30 heating up, though I've heard about that, my Classic 50 has a fan though so its not really a problem. Though the Hot Rod can get hot pretty quick though, after a couple of hours it has to get turned off.

EDIT: All my comment on the Peavey are on the Classic 50, not the Classic 30 btw, I don't think the 30 has a presence knob? Which is helpful for dialling out some of the harsh high end which can be a bit of a problem.

Also you might want to consider using ebay to buy your amp, especially if you go for the peavey, I got my Classic 50 for only £200, I've seen plenty of Classic 30/50 go for very cheap.
Last edited by greenwoodfan93 at May 24, 2010,
Cool, I suppose I could change the speaker to a vintage 30 if I needed to, like I said I havn't actually tried it with my ODs or anything yet though.

The Peavey definatly sounded beautiful on the clean channel.
Quote by greenwoodfan93
I've got a Classic 50, and the other guitarist in my band has a Hot Rod, I prefer my Classic more to be honest, neither of their distorted channels sound particularly good; the fender's dirt is very thin, and I find the 'More Overdrive' channel to be almost usable, the Peavey dirt channel is better, but it still can get a bit fizzy with the pre gain up.

They both are great platforms for running pedals through though, the Peavey can handle high gain pedals, I run a fuzz and a couple of OD's through it, and can get a very reasonable Pumpkins and RHCP sorta fuzz, so as long as you have decent pedals either amp will be fine, unless you're going for extremely heavy metal.

They both have decent cleans, the Peavey's cleans are a quite bit warmer and has a more open sound, the fender is more glassy, more compressed, its really a matter of opinion with which you prefer. I don't really know about the Classic 30 heating up, though I've heard about that, my Classic 50 has a fan though so its not really a problem. Though the Hot Rod can get hot pretty quick though, after a couple of hours it has to get turned off.

Also you might want to consider using ebay to buy your amp, especially if you go for the peavey, I got my Classic 50 for only £200, I've seen plenty of Classic 30/50 go for very cheap.

Brilliant info, cheers mate.
I did notice that the Peavey sounded alot warmer, I think I prefer that sound slightly. The main thing that I don't like about the Peavey is that it gets so hot, so maybe I should go for the 50 with the fan.
Glad to hear that it's a good platform for effects, would you say that there is any problem with the stock speaker for heavier tones?
I'm not going for really heavy metal so that's okay.

PS: Pumkins

In reply to Baldguitardude: I play modern rock, blues, some lighter metal, stoner... Mostly chordy stuff, no super dooper shred leads or anything lame like that... The heaviest band I listen to is probably Deftones (I realise that Stephs gear is nothing like the gear I have)
^Yeah, I'd defo recommend the 50 over the Classic 30, only problem is its quite heavy, its fine for heavier stuff to be honest, I play a lot of grungy, reasonably high gain alternative rock on it, there can be a bit of harshness, though I use a tele, which probably is the cause of some of that, though that can be EQed out pretty easily once your used to the amp, the heavier stuff probably would benefit from a speaker swap, but the stock speaker is decent enough. You might struggle to get a Deftones sound, but with some decent pedals and the right guitar you should be in the ballpark, I certainly wouldn't say the Fender would be any better for that anyhow.

Quote by FuzzLove
Cool, I suppose I could change the speaker to a vintage 30 if I needed to, like I said I havn't actually tried it with my ODs or anything yet though.

The Peavey definatly sounded beautiful on the clean channel.

TBH if you prefer the Peavey cleans then you should probably go for it, I reckon the Classic is better at everything aside from cleans which is really just a matter of opinion.

What pedals and guitar are you using btw? The classic has a lot of mids which can be a problem... or not depending on your setup.
Last edited by greenwoodfan93 at May 24, 2010,
Yeah, all 2x12s seem to be really heavy to carry around, that's one thing that makes me want to buy a 1x12.

I have a Tele with normal Tele pickups, and another Tele with Duncan humbuckers, also a cheap Gretsch electromatic but I only use the Gretsch for a couple of songs.

I have an EHX Bass Big Muff, an EHX Hot Tubes and a Boss OD1 as far as OD/fuzz pedals go, but I plan to use any left over money to buy another one.

To be perfectly honest I thought that both amps sounded really good clean, I'm not sure which I prefer... Saying that though I havn't really fallen in love with either of these amps.

I just don't think any company makes the perfect amp for me haha.
I love my Classic 30. I played a bunch of Fenders before I finally played the C30 and the cleans blew me away. There's nothing wrong with the Fenders, I guess I just preferred the cleans on the C30 more. I'm running a similiar setup to what you want to do, I just use the C30's clean channel and use pedals for my distortion.

My C30 can get pretty hot, but recently I've been running a small fan behind it during practice, and at gigs I put a little box type fan behind it that doesn't even blow that hard and now it stays really cool, almost like it wasn't even on.

Also, I haven't changed my speaker yet. Idk if they've started making the Blue Marvels better recently but I like mine. I bought my C30 during X-mas of 2008. It's the 1x12 version.
Last edited by chip46 at May 24, 2010,
Quote by FuzzLove
Cool, I suppose I could change the speaker to a vintage 30 if I needed to,

don't do that, you'll kill the cleans

EDIT: consider a laney vc30

EDIT #2: if you're willing to take a chance on an amp you haven't tried (i haven't tried it either, so this isn't a personal recommendation, consider this option at your own risk), and you just want an amp with nice cleans to run pedals through, musicstore in cologne (germany, but free postage to UK on anything over 200 euro) sells a yerasov-made 40 watt tube amp with just volume and tone controls for like 300 euro. might be worth considering. everything i've read about them suggests they're pretty decent. they also make a 15 watt version which is allegedly a fender pro junior copy (but with better quality parts, for half the money).

EDIT #3: if you want multiple channels though the laney would be my choice, i prefer it to the classic 30 and it's cheaper, too.

EDIT #4: just kidding about edit #4.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 24, 2010,