shredding?????????????????

my friend who doesn't really play guitar thinks guitarists like hendrix/slash/page/van halen/prince can shred

i told em they weren't really true shredders (no disrespect to any of those guitarists, i actually admire them more than people like vai/satch/malmsteen)

so is there like a BPM cut off between the two?
no
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
It has more to do with the technique than the speed, imo.

isn't technique associated with speed?
Not BPM, but just plain speed. Of course, there's no definite cuttoff, and those people aren't shredders, but Paul Gilbert can shred 32nd notes at 200 BPM and still make it sound good. I can play quarter notes at 200 BPM, is that shredding? He can also play 64th notes at 100 BPM, I can play eigths, who's shredding? It's speed, not beats per minute. Even then, there's no definite separation between the two.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by CarmenJuandeago
my friend who doesn't really play guitar thinks guitarists like hendrix/slash/page/van halen/prince can shred

Well he's right about Van Halen and Prince (well, arguably).

I'd say the difference isn't just speed, but also phrasing/tone/attitude. See this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXOWqkLNECk .
Bro Eddie Van Halen was one of the first real "shredders."
Gear:
G&L Legacy
Fender Champ 600

SKYNYRD!
Quote by billy0805
Bro Eddie Van Halen was one of the first real "shredders."

i know, but after actually analyzing van halen I, most of his speed lies in his unique legato licks/tapping and so on... rather than like you know 14 notes per second/sweeping type stuff

not saying he's not an amazing guitarist, because his phrasing/attack is something that can't be easily replicated
There's no shredder exam players have to pass, it's a purely subjective term. Nobody refers to themselves as a "shredder", only the people around them - that being the case the discussion is moot. Everyone's got their own idea in their head as to what qualifies as "shredder" when ultimately it's just a vague, catch-all term for playing the guitar really fast....what classes as really fast is going to be down to your frame of reference, if Hendrix is the fastest guitarist you've ever listened to then nobody else is really qualified to tell you he doesn't "shred".

Nobody in their right mind can say "Eddie Van Halen isn't a shredder" with a straight face though. Same goes or Vai and Satch, those two are bona-fide shredder gods....are you on drugs or something?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 25, 2010,
Quote by steven seagull
Same goes or Vai and Satch, those two are bona-fide shredder gods....

See I would consider them guitar gods but not shredder gods. When I think shredder I think picking every single note, lots of straight 16th notes, and not so much along the lines of creativity. Vai and Satch could be shredder gods but they're better than that.

Quote by steven seagull
....are you on drugs or something?

That's beside the point
Quote by van01010100
See I would consider them guitar gods but not shredder gods. When I think shredder I think picking every single note, lots of straight 16th notes, and not so much along the lines of creativity. Vai and Satch could be shredder gods but they're better than that.

That's beside the point

+1
"I'm not retreating, I'm initiating an offensive manouvre in the opposite direction!"
It just has to do with technical ability. There isn't a set speed or anything like that. The speed is generally a byproduct of the skill. Even if a person isn't going super fast alternate they can still be called a shredder. It's more an honourific. The way you could say someones really good like "that guy shreds". Most people I think misconstrue it as purely about like speed alt picking. That though is simply one thing that many great guitarists employ, but it isn't the defining characteristic of a "shredder".
It's probably something to do with speed in relation to other guitarists at the time. Jimi Hendrix was fast by late 60s standards, when you compare him to other famous guitarists of the time. Van Halen pretty much started off the 80s shredding thing where most shredders came from. Since the 80s people haven't become too much faster I think, at least not to the average person listening.

So basically "shredding" = fast playing. But a lot of people would also argue that it's needlessly fast playing, adding notes just for the hell of it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I think "shredding" is, as everyone else has said, a more subjective thing. I can play a few really fast "shred" licks, just because they're easy licks and I've played them a bazillion times.

But am I "shredder"? Not by a long shot. Would I like to be? Yes.

Will my fat stupid retard gorilla fingers ever allow that? Probably not.

Oh, and Prince, as much as it pains me to say it, is an INCREDIBLE guitar player. I don't know which video for which song it is, but I know at the endof one of his videos he busts off this INSANE little shred solo on that wierd-lookin' Ibanez of his.
"Because I... is a toneschasers." - Skwisgaar Skwigelf

My Gear:

'03 Schecter S-1 Devil Tribal
Peavey 5150 212 Modded
Fender Princeton Chorus "Red Knob"
Peavey Predator Plus
Ibanez Artwood acoustic
Quote by AlanHB
It's probably something to do with speed in relation to other guitarists at the time. Jimi Hendrix was fast by late 60s standards, when you compare him to other famous guitarists of the time. Van Halen pretty much started off the 80s shredding thing where most shredders came from. Since the 80s people haven't become too much faster I think, at least not to the average person listening.

So basically "shredding" = fast playing. But a lot of people would also argue that it's needlessly fast playing, adding notes just for the hell of it.

Hendrix wasn't even fast by those standards bearing in mind that Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin, Paco de Lucia and Al Di Meola were all active musicians at that time. Even before that guys like Les Paul and Django Reinhardt were busting out faster and cleaner licks than Hendrix did for the most part.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.