So I'm thinking about upgrading from my crappy Ibanez jumpstart package. I want to play death metal like Obscura and Augury and shred like Paul Gilbert, but I've been getting into more jazzy stuff like Shawn Lane and Guthrie Govan. Any good guitars and amps to satisfy both?
$1000 Budget.
Oh, and I've been playing for a year now, and I want this to last me for at least 2 years.
Last edited by Infamous Impact at May 24, 2010,
normally the recomendation would be for you to spend the larger part of your budget on the amp as thats where the tone comes from, but since you described your gear as 'crappy' your clearly not going to be happy with the plan to keep your guitar and get a good amp. but for the death metal id say the top reccomendation will be the 6505 combo and then spend the remainder on the best guitar you can

best bet would be to go into a decent guitar shop that stocks the sort of gear you like and explain to them what you want and pick your amp first then get them to help you pick a guitar both within the remainer of your budget and one that you like... make sure you try a few out and that you try it through the amp you want.

But for amp look into somthing like the 6505 and if you want metal look into guitars with high output pickups and a decent trem such as ESP/Jackson/Ibanez etc...

hopefully this advice is ok as i have no idea on the cost of things in US
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
I would recommend finding a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL combo on eBay, and then finding a used Ibanez Saber or a Jackson Dinky.
How about a 6505+ combo and an LTD 400 series of your choice off eBay?

if you want to satisfy both the 6505 or marshall will definately not do. both amps can push some great metal tones but cleans are either non existant/square from my experience. what is your application? bedroom playing, with a band, gigging etc.

If you're totally opposed i'd look into the new Line 6 Spider Valve MKII's - now before i get bashed, im not saying i'd suggest buying it because i have no experience with them. however i know its an amp that can cover both genres and everywhere between, the soundclips ive heard seem pretty great, and everyone has kudos to give apparantly. as for me i'm an all tube vintage/boutique kinda guy, and im honestly interested.

if you want to go all tube then look into a lower wattage amp like Egnator or Blackstar. there is a huge amount of amps 30 watts and below that are great all tube platforms that are very versitile for a wide range of musicians and applications.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
as for the guitar, use what money is left and find the guitar that feels right for you. guitars are more of a taste/feel object to me rather than whats "best." the only suggestions i'd make is get something with decent to good construction quality, and humbuckers.

humbuckers will cover both jazz and metal nicely, and good build quality means potential. if the action feels right and it is a solid guitar, pickups and hardwear can be easily upgraded over time for a fairly low cost.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Quote by iheartmy7

If you're totally opposed i'd look into the new Line 6 Spider Valve MKII's - now before i get bashed, im not saying i'd suggest buying it because i have no experience with them. however i know its an amp that can cover both genres and everywhere between, the soundclips ive heard seem pretty great, and everyone has kudos to give apparantly. as for me i'm an all tube vintage/boutique kinda guy, and im honestly interested.

Now im not sure about the combos but i know the MKII head is pretty damn good, i picked it over a 6505. I shocked myself.
Quote by gtanny
normally the recomendation would be for you to spend the larger part of your budget on the amp as thats where the tone comes from, but since you described your gear as 'crappy' your clearly not going to be happy with the plan to keep your guitar and get a good amp. but for the death metal id say the top reccomendation will be the 6505 combo and then spend the remainder on the best guitar you can

Completely agree with this. Also if you have a GC near check out what they have on sale this weekend. It's and miss if it's something you actually want but I would've have bought the ESP EC-1000 they had for $700 if I wasn't buying an amp yesterday.

Look on craigslist for a Schecter C-1 Classic. May or may not be your thing but I see them from $300-$400 all the time and they're nice. I love mine and it's one of my favorite guitars I've ever played. (to me personally better than a PRS for how it 'feels'). Should be near what you'll have left over after a 6505 1x12 combo.
I have a huge fear if rays.