So, it's finally time to get a cab. My question is, how do I go about choosing one?
There are so many options...so many brands...
How do I know which is right for me? I don't have the option to try each and every cab available, so that makes it rough.

I'm going to buy a Bugera 6262 head or a 333XL, and later upgrade when I have more experience. I plan on keeping the cab I get, so I want to get it right the first time, unless that's not doable.

Looking for a 4x12 cab for metal playing (Between the Buried and Me, KSE, Whitechapel, PTH, etc.). I want one that will help me get as close to this tone as possible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laLK6cG7ewU 1:33 - 1:36. That tight and punchy low-end sound.

What other information do you guys need to help suggest a cab to get?

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by OGHotWing at May 24, 2010,
cabinets are:
1 cabinet
2 speakers
3 wiring
4 design

first off is cabinet, the construction is generally a marine grade baltic birch ply, it is voidless and doesn't resonate(or shake, shaking is bad in that efficiency is lost). cheaper cabs use plywood and press board. mdf is usually to heavy to use with a mobile cab, so it is avoided. older cabs (and some newer) are known to use pine which flex's and has a unique sound. but the modern concept is less resonant wood is preferable because of a more efficient sound transfer so a thick baltic birch ply (~17mm, or ~1/4") is considered premium. most baltic birch comes from a few sources and a few manufacturers and quality is considered fairly flat across the manufacturers from what i hear. basically baltic birch's quality is independent of source and is considered fairly consistent across manufacturers for all intents and purposes.

most cabs use joints to attach the sides of the cabs together. a cab using fasteners(like staples, screws or nails) are considered of lesser quality. most cabs will use finger or dovetail jointing, i don't really see one advantage over another, i hear dovetail is a bit more complicated to do but looks more ornate (but i may be wrong).

second: speakers. these are their own beast themselves. their voicing and components lend themselves to their purposes. matching a speaker for impedance, power handling, response, tone, etc is a personal process. most people start with V30's, and those are pretty good 'beginner' speakers for those who don't know what they want yet. some people like them in the long run, but most will move onto something more specific. examples: g12m-25's for classic rock tone, g12K-100 for metal, alnico blue for boutique low powered amps, etc.

but the points you must consider are the technical, if your head has a 16 ohm out, then get a cab wired for 16 ohms. if it only has 8 ohm, then get an 8 ohm wired cab. also, you must consider power handling. if you have a 50 watt head, then you'll want speaker that handle at least 50 watts total (if you like speaker breakup) or about 75 to 100 watts(if you like a flat response across your volume range and a tighter sound, i recommend this for metal).

third: wiring. this can get complicated, but i'll use a 2x12 for example, cuz it is a bit more simple. you can wire a 2x12 in series or parallel(parallel has extra low end and smooths the signal). you can also wire it for mono or stereo output(or both). these choices have multiple consequences, the easiest is just to wire the whole cab mono for 8 or 16 ohm.

fourth design. this deals with multiple facets previously mentioned, but it is intertwines those with other concerns such as open or closed back design, dimensions, speak number size and orientation. impedance rating is also relevant to applications

all these factors (and many more) contribute to the overall tone of an amp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Crate cab 4x12 can give you a really mean sound when driven to the edge.
What's your budget?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
What's your budget?

Can spend up to a grand on a cab. I'm not sure if I should just get a beginner one, or one I plan on sticking with. I mean, I know what tone I want for sure, but will I have to change the cab depending on when I change the head?

E: By "beginner," I mean "cheap."
Look into a Vader 4x12. Will definitely suit you.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by denied
^ If he has a grand to spend, I don't see why he'd get an avatar. They are fantastic BUDGET cabs.

For the style of music you play, look into a Mesa Recto

Because he doesn't seem to know much at all about cabs so I doubt he'll notice the difference in quality. To be honest I don't. Not saying it isn't there, just that I think Avatars are as good as anything else to the average person's ears. Why spend almost double if he won't or will barely hear a difference?

