Page 1 of 3
Ever been to a shop with abysmal selection? Rude staff? Lying salesman? Ed Roman? Etc.

Whatever made your guitar shop experience beyond terrible, rant about it here!

If your rage is so great that you wish to spare others the same frustration, go ahead an tell us where it is.

My worst experience, and I'm sure many other canadians relate, is: Walters Music.

Every single one I have ever been to sells nothing but shitty yamaha starter guitars, B.C Rich, and Washburn guitars. Their selection is hysterically limited, yet they have the audacity to avoid talking to anyone who doesn't look like they're about to buy something right-this-minute. Examples of people they avoid: young kids (unless accompanied by parents), teenagers, guys who are just jamming, basically anyone who isn't holding a fat wallet in their hand. They also enforce a "no touch" method of selecting guitars, similar to Ed Roman. The problem is, they have this policy when they are selling $300 guitars, rather than $3000 guitars. Avoid, avoid, avoid. The worst offender is in Square One in Mississauga.

*inb4 guitar center*
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at May 24, 2010,
I took my amp to a shop to get it fixed, they had it for two and a half weeks before they told me to send it back to GK agents because they couldnt fix it....
i once walked in to a guitar shop that had no electric guitars. only acoustic. they even had a few ukuleles. needless to say i felt the urge to burn the store down, but i realized how much of a waste of gas it would be, so i just smashed a few grandpa guitars and called it a day.
I was about to rant about the exact same store Shiny.

I have a hatred for Dont Fret too. That place is a clusterfuck of fail.
Quote by rickyj
i once walked in to a guitar shop that had no electric guitars. only acoustic. they even had a few ukuleles. needless to say i felt the urge to burn the store down, but i realized how much of a waste of gas it would be, so i just smashed a few grandpa guitars and called it a day.

Digital Viallage 24/7 in Romford.

bunch of rude, ignorant and unhelpful cunts.

Me: I am really interested in this guitar, do you have the trem arm for it?

Twat: Oh yeah but its in the box out back...

Me: Oh ok cool, would it be possible for you to get it for me?

Twat: Oh no sorry mate, its in its box.

Me: Cheers, thanks for your time you just lost your sale.

when I returned the next day to buy the guitar, the neck and feel was the best on any SE I could find. A different guy pulled the same routine with me. Even when it was clear I was seriously going to buy the guitar.

I was so pissed I had to use that store to get the guitar i wanted, the guys really were complete arseholes.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at May 24, 2010,
Quote by rickyj

Yeah, what an idiotic store. What waste of space. What moron the guy running was. What a complete lack of sense and brain
The Music Go Round in my town is rediculously overpriced and all the used gear they sell looks like it's been thrown down a set of stairs after sitting through a hurricane.
I made a thread like this a couple months ago and got attacked by some people saying they have the right to be like this. I disagree. I was treated like shit in a guitar shop and came to the pit with the same complaints. They have no idea who has a loaded debit card, or a few benjamins in their wallet. If they want to make money, they need to act like it. Not tell you to stop touching things. If I can't touch it, how am I supposed to know if I wanna fork over my hard-earned money? With every trip to a Ma and Pa guitar shop, my tolerance grows for salesmen in headsets at GC, Sam Ash and Sweetwater. They put on a good show and I feel like they want me to be happy, even if they just want my money.

tl:dr Local shops need to take risks and treat everyone like they have the money and intent to buy right then and there.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by rickyj

Slightly off topic, but Shiny (or any Torontonians) do you know any really good music stores in Toronto? I'm moving there and I really don't know which ones are good or bad, I don't want another Walters/Dont Fret experience.
never been to a bad guitar shop, but my least favorite is Logan Music in Logan, WV. They have good stuff, great selection of B.C. Rich, Washburn, Ibanez, and Traben guitars and basses, tons of amps, and a whole room full of drums and drum accessories. Not bad, just not the best.
I was at some place called "Mickey's Music" and the dude working there was a douchebag. My uncle went in the day before and talked about how nice the guy was but when I was there with my friends he just acted like we were there solely to break shit and not buy anything. Needless to say, I've never been there again and I discourage anybody from going there whenever I get the chance.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Quote by Tom 1.0
Digital Viallage 24/7 in Romford.

bunch of rude, ignorant and unhelpful cunts.

You go to Romford?! You must live nearish me You been to PMT? It's quite a good shop. Quite a fair selection of stuff and the staff are nice there too. I went to Musicland today, I know it's not specifically a guitar shop but the variety there is lacking.
One guy, after revealing his shop didn't stock PRSs tried telling me it was literally impossible to play prog rock or metal on one.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I've been to a tiny music shop which only had a few guitars, one bass, and two amplifiers (both tiny solid state amps). They said they can't afford to have a lot of amps. It's not profitable as people don't buy them as often as guitars (which makes sense, I guess).

I've also been to a rather large music shop where I went in just to have a look, and came out after being lectured for half an hour about how Schecter are "elite studio guitars", about not trusting the internet and about something to do with Paul McCartney.
Last edited by sashki at May 24, 2010,
Quote by BrokenDstring
I made a thread like this a couple months ago and got attacked by some people saying they have the right to be like this. I disagree. I was treated like shit in a guitar shop and came to the pit with the same complaints. They have no idea who has a loaded debit card, or a few benjamins in their wallet. If they want to make money, they need to act like it. Not tell you to stop touching things. If I can't touch it, how am I supposed to know if I wanna fork over my hard-earned money? With every trip to a Ma and Pa guitar shop, my tolerance grows for salesmen in headsets at GC, Sam Ash and Sweetwater. They put on a good show and I feel like they want me to be happy, even if they just want my money.

tl:dr Local shops need to take risks and treat everyone like they have the money and intent to buy right then and there.

I despise most ma and pa shops. If anyone of you (again, canadians) want to see what a great family run store can be, head on down to Kaladar near Peterborough, and go into the shop called Yarns and Gee-tars. They have some crazy nice guitars in there, and the guy who runs it is a really cool dude. People drive hours just to go to his store. He carries everything from martin to ESP, and lets you play anything as long as you don't go and smash it on the floor or something.

But since that's a 3 and a half hour drive from where I live, I stick to Long and McQuade most of the year, where you're treated like royalty no matter what you're looking to buy.

Quote by Thrashtastic15

Slightly off topic, but Shiny (or any Torontonians) do you know any really good music stores in Toronto? I'm moving there and I really don't know which ones are good or bad, I don't want another Walters/Dont Fret experience.

Long and McQuade. If you're in the heart of the city, the Long and McQuade headquarters is on Bloor street. The store is so big they bought the 2 stores next to them just to expand their selection. It's a little tight inside since it is literally packed to the gills with stuff, but the guys there are really nice and they aren't on commission. It's like Canada's version of Guitar Center, but its a lot nicer. The staff don't lie to you, and they don't try to sell you crap you don't want.
pats desert music in las vegas, oh my god its a terrible shop, i had one of my my guitar sintonated there and restrung. the "technician" stripped one of the damn nuts and screwed it up now it wont stay intonated or in tune for nothing, bastard.....
Quote by hobson111
You go to Romford?! You must live nearish me You been to PMT? It's quite a good shop. Quite a fair selection of stuff and the staff are nice there too. I went to Musicland today, I know it's not specifically a guitar shop but the variety there is lacking.

yeah i try to only use PMT they are great guys in there and all my gear apart from the SE i am trying to sell is from them,

really good store and very helpful.

where abouts in essex are you?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
yeah i try to only use PMT they are great guys in there and all my gear apart from the SE i am trying to sell is from them,

really good store and very helpful.

where abouts in essex are you?

Elm Park, about 10 minutes away from Romford. If you take the 252 from over the road to PMT it takes you straight there, so in that direction lol.
ah ok,

wrong PMT,

Southend one is the dogs,

i will have to see what the romford PMT is like though

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Worst experience,

not finding KMFDM in a 4 story music store.

worse than worst, finding KMFDM in the Pop section in a chain music store (like F.Y.E.)
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Tom 1.0
ah ok,

wrong PMT,

Southend one is the dogs,

i will have to see what the romford PMT is like though

Yeah it's pretty good, I know very little about guitars so don't ask too many questions and whatnot but they've always been good in there. Where abouts is the shop in Romford you're talking about.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I despise most ma and pa shops. If anyone of you (again, canadians) want to see what a great family run store can be, head on down to Kaladar near Peterborough, and go into the shop called Yarns and Gee-tars. They have some crazy nice guitars in there, and the guy who runs it is a really cool dude. People drive hours just to go to his store. He carries everything from martin to ESP, and lets you play anything as long as you don't go and smash it on the floor or something.

But since that's a 3 and a half hour drive from where I live, I stick to Long and McQuade most of the year, where you're treated like royalty no matter what you're looking to buy.

Long and McQuade. If you're in the heart of the city, the Long and McQuade headquarters is on Bloor street. The store is so big they bought the 2 stores next to them just to expand their selection. It's a little tight inside since it is literally packed to the gills with stuff, but the guys there are really nice and they aren't on commission. It's like Canada's version of Guitar Center, but its a lot nicer. The staff don't lie to you, and they don't try to sell you crap you don't want.

I was hoping there would be some little store somewhere that would have some crazy deals on gear, since while Long and McQuade is a pretty good shopping experience, they are pretty over-priced on a lot of things. I actually worked at the Long and McQuade in Burlington, my one piece of advice is to be careful if you are a noob about something. Some of the guys really know their shit and some guys are completely clueless. I'm itching to check out the massive store now.
Tie between two stores. Music Land and Music and Arts. Neither are bad, but they've got some bad qualities.

Music Land has some very nice guitars that no one else stocks, but they don't generally let you play if you don't have the money to buy one. The people are usually very helpful though.

Music and Arts has about 20 guitars that you're free to play, even if you're not gonna buy one on that very day, but none of them go past $500 in price, the brands they carry (as far as electrics) are Ibanez, Peavey, Squier, and Epiphone, and the only "tube" amps they have are Vox Valvetronix 15s, 30s, and 60s (and if you're gonna tell me not all solid states are bad, the ones they stock are Spiders, Frontmans, and a couple tiny MGs).
Quote by hobson111
Yeah it's pretty good, I know very little about guitars so don't ask too many questions and whatnot but they've always been good in there. Where abouts is the shop in Romford you're talking about.

just off the end of the a127 in a little industrial unit,

stay away unless you want to ruin your day.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
just off the end of the a127 in a little industrial unit,

stay away unless you want to ruin your day.

I can't drive so I wont be venturing up there, especially if it's that bad and I have PMT 5 minutes away, go in there if you have the chance, it's a nice shop.
will do mate

thanks for the tip

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Some of the guys really know their shit and some guys are completely clueless.

This is true for a lot of them. Are you right in the heart of the city? or are you kind of on the outskirts of Toronto. Depending on how deep into toronto you are, you also have access to the Long and McQuade in Mississauga (my personal favorite) or the one in Brampton, which is quite small but easily has the most knowledgeable staff and a very high concentration of high end gear, I've even seen a few ENGL amps in there from time to time.

Oh and long and mcquade employees can be haggled with, you can still get some really great deals. I used to work at the mississauga one, and I've seen some gear go for mind bogglingly low prices. I once saw some guy work a salesman down on a used Vox AC30CC2X from $1200 to $800. It's a chain superstore, but its still really easy to get some great deals. You'll love the one in Toronto.
George's Music in North Wales, PA. The staff is really nice and helpful, and I've even had one of the customers help me out when I was building a guitar, but the have a terrible selection. They only have Ibanez, Fender/Squire, and Gibson/Epiphone, and only SS amps, mostly crappy modeling. They get some nice guitars in sometimes, like a JEM777 and a Kirk Hammet sig LTD for a week or two, but they really need to expand beyond beginner stuff.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Here in Maryland there is a place called Chuck Levin's (only real other option that i know of besides the three Guitar Centers) that I keep giving chances to but its just gone downhill lately.

They have this salesman in there named Jorge (Horhay) and he knows next to nothing about anything. Anyway so I call ahead and ask if they have any white Flying Vs in stock and Horhay tells me they have 1 in stock. So I check my bank account make sure I have all the money I need and drive 45 minutes to get there and buy it. What he neglected to tell me is that it had been on the shelf ( from the looks of it since 1995). It had to missing knobs and paint chipping along wear the neck meets the fretboard. Mention this before I take 2 hours outa my day much?

Idk I keep trying to give them chances cause I hate Guitar Center but I just cant deal with him anymore. Horhay has lost them tons of my business cause I just hate going knowing that idiot is there being unhelpful and getting commission pay for selling me something that I intended to buy long before I got to the store.

I guess it doesn't seem like the worst shop but my frustration of it only being a bad shop because of the people who run makes it much worse then something like Music and Arts Center that only sells Yamaha strats IMHO.

/rant
Mom's music in Louisville. Bad selection, over priced goods, and for some reason there is a restaurant/ bar inside?? I was able to haggle a price of a pedal down 30% and still over paid for it...

and they hire random bums off the street as guitar teachers at 30$ / half hr
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
Last edited by Outerspacegrass at May 24, 2010,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
This is true for a lot of them. Are you right in the heart of the city? or are you kind of on the outskirts of Toronto. Depending on how deep into toronto you are, you also have access to the Long and McQuade in Mississauga (my personal favorite) or the one in Brampton, which is quite small but easily has the most knowledgeable staff and a very high concentration of high end gear, I've even seen a few ENGL amps in there from time to time.

Oh and long and mcquade employees can be haggled with, you can still get some really great deals. I used to work at the mississauga one, and I've seen some gear go for mind bogglingly low prices. I once saw some guy work a salesman down on a used Vox AC30CC2X from $1200 to $800. It's a chain superstore, but its still really easy to get some great deals. You'll love the one in Toronto.

I don't know exactly where I'll be living yet, but I'll be living near U of T. The size of the Long and McQuade's will probably be nice though, mine doesn't even carry my favourite strings.
The flipside:

Where I live, Calgary Alberta, there is a great guitar store called 'Axe'. If you even look at a guitar they urge you to try it....they have little private rooms with a half dozen amps...they let you go at it for as long as you like... a minute or 30 minutes. Want to try a different guitar or amp...all set up and off you go. You are left alone in your little room to do as you like.

If you want, they put you on a list. There is a mini-stage where they bring in guitar celebrities, reps from guitar companies, etc. We get emails as to 'what's happening' and any special promos. The Ibanez rep was in last weekend and gave my nephew an Ibanez jacket.

Guess where we buy our gear?
Quote by Raptorfingers
The flipside:

Where I live, Calgary Alberta, there is a great guitar store called 'Axe'. If you even look at a guitar they urge you to try it....they have little private rooms with a half dozen amps...they let you go at it for as long as you like... a minute or 30 minutes. Want to try a different guitar or amp...all set up and off you go. You are left alone in your little room to do as you like.

If you want, they put you on a list. There is a mini-stage where they bring in guitar celebrities, reps from guitar companies, etc. We get emails as to 'what's happening' and any special promos. The Ibanez rep was in last weekend and gave my nephew an Ibanez jacket.

Long and McQuade, right?

To be super serial, that place sounds heavenly.
Quote by Raptorfingers
The flipside:

Damn, that sounds awesome.

But Glen Drover gives guitar lessons at the Brampton Long and McQuade, so there
The only guitar shop I've got around here is Long& McQuade, which I've never had problems with(they're quite good over there), and some local little store/house called Musician's Friend, which is alright. So I don't really have any horror stories for you. If you're Canadian though, go to Long and McQuade. Save yourself the trouble.
'Strings' in Bristol, TN/VA. Rudest staff ever. I went in, looked at their various instrument rooms, headed upstairs, tested two or three electric guitars over the course of about 10 minutes (at very reasonable volumes, mind you), walked down the hall, tested five acoustics, walked back into the electric guitar room to test another electric guitar. On my way down the hall, my friend heard the proprietor say, "God, he's going to make every f***ing racket in the world." My friend comes down the hall, tells me that the salesmen "are being dicks" and that we should leave. We walk back down the hall, proprietor starts cussing us, calling us "f***ing punks", tells us to go the music store down the street with all of the other "f***ing morons", and that his shop isn't an amp rental store.

Tough to buy a guitar when you aren't allowed to test around. I could have been packing 5 grand in my wallet and the guy basically kicked us out. Currently hatching a revenge plan, probably including the selection of the most expensive instrument on sale; just when I'm checking out, I'll ask who to make the check out to, tell them I got the store mixed up with the one down the street and that my cousin received an extremely rude welcome at this particular establishment, so I'm going down the street to purchase an expensive instrument with all the other "f***ing morons." =)
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Damn, that sounds awesome.

But Glen Drover gives guitar lessons at the Brampton Long and McQuade, so there

Glen Drover gives lessons in Brampton?! I hope you're serious. I'll check this out tomorrow I guess. Also, I didn't know you lived in Brampton. Any other Brampton-ites here?
Quote by Raptorfingers
The flipside:

Such a fantastic store, I concur.
but, is it me, or is Guitar Works grossly overpriced?
Page 1 of 3