Hey guys, I'm wanting some oppinions on this.

Ok, well over the summer im working, and ill be making a good 3000 bucks or so to use on some equipment and I wanted some feedback on what is a really great guitar for me. I'm huge into metal, I play mainly Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, BLS, Children of Bodom and Dethklok. But away from metal, I love Joe Satriani. He's my favorite guitarist. So at first I thought I'd get an ibanez. but the thing is with that, I'm not sure if an ibanez could play all that i do right, ya know? My friend had a lower end ibanez with was around like 400 bucks or so and it had a weird sound to the strings when i used it. just kinda awkward sounding and feeling for heavier stuff. So, I'm unsure what brand and model I should be going for. Could you guys help me out? thanks
Unless you already have one, I'd start with a good amp...you'll always get more return on investment with this, over buying a new guitar.

Based on your music tastes though, I'd be sure you are looking at high-output humbuckers and a fast/thin neck. Ibanez has ones that do this well, but so do Jackson and ESP....best option is to play them all.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Look at the higher end Ibanez Models, like the higher end RG's, Prestige's, Jem's, and even the Jor Satriani Signature, with your budget you could easily afford just about any ibanez model you want.

But tbph a good amp is more important than a good guitar
Grab a higher end Ibanez RG. Personally, even if I had $3000, I'd still go for an RG350DX, just because I've seen what it can do.

A good amp is more than your guitar. Find a great amp first, then try to get a good guitar, just get a rough plan first so you don't accidentally spend too much on an amp and can't get a good guitar.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Well since amps were mentioned, what are some really good amps out there. something that could gig or jam with, that is very versatile for me
I'd personally grab the new Ibanez JS2400 and a good amp, like a Marshall DSL100 or the two-channel JVM.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
They're phenomenal. One with a VHT power amp would be the perfect, uber versatile amp. But really for your list of influences, A DSL100 will do.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

You can find them used for a great price

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
I'd personally grab the new Ibanez JS2400 and a good amp, like a Marshall DSL100 or the two-channel JVM.

I agree with this, the JVM is a great amp.

Also, check out Splawn Nitro's. They are only sold in specific places, but they are amazing. They go for about $2000, and are hand-made.

http://www.splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm

You can also get them with differnet headshell styles, and tolex colors. The tone is excellent. Here is a good demo if you want one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laslLTIPnCo

As for the guitar, check out some higher-end Jacksons, Ibanez, and maybe even a used Gibson Explorer or SG Standard.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at May 24, 2010,
Heres some good amps to look at that are not discontinued

Peavey 6505+
Peavey JSX
Mesa Triple or Double Rectifier
Marshall JVM or JCM2000, also the new JMD series are supposed to be cool but i'm yet to try one
Maybe something from Oragne or Bugera?

TBH I think the Mesa Triple Rec. would be the best, unless you want to go used, in that case I would look for a Marshall JCM 800. Great sounding amp! But all in all Mesa and Peavey would probably be the best brand of amps to suit you.
Last edited by handbanana at May 25, 2010,
Just so you guys know the Marshall JVM is a great amp, but if he's playing metal something with a big more gain is going to be necessary, which is why I suggested the 6505 and the Triple Rectifier.
i woul do at least 1k on amp of appropriate size for you, 1 max on guitar, and the rest on whatever gear you need to tweak your overall setup etc. if not, pocket it.

but like us all, in sure you can easy blow a few hundred to 1000 on some really kick **s effects or gear. even stuff like really thick quality leather straps, amp stands (to elevate the amp) strap locks, wiring mods, etc make a difference.

or upps for the guitars like pickups, tone pros, tuners, etc