Edit: Also because I've had a bunch of cabs but the only one I've really been impressed with was my Avatar, so that's the only informed opinion I can make. If someone asks about features I'll recommend something I haven't tried if it fits, but for sound quality I try to only comment when I have used the gear in question.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 25, 2010,
Quote by tubetime86
Because he doesn't seem to know much at all about cabs so I doubt he'll notice the difference in quality. To be honest I don't. Not saying it isn't there, just that I think Avatars are as good as anything else to the average person's ears. Why spend almost double if he won't or will barely hear a difference?

Edit: Also because I've had a bunch of cabs but the only one I've really been impressed with was my Avatar, so that's the only informed opinion I can make. If someone asks about features I'll recommend something I haven't tried if it fits, but for sound quality I try to only comment when I have used the gear in question.

i have played avatar and i have played many others, to tell truth i can't tell a tonal difference with an open back bluesbreaker style avatar and anything else.

the true test will be to do a true side by side with my ppc212 and one of their contemporaries.

but i have asked the question many times:

"why is avatar less good?", quote from old thread
i would like to ask the above people: Why do you believe mesa cabs are so good? or at least so much better than avatar cabs?

lets look at this. a cab is 4 main things: speakers, wiring, cabinet/materials, design.

mesa and avatar use the same speakers pretty much, celestion V30's are stock. avatar offers many more options on speaker with no trouble. advantage: avatar.

wiring. this is sad, but no one solders the speaker connections anymore, everyone uses a wiring harness with speaker clips. advantage: push.

cabinet/materials. this one is a little more objective, but i'll give it a go. both cabinets are made of something like a 17/18 mm marine grade baltic birch voidless ply. this ply of baltic birch comes from few sources and the raw materials come from mainly one supplier(this is what i have read anyway). everyone constructs cabinets with either dovetails or finger joints. advantage: push

design: this is where, i guess, people think mesa just wins out. i will not understate the importance of cabinet design for prejection and tonal purposes, but really guitar cabs are pretty forgiving compared to designing a 3-way ported hi-fi cabinet. and frankly i have never been impressed(at all) with mesa sound, i have preferred many other cabs side by side to a mesa. but the general consensus is what counts so i'll say advantage: mesa

but looking at the above comparison i still can't see design factoring that much into an advantage for mesa(after all avatar design are based on popular tried-and-true models). so if they use the same speakers and wood and the jointing and construction are fundamentally similar then mesa proponents answer me these 2 questions:

1) where is mesa's edge in the comparison to avatar?
2) is that edge worth the significantly higher price tag?

replace 'mesa' with brand X and the debate is valid. still i get response like, "i don't know, but i know what sounds better and it's blah blah blah". imo some things you get what you pay for, but buying a name brand cab is not one. if you want to match you head and get something aesthetically cool that is one thing, but try not to trick yourself into believing you are getting a 'better' product with name brand. most manufacturers like splawn, carr or ceriatone get a thrid party like mather to build their cabs anyway.

-ae
^I remember that post, and I agree entirely. I do, however, believe that SOME people hear a difference. I just know that I don't and I believe most people here are just bandwagoning.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i just wish people would come clean. i will admit flat out: I would have gotten an avatar over my orange ppc212 had i known about it then, it would have come with the options i wanted too, wired to my spec with my speakers; but i am happy with my orange ppc212 cuz the damn thing is pretty.

if you want the pretty uniquely orange tolex, emblem, and paper mache grill then be prepared to pay the extra cash for it. but that is about all you are paying cash for.

i hate to pick denied out like he is the poster boy for this but

Quote by denied
^ If he has a grand to spend, I don't see why he'd get an avatar. They are fantastic BUDGET cabs.

For the style of music you play, look into a Mesa Recto

but i just don't see this as good argument. for a BUDGET cab, it hangs with the competition just fine, and in many areas of customization it kinda buries it competition.

besides, i have played more mesa cabs than any other manufacturer, and i am not impressed at all. i would trade a mesa cab for the right avatar cab without hesitation. i was sure that mesa made crap cabs 'til i play out their oversized 4x12 and then their old cab with the nightshadows and EVM-12's. both those cabs were good, but not good enough to the price either way.

if you want to go name brand then i highly recommend going used, as many people have mentioned, used will knock the price down to avatar prices. also not mentioned, avatars don't have the best resale value.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at May 25, 2010,