Page 1 of 2
Just heard about that from a friend.

RIP.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Never really liked Slipknot (at all) but it always sucks when someone like this dies.

RIP
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Slipknow sucks. They better not pull a Metallica

Ibanez Artcore -> my baby
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone SG
VOX AD100VTH
Digitech RP500 Effects Processor
Crybaby Classic Wah
Boss Flanger
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Boss 2 way Channel Switch
I don't like Slipknot at all, but either way, somebody died, and that's serious. It's like with Avenged Sevenfold, a lot of people aren't really fans, but they recognized a human had died and not flamed them.

I do wonder what my friend, who wears the same 2 Slipknot shirts for weeks, will say when I tell him this, they're one of the few bands he listens to.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
I'm not a bassist myself, but a big Slipknot fan. RIP Paul. Such a tragedy
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
I never liked Slipknot, but its a sad day every time someone dies. Especially at such a young age too

RIP
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
What he did personally as a musician wasn't amazing but he did with a band was no doubt impressive. Slipknot really helped shape the current metal scene and whether you like them for that or not it's no doubt something to be admired and the fact that he was a part of them makes him sort of a veteran that was KIA.

Really sad and I pray for the best for his family and bandmates

RIP man and thanks for helping mold the genre
Probably my first favourite bassist. I loved the tone on Self-Titled, it was very much of the era (scooped mids, woofy and clanky), song like Purity and Spit it out especially. It would have been interesting if he had tried to bring in his MFKR style of bass playing into the more commercial Slipknot albums.

Oh well, I strangely feel rather sad about his death. RIP.
Too many deaths in the metal scene.

I was a fan ~4-5 years back, when I wasn't really familiar with the metal scene. He was not an exceptional musician - meh, basically; but haters should at least not bash him right after he died - that is just the plainest form of respect.
oh how sad. he was a decent player. didn't like his eqing much, but he definitely deserves some love.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
R.I.P. He was a good and underrated bassist, and pretty cool guy too from interviews. Focus on the core members of Slipknot (musically), Joey (drums) is very talented, Mick (guitar) is very talented, James (guitar) is very talented, Corey (vocals) is very talented, and Paul is very talented as well, whether you enjoy or hate the type of music that defines their identity. As for Paul, listen to Confessions and Do Nothing - Bitchslap from Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat for his jazz- funky versatility on the bass that no one would have expected.
Co-founded and built up from the bottom an iconic grammy award winning metal band. A decent bassist has been lost.

R.I.P
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
Anyone who doubts his musicianship has no idea about him- he was one of the chief writers in Slipknot and had some great jazz/funk chops. As noted above, being one of the guys that built a 9 piece band from the middle of f*cking nowhere to a grammy-winning, multi-platinum metal band... that takes some real musicianship. Great, the technicality may not be there all the time, but f*ck that. Technical playing isn't and is never everything. Or even necessary.
RIP Paul..
You have been an inspiration to millions..
You will be missed as a musician and a friend..
I used to love Slipknot growing up and was one of the first heavy bands i got into.

Sad day R.I.P Paul.
My son is a Slipknot fan, so I've heard quite a bit over the past few years. His musicianship was solid and he was the perfect bass player for the band. Too many metal guys getting called home as of late
He died from a drug overdose (that is the current diagnosis anyways). I mean, yes he will be missed and yes it is a tragic loss, but he did it to himself.

This should serve as a lesson to the rest of us.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
Quote by Jasonbts
He died from a drug overdose (that is the current diagnosis anyways). I mean, yes he will be missed and yes it is a tragic loss, but he did it to himself.

Simply a rumour, not a diagnosis. The autopsy was scheduled for today and may not even have started yet. So let's not get ahead of things with comments like that, eh?
Quote by Jasonbts

Go back and read John 8:7

Charlie Parker's heroin addiction doesn't make his music that less beautiful nor does it dim its contribution. Cobain's drug and depression issues do not lessen his impact on music.

