I wanted to build a guitar for a while though, but you have to walk before you can run so I'm going to try a smaller/easier project (mostly to get the wiring and how to put it together part down, before I actually start making a body, fretboard, etc...)
So what I was thinking of doing here, was buying a really cheap guitar and then just mod the shit out of it so its actually pretty awesome.

What I was thinking was probably get one thats made out of decent wood, and has 24 frets (although I can probably change the neck). Can anyone shoot me a suggestion?
If you're thinking about replacing the neck....why not just buy a separate body too i.e. make up the whole thing?

If you do end up buying a full guitar and modding it though, make sure it's a decent guitar. £500 of extra hardware doesn't stop a plank from being a plank
Last edited by sgwielder at May 24, 2010,
www.rondomusic.com

there are GREAT project guitars at even better prices.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by sgwielder
If you're thinking about replacing the neck....why not just buy a separate body too i.e. make up the whole thing?

If you do end up buying a full guitar and modding it though, make sure it's a decent guitar. £500 of extra hardware doesn't stop a plank from being a plank

EMG's do, though.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
No, those just make a plank firewood.

Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
I agree with Burgery!
I started my customising adventures with an Encore I've pimped out; did the Encore because I really like the fingerboard, put some EMGs in it, upgraded the hardware and set it up. Now it's lush to play!
Well if I just get a body by itself, what type of wood should I get? I'm trying to make a guitar that sounds sorta like the main one in this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl9IGwoYCms but not limited to it, and not exactly (maybe a little different its hard to explain.
What woods really sturdy and good for guitars though is what I'm asking (I'm new to this whole type of deal). If its basically a opinion, whats the difference between different types of wood?

As far as looks... warlocks are pretty cool, I'm just going for whats cheapest I'm just experimenting (but I don't want my money to go to waste at the same time)
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at May 24, 2010,
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Well if I just get a body by itself, what type of wood should I get?

There are many many good 'tone' woods, but generally for a fairly generic metal sound like that, mahogany would be a safe bet. I kinda like Swamp Ash too, sounds interesting through a high-gain amp (IMO).

Search around for other peoples opinions, look at guitars you like the sounds of and see what they're made of, etc.

Good luck!