I'm planning to buy one and makes me wonder what's the difference.
Reviews say that DS-2 gives you an option to switch to sort of "heavier, metal distortion" but nothing else.

Is the "normal" mode exactly the same on both of them?
and btw, the "metal mode" on DS-2 any worth the extra cash or just a toy compared to real metal pedals?
No, they both suck. don't but em'
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by niikuu
kept hearing load of good about DS1 hmm well
any suggestions for a distortion pedal then? around the same price

The DS1 isn't HORRIBLE, if you mod it it'd be great. stock it's muddy and metallic
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
The DS1 isn't HORRIBLE, if you mod it it'd be great. stock it's muddy and metallic

I wouldn't call it muddy... I would call it thin. It is thin and sharp sounding. I have found no good use for it... even the keeley modded version is still harsh. Honesty, you aren't going to get a decent pedal for forty dollars.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
ya it definitely sounds like someone stripped out all the bass and mids and shoved your signal down through a straw.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
TS, out of curiosity, what amp are you using? Also, what styles of music do you play?
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Ferrets!
TS, out of curiosity, what amp are you using? Also, what styles of music do you play?

my amp is cheap but good crap from Rocktron, ofc not tube
about styles well, i like to do a lot of solo guitar that has a "presence" hence thought a distortion pedal would go nicely combined with OD which i already have, for some "highlighting"
The DS-2 is better than the DS-1, and it doesnt have a"metal" mode, its a "Turbo" mode. If you think the DS-2 sucks, listen to some John Frusciante youtube vids.
Quote by RHCPFitz
The DS-2 is better than the DS-1, and it doesnt have a"metal" mode, its a "Turbo" mode. If you think the DS-2 sucks, listen to some John Frusciante youtube vids.
If I'm not mistaken, his DS-2 is modded, but don't quote me on that. Either way though, having a good amp plays a huge role in his tone too. Running a DS-2 into a crappy amp is just going to sound crappy.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
the turbo mode is not a metal mode and it does the complete opposite to scooping mids. i adds lots of mids and it kind of sounds like distortion with a half cocked wah. the ds2 is an ok pedal and i used to love mine but these days i see there are much better pedals out there but your gonna have to spend alot more money. the normal mode on the ds2 is really similar to a ds1.
Quote by Ferrets!
Running a DS-2 into a crappy amp is just going to sound crappy.

Given how many pros have used the DS-1 or DS-2 and gotten good to great tones out of it, I'd say that running it into a great amp is going to sound great. For that matter running any pedal, including some overpriced b00t33k pedal into a crappy amp is gonna sound crappy.

I'd get the DS-2. Normal mode is a clone of the older DS-1's voicing, Turbo mode is higher gain.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
save up for a digitech hardwire sc-2 valve distortion
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by STABxYOU
Given how many pros have used the DS-1 or DS-2 and gotten good to great tones out of it, I'd say that running it into a great amp is going to sound great. For that matter running any pedal, including some overpriced b00t33k pedal into a crappy amp is gonna sound crappy.

I'd get the DS-2. Normal mode is a clone of the older DS-1's voicing, Turbo mode is higher gain.

this is the about only post so far i've seen in this thread that isn't full of bandwagon. and you're totally right - the DS-1 and 2 are good if you can make them sound good. Although they just don't match some gear too well.

The only thing i disagree with here is that it's not always about the quality of the rest of your gear that inflences whether these pedals sound good or not, a lot of the time it's to do with experience and your ability to play.. i can make a DS-1 into a marshall MG100DFX sound alright. I've played a gig using that setup and people liked the tone, the guy whose rig i borrowed also asked me how i made his god awful rig sound good. I wasn't entirely satisfied with how i sounded but it did the job.. But i have been playing for a long time. Give that rig to a professional, someone with a distinct sound that we all recognise, say, slash for example.. and he'll still sound like slash, the quality of the tone coming from the amp won't be as good, but he'll still sound like a professional guitarist, because he is. (disclaimer: i'm not a fan of slash. it was just an example).

Ultimately.. ignore all the dumb stuff like "Metal mode= same distortion with scooped mids=fail" which doesn't even remotely apply to any of the pedals in this thread, and go and try them out in a shop and see if you like them..
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Yeah blompcube and stabxyou are spot on. I actually have a ds-2 and its ok. The normal mode is basically the ds-1 (i have used both and they sound pretty much the same) the turbo mode is a higher gain setting.
They are a long way from being the greatest pedals around but for the price they are very good so if your on a budget like i was when i got mine you cant argue. You can also plug a footswitch into the ds-2 so you can switch easily between the settings.
The ds-1 sound isnt good for leads. i use this when i do rhythm stuff as its pretty beefy but it doesnt cut through the mix enough to be used for leads. Even with the tone all the way up. The turbo setting probably will but its a bit trebley and i have a better pedal now that i use for that.
Quote by nightraven
so i guess every distortion pedal out there will sound good
with all due respect -- have you played anything beyond a ds-1 and a ds-2?
i'm not talking $400 distortion pedals here, but seriously, anyone can do a lot better than Turbo II mode on the ds-2. sure it's always possible to get a 'usable' sound out of a distortion pedal but in comparison with pretty much EVERYTHING -- the ds-2 turbo II mode is without a doubt one of the worst dirt sounds i've used/
to get something slightly usable out of it i had to dial the mids out of everything else and it really wasn't worth the trouble.
maybe if it's the only distortion pedal anywhere nearby and you seriously need distortion for this one song you're playing, but your post is making it out to be some uber sleeper underrated pedal, and it's not. the ordinary ds-1 sound is SO much better than turbo II.

i could go on for weeks discussing this, because i like to talk about gear I know the DS-2's mid-boost mode is practically useless to most people thus making the pedal completely redundant against the cheaper DS-1, which then falls into the category "generic cheap distortion pedal". I'm not trying to make it out to be a hidden gem or anything like that, I just think there's a bit of a bandwagon against the DS-1 and 2 (a good example would be that we always get contradictions whenever people are trying to describe what is specifically wrong with the sound) when actually they can be very good pedals if you specifically want something dry and sterile sounding that isn't going to do anything too drastic with your tone - dry and sterile can actually be beneficial in some situations, i'm sure people like this guy didn't buy a DS-1 just because it was the only thing he could get.. if he can get a '65 gibson firebird and a matchless C30 he can get any pedal he wants, yet he chooses to use a stock DS-1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc-jIbLN6QQ

(yes, that is a DS-1 that the lead guitarist is using at the beginning of this song, unfortunately the recording doesn't do it justice).
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by nightraven
that guy has some nice sounds in there but he's a v. good player and has a great amp (two qualities you don't see too much of in GG&A )
i know the vid doesn't do it justice but i'm POSITIVE he could do much better with a more exotic distortion or OD pedal than a ds-1 and i bet he has some fancier equipment at home. if i were in a gigging band i would no doubt settle for a cheap alternative set of dirt boxes than my precious old ibanez ODs.
anyway, i haven't seen much of the anti boss bandwagon in this thread at all (except for the usual bostonrocks shenanigans). it just has to be said that you can't plug a ds-2 turbo mode into a GG&A transistor amp and expect the rhcp sound, and you know how lightweight the bandwagon is, if people misread your post you'll sway the wagon the complete wrong direction and there'll be people rec'ing ds-1s left and right... great image of GG&A we got going there...
dry and sterile can be beneficial in certain very specific places, but so can absurdly large amounts of fizzy distortion - nobody's promoting the mt-2 around here i've never seen someone seeing sterile as a redeeming quality unless they're trying to prove and justify to themselves their crappy gear buying decisions

i dunno if it's just my imagination but i actually like sterile pedals better when they are being run into an amp which colours the tone enough as it is.. i think too much tonal colour can be a bit "washy" if you know what i mean. Can't really think of a better way to explain it i know what i mean

although i see what you mean about bandwagons, and the DS-1/2 not being suitable for your average GG&A'er rig.

I see what you mean about bandwagons though.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by nightraven
there's a difference between sterile and transparent dirt boxes

i know.. i guess the DS-2 must be both to a certain extent, and it's probably the transparency i feel the benefit of when boosting my VC30, but it also takes away the "sterile" aspect of it too. It also sounds alright (not sterile at least) into the clean channel of my H||H when i've got the "valve sound" activated because this colours the sound in an attempt at sounding "tube like" and fails at that but still gives a nice colourful solid state clean tone that's good for running pedals into.

wait why all this just because i like the boss distortions anyway? not that i'm complaining, it just seems to have thrown the thread off topic a bit... well we're still talking about the relevant pedals i guess...
Rig Winter 2017:

A stock DS-1 does two things well: Nirvana and Joe Satriani.

If I were you I'd get it and do this mod and circuit bend it as well. Then it will be a beastly fuzz pedal and also a nice od.
Quote by imicius
A stock DS-1 does two things well: Nirvana and Joe Satriani.

If I were you I'd get it and do this mod and circuit bend it as well. Then it will be a beastly fuzz pedal and also a nice od.

that is assuming you are only planning on playing covers and trying to exactly replicate the tones on those covers. and i thought i'd already proved that they are also good for steely dan type sounds as well
Rig Winter 2017: