So I've been curious about this idea for a while. I have decent electrical ability, have modded some pedals and built one before (with a step-by-step guide, granted lol), and now that I'm having Craig (CECamps) build me an amp, in an effort to try to understand the process, components, and how different things affect what, I'm interested in trying to build a small amp myself.

What I'm wondering, is what would be the course of action to go about building a 1/4 or 1/2 watt tube amp? Just a really small deal, something along the line of the Lil' Mo' ( http://www.redironamps.com/amplilmo.html ) and the Little Lanilei ( http://www.mahaffayamps.com/little-lanilei-quarter-watt.htm ). All I'm wanting is the input, a single knob that controls volume/gain, and an 8 ohm output. I'm guessing the way it works is an internal fixed tone stack?

Anyways, if someone has any information they'd like to share, schematics, advice, a possible materials list? Whatever you could help out with to get me pointed in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!
I would say a lot of reading.

Assuming you already know a bit about electronics, just not tubes and amps, this is a fairly good place to start:
Valve Wizard
Also, there is an Amp Building Tutorial that is very helpful.
Electronics Thread
How Tubes Work
Just about anything on This site.

There was another place that had a normal tube pin layout that explained things very well, and I don't know where it is, or if I've already posted it...

EDIT: This one, I don't know why I always have so much trouble finding it.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1223425

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Last edited by MonkeyLink07 at May 24, 2010,
Quote by MonkeyLink07
I would say a lot of reading.

Assuming you already know a bit about electronics, just not tubes and amps, this is a fairly good place to start:
Valve Wizard
Also, there is an Amp Building Tutorial that is very helpful.
Electronics Thread
How Tubes Work
Just about anything on This site.

There was another place that had a normal tube pin layout that explained things very well, and I don't know where it is, or if I've already posted it...

Thanks! I've been doing a bit of searching on here reading through all kinds of sites and whatnot that I've seen posted. I'll check these out as well though
Check out the AmpMaker amps, apparently the instructions are meant to be extremely detailed.

Tweed Style: (Easiest out the kits on the site)
http://www.ampmaker.com/wf-55-4w-tweed-style-amp-830-0.html
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
why not just use like two 12ax7s, three for the preamp, one as the output? maybe even a straight plexi preamp, then another 12ax7 as the output driving an OT? it's easy calculating the Zout... although a 12DW7 might be better (with the 12AU7 side being the output stage).

i dunno. never looked into it, but seems possible.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Sorry to hijack your thread, but on most amp safety articles it mentions it's a good idea to have a Multimeter capable of withstanding 500VDC. My multimeter says Cat II 600V Max but also Cat III 300V Max...Is that okay? :/
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by AntiG3
Sorry to hijack your thread, but on most amp safety articles it mentions it's a good idea to have a Multimeter capable of withstanding 500VDC. My multimeter says Cat II 600V Max but also Cat III 300V Max...Is that okay? :/

I typically don't care about hijacking because usually it's something related to the topic... in this case... wtf man? There's a thread at the top for small questions that don't need a thread.

Jak: awesome link! I'm looking into it, but how customizable is it? Because that's really my purpose - tweaking stuff to see what affects what.

Shot: wanna tell me how? Sounds great, I just have no clue how to go about that lol
antig3; well, what's your amp? and where does it say those max ratings? o_o

um, it's hard to say. i say just make a 5E1 champ and crank the shit out of it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by josephde
I typically don't care about hijacking because usually it's something related to the topic... in this case... wtf man? There's a thread at the top for small questions that don't need a thread.
It is kinda related, in all of the build threads they mention that you need a multimeter with a 500V rating to test large caps.

ECisthebest: On the multimeter :P
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!