There's a randall cab on CL that has two 12" v30's and one eminence 15" speaker. Just curious about the tonality of something like this, anybody ever used one? I'm assuming it'll have huuuuge low end because of the 15" speaker, which I've only ever seen used for basses. Anywho, discuss.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

If you play in a band, using that cab will probably make your bass player want to kill you.
Isn't it a bass cab anyway?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
the 15 is bigger, which is obvious, which makes it harder to move back and forth (known as speaker excursion). the 15" speaker also has a bigger surface area, which means it moves more air with it's excurion. these attributes lead to the tendency of the speaker to have a harder time moving back and forth quickly, which makes the speaker more responsive to low end than to high end.

but the deal is you have a couple 12" speakers, so they will be providing your high end while the 15" reinforces your low end more. hifi cabs would use a crossover to keep the appropriate speaker amplifying the appropriate frequencies, but guitar doesn't care as much.

basically, you should get what you are expecting, greater low end response. but in addition to your analysis, you will also not be sacrificing your high end response as your 12" speakers will be supplementing your high end.

cool cab.

edit: @Kanthras, if you run the cab at 16 ohms it should help isolate the frequencies of the guitar to keep from stepping on the bass player's toes. 16 ohm outs attenuate the low and high end more sharply than lower impedances (lower impedances provide a more flat freq response curve).

i run a 115-65 with my bass player and there are no qualms.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at May 24, 2010,
It's listed as a guitar cab, which is the part I found odd.

It's only $350, are Randall cabs well built?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at May 24, 2010,
Quote by mcraddict81592
It's listed as a guitar cab, which is the part I found odd.

It's only $350, are Randall cabs well built?

it was more common to have 15's back in the day. sunn and fender both had a number of 15" guitar cabs, but time has shown 12" speakers are more appropriate for freq response.

randall cabs... dunno. if i wanna know how good a cab is i don't just look at the brand. i open her up and look at the speakers, wiring, hardware, and wood to find out the quality. i then make the eval. like, if the speakers are crappy, then i can just change them out. but if they use pressboard, cheap jacks, and thin wire too, then there i'll pass it by.

luckily, most people can't even tell the difference between a good and bad cabinet (tonally) anyway. it is really one of the less relevant opportunities to improve tone, though a good cab is very desirable. after getting my ppc212 some new speakers i was shocked by the improvement.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
That sounds pretty awesome. Its the Randall RS125CX btw if you want to look into it.

From what ive seen of randall there build quality is fine.

Birch ply too so no complaints there.
My newly acquired Randall 2x12 is of great quality. Those cabs are very good. Metal players love 'em for the tight crunch of the V30's and clear big lows from the "15.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION