Hey UG, i need your guidance on something.
i desperately need a new amp for jamming with a drummer/band and maybe for gigging, and i want the good tone for this for a price that wont cost a leg.
Here comes all the specs
Genre: Metal, nice cleans would be good too
Price: £200-450 (as low as possible)
Current gear: Epi G400, Spider IV
Tubes: please

Thanks
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Peavey 6505 (I think that's the model)
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
the 6505+ is great, however i would a good compressor for cleans if you are really wanting good cleans
If it's creative, true to your musical goal, and it sounds good, put it in the song.

1. Guitar, delay, verb, amp, and creativity.
2. Well-tuned acoustic piano and creativity.
3. A bottle of water.
bullet for my valentine, disturbed, avenged sevenfold, ect
forgot to mention, something that also sounds good at lower levels maybe?
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
You can't really get a decent tube amp that will do metal without an effects pedal for £450, especially not for less, unless you buy used.

Peavey Valveking maybe?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FRACTUREDx2
the 6505+ is great, however i would a good compressor for cleans if you are really wanting good cleans

A compressor won't make bad cleans any better. In fact it would most likely make it worse.

On topic, if it were me I would get a classic 30 with a nice OD pedal. This way you can get decent cleans AND high-gain sounds.
what do y'all think of the Bugera's?
Gear:
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by richyt93
what do y'all think of the Bugera's?
Good amps, yeah. What model were you thinking of?
6262 im thinking, i like the sound of them, im just worried about the reliability.
Also, i was maybe thinking of getting an amp with good cleans, then getting some metal pedals, this a good idea?
Gear:
Snark Headstock tuner!
maybe look into a used Engl thunder/screamer combo. great cleans+Lead, sounds good at low volumes, very reliable. 50watt valve is loud enough to be heard over the drummer and its sufficient for small venue gigs.

since your in the UK, the engl's are reasonibly priced compared to mesa's and peavey's which are twice the price here than they are in the USA.
Ibanez Prestige RG3270
Axe FX II
Don't let the stories scare you. Many Chinese built amps that cost as little as a Bugera 6262 does will have problems. That's almost guaranteed. But the ones that were present in the old batch have now been dealt with. If you buy from a respectable shop like GAK or Dolphin Music then you'll have no problem. The amp does have a warranty as well.

The 6262 is the only Bugera I've had expensive experience with, and it is a very good amp for the money. Here is a little run down on it:

Genre-wise it can pretty much cope with anything except for jazz and maybe some forms of blues. It just doesn't have the poweramp break-up and warmth needed.
It has tonnes of gain on tap, and most of it is pretty usable. I'd say cranking it too far adds a whole lot of compression that often makes it very muddy and unarticulate, but some actually like that.

It has a decent EQ section, but is not one of those amps where you can EQ it in any way and expect it to sound like a motherfucking piece of heaven. Scooping the mids, cranking the bass and treble isn't adviced, in other words.

It sounds quite reasonable at low levels, but best when you're jamming with a band. At stupidly high volumes it sounds pants, but that's just the way amps like that are designed. They rely on preamp section to conjur the tone and gain, so cranking the power valves turns it into an overly-compressed mushy mess of treble and bass. Keep it retained and it's fine - though I wouldn't advice it for late-night bedroom practise in a flat full of hardcore music haters.

It's very heavy in size. If you're a small person, it may be better to go for the head and a 2x12 cabinet - though that's more expensive.

I think it excells in stuff like Trivium, Machine Head, etc. It doesn't quite have that "djenty" sound an ENGL Fireball or Framus Cobra has. It's more like a Rectifier and a 5150/6505. I'd say it's not as saggy as a Mesa Boogie, but not as tight as a VHT or Diezel. Something in between.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at May 24, 2010,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I don't think it could handle modern metal very well.

If it's a good pedal it will. (ex. tonebone classic, EHX metal muff)