I'm looking to get my first bass, been playing guitar so far. But I have no idea where to start looking.

I play a lot of genres (mainly metal though) and would like something versatile and not cheap, I'm not looking for a 200 dollar squier or something, I want quality. Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You're plugging an interface into an interface...

Interfaception

Pls tell me what is Interfaception. and how to solve.

Take a look at the MIM Fender Jazz or Precision models.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Well not cheap is a lot of instruments. What exactly is your budget?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
While id say a nice thunderbird such as i learned on i believe a P bass of some sort would be easier for a first. Schecters are very good quality and tone. All kinds of prices as well.
My budget is around 700. I was looking at some shecters, I like they're look but I wasn't able to try them out.
Quote:

Interfaception

Ibanez gsr200; brilliant starter, well-suited for metal, excellent induction into Ibanez basses
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
Is the $700 for both a bass and an amp then?

Schecter's are fine instruments, but they're a try-before-you-buy thing. Some people absolutely cannot stand the way they feel.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
im gonna try it out first regardless of the brand. im not sure about the amp yet, so lets just say 700 for a bass only
Quote:

Interfaception

Well in that case, you can't go wrong with a Fender MIM Precision or Jazz. Other things to look at would be Ibanez (the SR or ATK series), a Traben Array Limited, a Spector Legend, a G&L Tribute JB-2 or L2000, or a Sterling Ray 34. There are tons of options, for both 4 strings and 5 strings with that kind of budget.

If you're willing to go used, $700 puts you in the range of used Warwick Corvettes, higher end Ibanez SR's, possibly even used MIA Fender's if you get a good deal. Craigslist can be your best friend.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
thanks, il look around
Quote:

Interfaception

Looking second hand will generate plenty of bargains.

Otherwise i would recommend perhaps Fender-P, mid-ranged ESP's, Peaveys, Ibanezs.
Its really best to look around.
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"