Its a sad day when we lose any artist because a piece of creativity dies with that person that will never be seen again. Tragedy comes in many forms as does addiction.
Surfacing has an amazing bassline. I will attempt to leanr it in his memory.
RIP
The bass solo on Confessions is actually very good.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
i live just a couple minutes away from where he died. the hotel/suite was rather small for a person with that much money.

rip
I never listened to Slipknot. Heck, I don't even like metal (except for the new Mastodon album..ooo so good), but it's always a shame when a bassist dies. Actually anyone, for that matter. Especially with a baby on the way...

But hey, that's what you get when you mess with drugs and alcohol.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Anyone who doubts his musicianship has no idea about him- he was one of the chief writers in Slipknot and had some great jazz/funk chops.

People in doubt should check out the MFKR album, when Slipknot were genre bendingly brilliant.
Personally I think they have gotten progressively worse with every album, but that's just my taste. MFKR had actual bass solos, and damn good ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwDed5zAjE8 Perfect example.

However, I will never be of the impression that he was an exceptional bassist just because he has passed away.
I wish he had done more on the well known albums like he did on MFKR. Oh well. My condolences to fans of the band,(And the band and his family, of course) I used to love them, and I still respect them very much as musicians.

And to Jasonbts, it is possible to die from the effects of drugs after a long time of being clean. My mom had a friend that was clean for three or four years, and one day, her heart just stopped. Your body can heal some, but some damage, once it's done, it's done.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Simply a rumour, not a diagnosis. The autopsy was scheduled for today and may not even have started yet. So let's not get ahead of things with comments like that, eh?

Yes, but when your body is found with drugs around it and drugs in your system....

Quote by anarkee
Go back and read John 8:7

Charlie Parker's heroin addiction doesn't make his music that less beautiful nor does it dim its contribution. Cobain's drug and depression issues do not lessen his impact on music.

Its a sad day when we lose any artist because a piece of creativity dies with that person that will never be seen again. Tragedy comes in many forms as does addiction.

Yes it's sad to lose any future contributions he might have made to music, but that wasn't my point. I simply meant to say that he died from his own hand. It's sad that he died, but when people say that "he was taken before his time" and "he didn't deserve it" I can't feel any sympathy because he did it to himself.

Quote by Jasonbts
Yes, but when your body is found with drugs around it and drugs in your system....
I tend to doubt that considering no details from the toxicology report or the autopsy have been announced yet other than that there is no evidence of trauma or foul play. It's entirely possible his drug use in the past caused heart failure or aneurysm, even if he had been clean for a few years. He said he had been in 2008 and he's a really honest guy.

Anyway, has anyone seen the press conference they had about his death?
www.slipknot1.com You can see it here.

God, heart-wrenching...
I didn't like Slipknot at all, but it always sucks pretty hard when someone in the music industry dies. There's no denying that he was a skilled musician and worthy of respect, even you don't like Slipknot.

With all due respect, may he rest in peace.
My username lies. I play an LTD.
Quote by Jasonbts

I'd love to know how you managed to get to the scene of the incident to have a look and get the toxicology results long before they're even back in the coroner's hands.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'd love to know how you managed to get to the scene of the incident to have a look and get the toxicology results long before they're even back in the coroner's hands.

I think he must've done it
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
I think he must've done it

It's pretty much proven that it was a result of drugs, you can't deny it when they found his body in a room surounded by used drugs with narcotics in his body system.

This is just dumb. Another idiot who killed himself with f ucking drugs.

He was in one the biggest bands in the world with probably endless money and he decided to kill himself by ODing on drugs..what a f ucking retard.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Quote by Phil Collins
It's pretty much proven that it was a result of drugs, you can't deny it when they found his body in a room surounded by used drugs with narcotics in his body system.

He was in one the biggest bands in the world with probably endless money and he decided to kill himself by ODing on drugs..what a f ucking retard.

I'm sure it's not that simple.
Quote by Nexium
For a 10'er you certainly have found a good avatar.
Quote by Phil Collins

There's no need to be a total prick. It's not as if he just decided to kill himself is it? He may have been addicted, and if you're addicted to drugs it's not as simple as just quitting is it. And it isn't pretty much proven whatsoever. There could have been other people there with him who left, and he may not have had any drugs at all. So try thinking before you start spamming a load of insults at somebody who just died.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Page 1 of 2