Hey guys, I've got a job interview with Target tomorrow for a cashier's position. I was wondering if anyone here worked for Target and if so could tell me what to expect the interview to be like, such as what type of questions they ask. Also, if anyone just had any interview tips they want to share that'd be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I used the searchbar but the only thread similar to this was one from 2008 and that was about a security position. If I somehow missed a more recent and relevant thread I apologize.
Currently listening to:
Mock Orange
Tiger's Jaw
American Football
Piebald
Is this your first job/interview?

They're going to expect you to have good charisma and see if you're a people person.

As well as the usual, formal dress, shaven, groomed, etc.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
They will just basically ask you questions about your last job then ask you some questions about customers and customer service and all that kind of stuff. Remeber first impressions are everything so look professional.
I work at Target.

I got the job but just a heads up, DO NOT DO what I did: First question in the interview "So what do you know about Target?"
I sat there awkwardly for something like 30 seconds before saying "Well... you sell stuff...." xD

Good luck.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
@ JayT44: this is my first interview, but not my first job. I used to be a delivery boy for a caterer, but that was off-the-books so to speak and didn't require an interview.

Also, how formal are we talking? When I received the call for the interview, they said that dressing formally wasn't required, so I'm not sure how much is too much. Like I figure a suit would be overkill, but maybe a tie wouldn't be. What do you guys think?
Currently listening to:
Mock Orange
Tiger's Jaw
American Football
Piebald
I've worked at Target for a year and a half and counting. Just come in looking professional (and in red and khaki helps) be confident and friendly. What helps for interviews is to write down any experiences you've had at other jobs or at school which may be good answers for questions, be specific!!! The details help us see what you're about. and remember Guest Service Guest Service Guest Service lol Good Luck!!!
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
Quote by VVolverin3
I work at Target.

I got the job but just a heads up, DO NOT DO what I did: First question in the interview "So what do you know about Target?"
I sat there awkwardly for something like 30 seconds before saying "Well... you sell stuff...." xD

Good luck.

Usually they ask you some variation on this question. Every interview ive had they also asked me why I want to work there. Usually I just say I like the store or I like people or something like that.

Quote by DC EP
@ JayT44: this is my first interview, but not my first job. I used to be a delivery boy for a caterer, but that was off-the-books so to speak and didn't require an interview.

Also, how formal are we talking? When I received the call for the interview, they said that dressing formally wasn't required, so I'm not sure how much is too much. Like I figure a suit would be overkill, but maybe a tie wouldn't be. What do you guys think?

Usually I go in to interviews with khakis and a collared shirt of some kind.
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at May 24, 2010,
Shirt + tie. Know what they do/sell.

Have some answers prepared to common questions. They're bound to ask things along the lines of "tell me about a time you showed good teamwork?" or "describe a time where you provided good customer service?"

They know it's your first job (presumably) and so aren't expecting to list off "in 1978 when i was working in..." even stuff at school about working together on some coursework/being in a band shows team work.

Remember a job interview tests 3 things
1) Can you do the job efficiently and reliably? (incl. are you trustworthy)
2) Can you uphold the image of the company? (i.e. pleasant to customers, not scruffy looking, neat shelf stacking)
3) Will you get on working within the company (you'll work with your interviewer remember, if they like you personally then it's a huge plus as they'll have to work with you day to day)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I was thinking of wearing a button shirt and khaki or black dress pants, should I include the tie as well? Also, would a nice polo work instead or should I stick to the button shirt?

If you guys have anymore tips, keep 'em coming please.
Currently listening to:
Mock Orange
Tiger's Jaw
American Football
Piebald
These guys dont know what they're talking about.

Go naked, when they see your baby penis they will feel pity and hire you.
Quote by supersac
ive won an argument with a girl but then i still lost
Quote by rgrockr
I guess that's why my ass was sore when I woke up this morning.

It is now my goal to get skylerjames13 to BURN OUT
Every thread I touch closes
I ENJOY SKAAAAAAA
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for all the tips. They were incredibly helpful, and because of them I was able to get the job . Especially this guy's:

Quote by thefunk
These guys dont know what they're talking about.

Go naked, when they see your baby penis they will feel pity and hire you.

This man knows what he's talking about
Currently listening to:
Mock Orange
Tiger's Jaw
American Football
Piebald
Quote by VVolverin3
I work at Target.

Good luck.

exact same here!

I've been a cart attendant/cashier for 3 years now, and I messed up my interview badly. I made up a bunch of my answers ("Talk about a time where you helped someone in need", I improvised a story about a friend collapsing during soccer practice) and sat awkwardly without answering. Just answer the questions as best as you can and talk a lot.

EDIT: ^Didn't see this was old. Congrats
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Nah, fella just go in there a be yourself! Don't worry what they be thinkin'. They like ya more if ya be normal and not some ankle biter who's not willin' to argue the toss! But mate, just be well dressed, lookin' nice and shit aye? Be confident too, fella. Good luck mate
Quote by whalepudding
That is the most Australian post I've ever seen.

Fuckin' oath, fella!!
Quote by 'GoodnightHero'
i absolutely fucking love you.
and it has nothing to do with your lego ACDC fetish.

Strewth, cobber! Good on ya!